Re: Good Dining In Chch?

Postby Butch on Thu 17/Sep/09 9:35pm

Strawberry Fare FTW. Peterborough st.

The Dux is good on hot NW summer evenings, although the buffalo wedges ain't what they used to be.

Bicycle Thief is nice. Easy to rack up a monster of a bill there if you're not careful though.
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby danose on Fri 18/Sep/09 11:08am

Butch wrote:Strawberry Fare FTW. Peterborough st.

especially if you ignore the token mains and cut straight to the serious business of dessert! :thumbsup:

The Dux is good on hot NW summer evenings, although the buffalo wedges ain't what they used to be.

yep - food is functional/filling/cheap - I wouldn't rave about it it but it doesn't suck either (wheras Honeypot which I used to like is awful now)

current fave 'decent' restaurant is Sezn, absolutely fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Most over-rated has to be Schwass (with indochine running a close 2nd)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Butch on Fri 18/Sep/09 11:25am

SF has moved away from a dessert focussed place, they now seem to be more of an all round restaurant. The desserts still do kick serious ass though.

Devils dream cake :love:
Butch

Postby danose on Fri 18/Sep/09 11:28am

Butch wrote:SF has moved away from a dessert focussed place, they now seem to be more of an all round restaurant. The desserts still do kick serious ass though.

recipe for a great night out - start around the corner at Bodhi Tree for mains, then around to SF for dessert :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
danose

Postby grahamt on Fri 18/Sep/09 11:37am

So where did Dean end up going last night - did he heed the advice of the vorbii?
grahamt
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Butch on Fri 18/Sep/09 12:37pm

danose wrote:
Butch wrote:SF has moved away from a dessert focussed place, they now seem to be more of an all round restaurant. The desserts still do kick serious ass though.

recipe for a great night out - start around the corner at Bodhi Tree for mains, then around to SF for dessert :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm hungry..
Butch

Postby RJD on Fri 18/Sep/09 1:05pm

j2hyde wrote:
RJD wrote:
j2hyde wrote:Bicycle thief is very good, as is Indochine. Volcano in Lyttleton is well worth a look for moderately priced and hearty. Saggio Di Vino does great food and has an excellent wine selection but is expensive.

Indochine - Asian for 'over rated'.

Not sure about that. I got a steak and it was great :eh:

Well I'm going again soon (havnt been for 3-4 years) so will see if its improved.

Didnt think the food was that bad, but not great, for a place 100% up its own arse.
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby zephyrheaven on Fri 18/Sep/09 7:09pm

RJD wrote:
j2hyde wrote:
RJD wrote:
j2hyde wrote:Bicycle thief is very good, as is Indochine. Volcano in Lyttleton is well worth a look for moderately priced and hearty. Saggio Di Vino does great food and has an excellent wine selection but is expensive.

Indochine - Asian for 'over rated'.

Not sure about that. I got a steak and it was great :eh:

Well I'm going again soon (havnt been for 3-4 years) so will see if its improved.

Didnt think the food was that bad, but not great, for a place 100% up its own arse.

add foreign barflys at the bar yelling at me for ordering a Bundaberg and coke and telling me I should have a blah blah blah,
I had a nice shrimp/prawn thing there that was amazing, my wife had a lamb thing which was trying too hard, and the rest of our party were vegie weirdo's that ate things that didnt once breathe - it was nice, warm outside on a summers eve - beers etc but I still felt like I wasnt wearing enough labels to be there?

i dunno - its ok, but im more slacker / bogan so winnies and the likes suits me just fine
zephyrheaven
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 18/Sep/09 7:25pm

Yeah the whole Asian fusion thing and faux trendy scene can be a gamble, and I can see how it could easily go all wrong. But I've eaten out a lot at a lot of different places (travel for work, various countries, too much, am so over it I moved to Westport! etc) and for what it's worth I did have a good evening there. Though that might have had something to do with the company that evening. :)

Most tryhard asian fusion place in chch is that wannabe Japanese yakatori place in sol square. Hands down.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Fri 18/Sep/09 8:29pm

zephyrheaven wrote:We have heard alot of people raving about joes garage, mainly a brekkie / lunch thing but could be worth a look http://www.joes.co.nz/

Was great when it first opened up, we were Sunday morning regulars but it went downhill pretty quick. Doesn't have a patch on the Q-town Joes :)
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby nzmatto on Fri 18/Sep/09 9:17pm

There's a big hotel on the square with a really flash restaurant at the bottom of it called Piko Piko (I think) right next to it is a great casual bar / dining area where you get the same food at half the price! I strongly recommend the scotch fillet....I've had it about 10 times there, and I live in Wellywood.....I just keep going back.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby zephyrheaven on Fri 18/Sep/09 9:24pm

sounds like we need a night on the grub/booze dissing all and sundry eatatoriums for the vorbers sometime, beats biking and getting to know each other organically
zephyrheaven
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby radiusq on Fri 18/Sep/09 10:12pm

danose wrote:

Bodhi Tree is fantastic. Me and bosswoman made the mistake of sharing a starter. It was too damn good to let her have her fair share and there was a fair bit of chop stick fencing going on. Delicious food. Will need to revisit soon.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby danose on Sat 19/Sep/09 7:31pm

radiusq wrote:Bodhi Tree is fantastic. Me and bosswoman made the mistake of sharing a starter. It was too damn good to let her have her fair share and there was a fair bit of chop stick fencing going on. Delicious food. Will need to revisit soon.

what I like about the BT is it's got great food and zero pretentiousness - SLG and I rocked up there one sat night on opening time, having been up bouldering at castle hill all day, still in smelly climbing gear - no hassles and same great service as always (though the owner probably wondered why we ordered 5 dishes each :D )
danose

Postby Philthy on Sun 20/Sep/09 7:08am

Best new takeaway - Simo's, no contest. That's right, Simo's, the very fucking good Morrocan place in Cashel street mall now has a "Slow Fast Food" place in Beckenham. Went there last night, loved it, might go back tonight. :thumbsup:
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Canterbury | Christchurch | Food | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting - Latest Posts