Giant Talon (or Stance) Advice

Postby fittzy on Sat 7/Feb/15 9:57am

Hi all,

Looking to purchase a bike.. it's been quite a few years since I was on one, so I'm certainly a novice at the moment. Budget can't really justify a full suspension, so looking at HT options.

I'm looking at the Giant Talon 2015 models. 3 seems a bit low on spec with its components, but 1 and 2 offer a nice step up with brakes, forks and gears etc. 1 and 2 are both near the top end of my budget.

I'm just wondering if there's enough difference in spec between 1 and 2 to justify the extra couple hundred dollars in price? I obviously don't have any accessories either, so will need to pick up the minimal items required (pump, spare tube, pedals etc). Second question I guess is,, is this too much money to spend on a HT bike?

I'm located in Christchurch, so will likely be spending time on the tracks in the port hills (basic ones!).

thanks for any advice.
Last edited by fittzy on Sun 8/Feb/15 7:56pm, edited 2 times in total.
fittzy
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Re: Giant Talon Advice

Postby dwgknz on Sat 7/Feb/15 10:57am

For $250 you getter a much better fork and more consistent brakes. As you progress your riding these are the things you'd likely want to upgrade first. The 1 would let you progress further without requiring upgrades and if that's what you've got in mind save you money in the future. A brake and fork upgrade will cost probably $500.

You won't notice much difference between the drive trains.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby fittzy on Sat 7/Feb/15 11:01am

Thanks for the input. I guess I was just worried about spending so much on a HT when most people seem to recommend full suspension for around Christchurch. Is it possible to enjoy the trails on a HT?

Due to upcoming holidays etc, it will likely be 12-15 months before I can afford to upgrade, so I'm looking for something that will last that period as I learn and improve.

Cheers.
fittzy

Postby dwgknz on Sat 7/Feb/15 11:01am

fittzy wrote:Second question I guess is,, is this too much money to spend on a HT bike?

No this is about right for a first bike. You may get a similar spec'd bike 2nd hand on tard me if you're willing to inherit all the issues a used bike may bring.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Iseneye on Sat 7/Feb/15 7:04pm

I guess I'm stating the obvious but the trance is full shock. Your post confused me before I reread the subject title.
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby fittzy on Sun 8/Feb/15 8:03am

Iseneye wrote:I guess I'm stating the obvious but the trance is full shock. Your post confused me before I reread the subject title.

D'oh. Yes you're right, I've changed that now.
fittzy

Postby umog on Sun 8/Feb/15 4:30pm

fittzy wrote:Is it possible to enjoy the trails on a HT?

Some people choose HT over FS, more fun for them.
So yeah it is (at least) possible.

Have fun.
umog
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Postby fittzy on Sun 8/Feb/15 7:09pm

What are peoples opinions on the Giant Stance 2? It's currently about $400 above the Talon 1, but offers full suspension setup. Obviously it's the entry level FS.

I'm not up to speed with the different levels of componentry. Would this bike actually be a downgrade from the Talon 1, or would the addition of the rear shock outweigh the loss of good components?

tldr; Talon 1 vs Stance 2..

http://www.pushbikes.co.nz/products/gia ... ance-275-2
http://www.pushbikes.co.nz/products/gia ... alon-275-1
fittzy

Re: Giant Talon (or Stance) Advice

Postby NickCW on Sun 8/Feb/15 8:42pm

If you're looking at a fully in that price bracket you might want to also check out the kona precept, sameish gear but doesn't rely on the rear chainstay flexing in order to cycle through suspension travel
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 8/Feb/15 9:59pm

Gotta say, mountain biking in Christchurch is a lot more accessable and fun with a full suspension bike.

I've got a hardtail as well as a full suspension and the hardtail is fun, yadda yadda. It taught me things about bike handling, yadda yadda. Many recommend them for people starting out because they "teach you bike handling skills" and "I learned on a hardtail and so should you". Whatever, that's a bunch of balls.

If i could have one bike, I would absolutely choose the full suspension bike. And I would recommend going FS to my former self, back when everyone was telling me that novices need hardtails. I would pay more to go FS. I would go second hand if it meant that I could afford one over a hardtail. HTs are fun when you know what you're doing, but you get beaten up by them on a lot of trails around here. Especially if you're not bike-fit! being able to sit down over little bumps is great, as is being able to move your legs after a long descent.

Kona make great bikes too.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby mfw on Mon 9/Feb/15 6:57am

AgrAde wrote:Gotta say, mountain biking in Christchurch is a lot more accessable and fun with a full suspension bike.

I've got a hardtail as well as a full suspension and the hardtail is fun, yadda yadda. It taught me things about bike handling, yadda yadda. Many recommend them for people starting out because they "teach you bike handling skills" and "I learned on a hardtail and so should you". Whatever, that's a bunch of balls.

If i could have one bike, I would absolutely choose the full suspension bike. And I would recommend going FS to my former self, back when everyone was telling me that novices need hardtails. I would pay more to go FS. I would go second hand if it meant that I could afford one over a hardtail. HTs are fun when you know what you're doing, but you get beaten up by them on a lot of trails around here. Especially if you're not bike-fit! being able to sit down over little bumps is great, as is being able to move your legs after a long descent.

What he said.

I would suggest novices learn their skills on a full sus then go to a hardtail if you want a challenge and improve your line choice etc.
The only possible disadvantage of full sus I see is (apart from cost) being loftier ride height for slow speed switchbacks etc.
btw I ride full sus, hardtail and fully rigid.
And while I enjoy the challenge of lesser suspended bikes I get the biggest grin factor on the full susser due to higher descending speeds.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 9/Feb/15 6:29pm

mfw wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Gotta say, mountain biking in Christchurch is a lot more accessable and fun with a full suspension bike.

What he said.

I would suggest novices learn their skills on a full sus then go to a hardtail if you want a challenge and improve your line choice etc.
The only possible disadvantage of full sus I see is (apart from cost) being loftier ride height for slow speed switchbacks etc.
btw I ride full sus, hardtail and fully rigid.
And while I enjoy the challenge of lesser suspended bikes I get the biggest grin factor on the full susser due to higher descending speeds.

Na, gotta disagree there, got a mate learning at the moment, he's on a FS, and watching him mong into things that would hurt his taint on a HT is not helping him progress.

So many small bike handling skills are leaned faster on a HT, because it punishes you for doing it wrong. Sure this can be less fun in the short term, but if you're going to upgrade in a year or two anyway, obey rule 5.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 9/Feb/15 6:59pm

velominati only applies to road
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby fittzy on Mon 9/Feb/15 8:12pm

I think I've kinda talked myself out of both of these bikes... annoying eh?

I'm not someone that is going to handle having something 'half good'. After a lot of research and youtube watching, I'm leaning more towards a full suspension adrenaline inducing trail bike. My budget can't handle that though because I'm going overseas soon, so I'm thinking I will just grab something cheap to learn on (main short-term goal is fitness as I cant run any more due to injury).

Then in 6-8 months I can pick up something I really want.

Looking at a Talon 3/4. I know the specs are low, but I think it will do the job in the mean time, if I crash and break it I won't cry so much, and it will make a decent commuter I can bash around once I upgrade. :)
fittzy

Postby CrustyMTB on Mon 9/Feb/15 8:38pm

fittzy wrote:Looking at a Talon 3/4. I know the specs are low, but I think it will do the job in the mean time, if I crash and break it I won't cry so much, and it will make a decent commuter I can bash around once I upgrade. :)
tbh even a low spec modern bike is better (and about the same weight) as the farm gate we learnt to ride mtb on in the early nineties. And i had a shit load of fun on that.
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts