Gloves, Grips And Condoms

Postby mfw on Thu 24/Oct/13 8:18am

OK I've given a lot of thought to most aspects of bicycle and attire, but little to the most important man machine interface, the gloves/grips. My $10 T7 gloves are passed they're best, see below, so for a summer MTB'ing glove, 5 questions:

1. Is it like condoms: thick for protection, thin for sensitivity?

2. Full fingered or fingerless?

3. Apart from stitching quality, is their anything to look for?, I glazed over in the LBS as they all looked the same.

4. I will also need grips soon, are grips and gloves ever designed as a system i.e. matched to each other?

5. The internet said that tight gloves will make you faster, is this a myth?

DSC_0003.jpg
Last edited by mfw on Thu 24/Oct/13 8:20am, edited 1 time in total.
mfw
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Re: Gloves, Grips And Condoms

Postby wpp1 on Thu 24/Oct/13 8:20am

I like my fingerless gloves to have pull loops so that I can get them off easily
wpp1
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 24/Oct/13 8:52am

Ribbed for extra pleasure, ridges on the fingers for the brake.

Full fingered.

Breathable material on the top.

ODI Ruffian grips, every thing sticks to them to the point that I hate riding without gloves on.
dwgknz
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Thu 24/Oct/13 9:23am

I like a light full fingered glove for summer mountain biking. I find full finger gloves much more comfortable than the short finger gloves and I dislike gobs of padding through the palm and much prefer one or two layers of leather like material between my hand and the grips. I like the gloves that are able to be slipped on rather than needing a velcro closure. Something along the lines High Fives from Ground Effect. http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product/ACC/HIG/

I do also find that if I am doing a lot of biking I wear through gloves in a few months, no matter what the brand. You are likely to find that no matter what the brand is that all of the gloves will be made in one or two factories... probably in Taiwan or somewhere. Quality can vary a bit... as can construction features... If you can find a deal on a known brand at a clearance store or at the local bike shop then this can be a good thing. If you find some you like at a great price buy 2 or 3 pairs!

As for grips, I am loving my Easton lock on grips. A nice tacky rubber that feels a bit squishy under the hand but does not seem to wear. They come in fat or skinny for your gripping pleasure. I have had many grips over the years and these are the nicest I have owned.

I have never heard of grips and gloves being made to go together...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby MattV on Thu 24/Oct/13 9:32am

Light, snug, full fingered for general riding. I've learnt that the thickness of the material covering the top of the hand is worth considering too after having my hands shredded by wayward gorse bushes.
MattV
"If the world was how it should be, maybe I could get some sleep"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 24/Oct/13 10:04am

I use troy lee xc for everything, thick gloves are yuk.
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby scatter on Thu 24/Oct/13 10:05am

I bought a bunch of gloves at the same time 3/4 years ago. They've all had similar riding (road, trail, 6hr "races", DH). The Dakines fell apart (wore the palm and fingers out) after a couple of seasons. The 661's have just now started to come apart at the seams. The Fly's are still going but have lost all their finger grip.

I'm a full-fingered girl ( :paranoid: ) no matter what I ride. My fingies and knuckles are already ugly enough from years of playing hockey on artificial turf
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Thu 24/Oct/13 10:07am

Wobbler wrote:I use troy lee xc for everything, thick gloves are yuk.

this^
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 24/Oct/13 10:46am

Best gloves I ever had were Lake dh gloves. Thin grips, reinforced knuckly bits, kevlar patches on the heels of the hands to take a pounding if you slammed them into the dirt.

But you can't get those gloves any longer. Now just go with whatever. Something to cover the hands to some extent.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 18 years 8 months

Postby bugle on Thu 24/Oct/13 10:56am

Full finger always

Go to your local motorbike shop, MTB gloves are a giant rip
bugle
"Bah, who hasn't killed the neighbour and rooted their corpse after one too many cab savs?"
Member for: 18 years 6 months

Postby scatter on Thu 24/Oct/13 11:01am

bugle wrote:Full finger always

Go to your local motorbike shop, MTB gloves are a giant rip

This.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 17 years 9 months

Postby wachtourak on Thu 24/Oct/13 11:18am

Troy Lee GP Air or XC, ODI Ruffian grips. Sorted. Don't skip $$$ wise on contact points. Spend good money on Grips/Gloves, Pedals/Shoes and Saddles/Shorts. Crappy contact points = crappy ride no matter how good everything else is.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby integral on Thu 24/Oct/13 11:35am

does anyone have a recommendation for single clamp lock-on grips? I need to replace my PRO Atherton grips and can't find new ones anywhere. I need single clamps cos I run the heels of my hands on the outside of the bar and its not too comfortable if there is a clamp there. Chur
integral
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Thu 24/Oct/13 11:44am

Easton. Double Clamp but the clamps are concealed underneath the grip. Quite a thick grip though, depends what you're after. Lots of OEM stuff is single clamp but I can't think of anything aftermarket off the top of my head.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 17 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 24/Oct/13 11:47am

whats the diameter of the eastons?
Wobbler
User avatarMedal
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Nelson | Nelson Region | New Zealand | Regions | Sifting | Upper South Island - Latest Posts