Postby Stun on Sun 30/Dec/07 9:59am

390 inch pounds? Where did you get that measurement?
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 30/Dec/07 10:26am

Stun wrote: 390 inch pounds? Where did you get that measurement?
its 45 Nm.
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

RE: Good Bike Fixers!!christchurch

Postby Stun on Sun 30/Dec/07 10:51am

The point being...
Different crank / bb manufacturers recommend different torques to be used on their components.
For instance, Shimano's 390 inch pounds recommendation is only for Shimano BB + crank combos. Whereas Raceface reckon 335 inch pounds should be used on a Raceface BB to Raceface crank combo. BUT Raceface and Specialized (who used Sugino manufactured cranks) recommend you grease the axle first - whereas Shimano say it should be left dry. Then there's the issue of not using the correct crank bolt washers...
Blanket figures won't give the best results... never do. Experienced mechanics looking over a bike will though. :thumbsup:
The biggest problem with sumrandumguy's question, is that none of us have seen his bike - and consequently having us diagnose his problem blind / bicker over what store is best is gonna just confuse him.

My answer to his initial question of:
sumrandumguy wrote: hi everyone, my gt is not a goer at the moment and i really want to get it up and running again. the problem is that all the bike shops i have been to to try and fix the problem have'nt done much at all. Has anyone got the names of good bike shops that they have found to do a good job solving/fixing problems with bikes (in the christchurch area)??
cheers

...would be...
A store who are honest with you up front.
Don't talk to the sales guy out front, talk to the mechanic. He/she can explain the consequences of incorrect torque on cranks (some of which you know), the benefit of checking over the crank bolts on a regular basis. A good store will take the time to get you in the picture and help you understand what is happening when you tighten the bolts on your GT. A bad store will take it off your hands, 'fix it', charge you money and never tell you what / why they did the work.
If the previous stores haven't told you this, then grab your receipt and go back and ask for an explanation.
:)
Stun
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby sumrandumguy on Sun 30/Dec/07 5:48pm

alrite then thanks for that guys, i now no where to go from here lol
cheers
sumrandumguy
Member for: 10 years 2 months

RE: Re: Good Bike Fixers!!christchurch

Postby Fergie on Thu 3/Jan/08 7:57am

Stun wrote:Don't talk to the sales guy out front, talk to the mechanic. He/she can explain the consequences of incorrect torque on cranks (some of which you know), the benefit of checking over the crank bolts on a regular basis.

Unless like a lot of stores the sales guy is a trained and experienced mechanic. This is a good practice that saves those awkward calls from the mechanic about the extra $300 of parts required that a inexperienced sales person didn't spot when booking the bike in.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby ORION on Mon 7/Jan/08 1:40pm

Growla007 wrote: Hub is over priced, and never seem to be busy, I always seem to hear bad things about them though but, I've never had any mechanical work done there, but Dave is a decent mechanic and knows his shit sometimes..

I have always had my bikes looked after by Dave and have followed him from bike shops. He has always been bang on with repairs on my all my bikes.
Dave will sort any problem small or big and wont look at you sideways in the process.

I LOVE HATERS. :p
ORION
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby slow_rider on Fri 11/Jan/08 9:18am

I can recomend Andrew at Opawa Cycles. He has always done a great job on my bikes and I have never had to take anything back to get it re-fixed. I've been a client of his for a couple of years now after another bike shops repair job broke on the way to work.
slow_rider
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Miffyandfrends on Mon 21/Jul/08 8:48pm

I fix bikes (for stuff all) but I'm no certified mechanic. Also I only do work for friends & family. sorry no luck here.

Some bike shops will tend to charge money so they can dismantle the bike and fine the problem. If the problem isn't repairable then bye bye $50...
Miffyandfrends
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Wills27 on Sun 3/Aug/08 8:21pm

I reckon the best place is opawa cycles. if u are still looking!!!!!
Wills27

Postby CHCHFreerider on Sun 3/Aug/08 8:47pm

just a tip, NEVER go to cycleworkz in bishopdale, the worst bike shop ever, they dont know what theyre doing and always make the problem worse.
CHCHFreerider
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby Miffyandfrends on Sun 3/Aug/08 9:40pm

I do my own fixing... less expense. :P
Miffyandfrends

Canterbury | Cycling | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts