Going Back Onto The Road Again ...

Postby jamesj on Mon 5/Jan/09 11:13pm

Hello all,

Cycling is one of my life-long passion, but I've never taken it seriously until 1980, when I bought a Team Raleigh with fully campy super record. Regretably, after a rather bad crash, I broke down my beloved bike to bits and sold them off. In the intervening years, I never owned another roadie. All my bikes had been MTBs, starting with a Reynolds 531 framed Peugeot in the late 80s, and finally to a full suspension Avanti. But curiously, I never rode off road. I thought it was about time I got another roadie.

Then, I stumbled across a 1983 Team Raleigh (Reynolds 531c) on Trademe. Rather than buy something brand new, a full retro-rebuild held more than just nostalgic value for me. The frame has now been completely and professionally refinished. I have also collected most of the period-correct componentry (for a premium from eBay) comprising mostly Campagnolo Super/Nuovo Record, Regina ORO freewheel and chain, Cinelli bars and stem, and of course, a Brooks leather saddle.

Oli has built me a set of retro-look Mavic Sport Pros from my Campy hubs to take clinchers (waiting on some Veloflexes to mimic tubs). I'm waiting only on the delivery of a SR headset and SR brake levers (with original hoods), and it'll be all go for the full Oli treatment.

Here is a picture of a freshly-prepped frame ...

The only problem I can foresee is a general reluctance to ride the damn thing for fear of crashing or damaging it. For the money I would have spent, I could have bought a DA equipped Scott or a very nice Specialized Roubiax. I might still have to do the latter if road riding takes off for me in a big way. Time will no doubt tell.
jamesj
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Tue 6/Jan/09 10:53am

I'm sorry, but after all that effort you will have to ride it :p

Antiques are best used as their designers intended, rather than spending their life under a dust cover ;)

Look forward to seeing pics when completed :thumbsup:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Re: Going Back Onto The Road Again ...

Postby Oli on Wed 14/Jan/09 11:22pm

Oooh, I can't wait! :0

That looks stunning, James. Another great tribute to the late Ross Bee... :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby jamesj on Thu 15/Jan/09 10:09pm

Aye, Oli. This one is extra special because of it. I'll bring an extra pair of white cotton gloves so you can fondle it without leaving grubby marks on the pristine clearcoat. :lol:
jamesj

Postby Fergie on Thu 15/Jan/09 10:14pm

Yes, we have wood.

My dream is to own a TI Raleigh with Super Record as well as a Colnago Master.
Fergie
"Fat, opinionated and can't ride a bike to save himself. Sounds overqualified to be a coach."
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby tartgrandmother on Thu 15/Jan/09 10:19pm

wow its nicee :thumbsup:
tartgrandmother
"Blowing cobwebs"
Member for: 10 years 9 months

Postby jamesj on Thu 15/Jan/09 11:43pm

Fergie wrote:My dream is to own a TI Raleigh with Super Record as well as a Colnago Master.

I love steel Colnagos. If I can find a Mexico or Super in sound condition, I'd repeat this exercise all over again.
jamesj

Postby Lambretta on Fri 16/Jan/09 8:11am

Man that's sweet. I was riding a 10-speed Raleigh Arena in '83..
Lambretta
"I beg your pardon, I never promised you a beer garden."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

I Understand Your Reluctance To Ride....

Postby steel-is-real on Wed 21/Jan/09 8:32pm

James, I understand your reluctance to ride your Team Raleigh once complete. I guess if it’s your only road bike the decision is a little harder.
I have two fully restored Italian’s, first a Montagner Time Trial Bike (previously owned by Madonna Harris) and a Chesini X Uno Road Bike, both are also beautifully painted by Ross Bee. I have ridden the Chesini once (50km), but the Montagner has never been ridden, for as you say “for fear of crashing or damaging it”.

Montagner with Gipiemme/Cinelli/Mavic parts and componentry.

Chesini X Uno with Campagnolo C-Record.

The main reason I don’t ride them is the sheer cost involved it completing these restoration projects and the rarity of some the componentry and parts. When I started cycling in 1985, these were type of bicycles were unobtainable on a schoolboy wage. Now that I have them I want them to remain pristine as most componentry and parts are NOS (New Old Stock).

Campagnolo "Chesini" pantographed Delta Brakes - a true rarity.

So, these bikes for me will remain as a snapshot of bike design in the 80’s with their quirky bent steel tubes, pantographed parts and jewel-like componentry.
I have another two restorations on the go and they too will also probably remain un-ridden, for similar reasons.

Although I have modern carbon bikes they are only kept for 12 months, then upgraded to newer models. But my "steel" bike collection continues to grow. Love the old school paint work they give the bikes real character - something you don't get in a modern carbon copy.

In saying that, I would be reluctant though to rock up to the next club Time Trial with the Montagner, leaving my Kalibur with Sram Red at home!
Last edited by steel-is-real on Sun 28/Mar/10 2:56pm, edited 2 times in total.
steel-is-real
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby jamesj on Wed 21/Jan/09 9:39pm

There's something truly special about steel. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. I have a sneaking feeling this won't be my last steel bike. My componentry isn't NOS (except for chain, freewheel, brake levers, pedal clips which are), so I'm less concerned about wearing them out than I am about damaging the pristine frame. Regular Campag SR parts are easily available (well, maybe not the specialty panto'd ones), if not exactly cheap. I'll probably get myself a 'modern' roadie as soon as I have the readies, but probably not until I have two or three more steel bikes to treasure.
jamesj

Postby sumik on Wed 25/Mar/09 7:52pm

Ride the Raliegh. Dont leave it in the garage.
To Fergie. I have a TI Raleigh Dura ace and a Colnago Master X lite. They are awesome.
All these old bikes should be ridden...........
sumik
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby Oli on Wed 25/Mar/09 9:10pm

I rode my old Bianchi today... :love:
Bianchi.jpg
Oli

Postby jamesj on Wed 25/Mar/09 9:33pm

I'm still getting over my jelly legs...

jamesj

Postby Oli on Wed 25/Mar/09 9:39pm

HOT! :o
Oli

Postby jamesj on Wed 25/Mar/09 10:32pm

She's a beauty!

jamesj

Cycling | New User Introductions | Retro Bicycles | Road Cycling | Vorb - Latest Posts