Re: Good Commuter Given Circumstances ?

Postby R+P+K on Tue 15/Jul/14 12:18pm

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/KHB ... -dark-blue

KHS TR101 - all set up for commuting out of the box.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby slumdog on Tue 15/Jul/14 3:04pm

disk brakes, mudguards (proper mounts better), puncture proof tyres (upgrade later if need be). Rack if don't like a sweaty back.

Those are my keys to ideal. Then MTB/roadie/fixed/single/belt/internal are all budget and luck and personal taste oriented at $800.

IMHO the right MTB would cross off the ideals, but for less money than a CX/disked roady.

Good luck!
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby Philthy on Tue 15/Jul/14 3:24pm

Decent 26 inch hard tails are cheap as chips second hand on tardme. I bought a rigid fork for $50 for my old one, a couple of continental sport contact slicks and a cheap mudguard and it's the ideal commuter. Don't know why you would want anything else.
Just make sure you leave $100 in the budget for a set of lezyne micro and macro lights and you're golden
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby laworder on Tue 15/Jul/14 4:05pm

You can get decent 3 speed internal gear hub bikes in that price range, which may be all you need if its a shortish commute and not too steep
You may be able to get an 8 speed one on special if you are lucky for around or just over 800 if you are lucky, but you may also find a good used one on trade me.

I got a GT10 Traffic 8 speed IGH bike a few years back for a bit over a 1000, never looked back, and have done thousands of kms on it. Dont know what they retail for now or even if they're still on the market. Can get it in and out of a Mitsi Libero wagon too

Regards
Peter
laworder
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 15/Jul/14 5:24pm

yeah, sorry about that. was getting the number off my phone - no access to tardme at work..
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby bikedog on Tue 15/Jul/14 6:03pm

Thanks guy's, some food for thought there.

Some questions asked which I'll try & cover here.

Am considering riding 1/5th the way to/from work as there is a motorway involved and total distace would be about 23km each way (I'm not that keen).

Yes if weather is real bad, steady rain, I'll take the car and pay the $16 parking fee.

Terrain is varied small hills.

I see it easier to shove a small frame bike into a stationwagon then to try and lift it onto a roof. I don't have a tow bar.

Don't want a bike that looks like Pee Wee Herman was the Salesman.

The Giant Seek looks a go. Which has made me look at Avanti INC 0 ....but they a bit more than I wanted to spend, perhaps I'll wait for a sale ?

Might wait until someone has seasonal sales of something...is there such a sale ? When would that be ? I'm in no great rush so can watch out, as winter now anyway, and can also patiently watch Trademe without having to buy the first thing that comes up.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Tue 15/Jul/14 9:56pm

If you have a wagon with back seats that fold flat then throwing a bike in without having to take the wheel off is probably less hassle than putting it on a roof rack or bike rack. Sweet.

As Philthy says, decent 26 inch hardtail mountain bikes are selling for not too much money these days. Generally not too hard to fit out with mudguards, rack etc as long as it has the appropriate mounts on the frame. Feel free to post links to anything you are looking at on Trademe up here for the Vorbi to critique.

Alternatively, many bike shops have decent prices on bikes in about Oct/Nov when they are changing over to the new season models. You may be able to score a 2014 model for a bit cheaper if the 2015 models are on the way. Exact timing differs for the different brands of bike...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby bikedog on Wed 16/Jul/14 9:49am

Trail wrote:Alternatively, many bike shops have decent prices on bikes in about Oct/Nov when they are changing over to the new season models. You may be able to score a 2014 model for a bit cheaper if the 2015 models are on the way. Exact timing differs for the different brands of bike...

That's good advice, thanks.

P.S. Anybody got anything good or bad to say about Avanti Inc 2 ?
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 7 months

Postby jo on Wed 16/Jul/14 10:06am

Looks HOTTTT!

edit: Out of your price range? http://www.avantiplus.co.nz/products/av ... anti-inc-2
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby danose on Wed 16/Jul/14 10:58am

jo wrote:Looks HOTTTT!

edit: Out of your price range? http://www.avantiplus.co.nz/products/av ... anti-inc-2

if he can get it for closer to $1K it's a killer deal - given that most other belt-drive options are over $2k!
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts