Re: Giant Talon (or Stance) Advice

Postby mfw on Mon 9/Feb/15 8:43pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Na, gotta disagree there, got a mate learning at the moment, he's on a FS, and watching him mong into things that would hurt his taint on a HT is not helping him progress.

So many small bike handling skills are leaned faster on a HT, because it punishes you for doing it wrong. Sure this can be less fun in the short term, but if you're going to upgrade in a year or two anyway, obey rule 5.

So if hurting, punishing and HTFU is the objective then would you recommend a fully rigid instead of a hardtail?
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby fittzy on Mon 9/Feb/15 8:45pm

CrustyMTB wrote:
fittzy wrote:Looking at a Talon 3/4. I know the specs are low, but I think it will do the job in the mean time, if I crash and break it I won't cry so much, and it will make a decent commuter I can bash around once I upgrade. :)
tbh even a low spec modern bike is better (and about the same weight) as the farm gate we learnt to ride mtb on in the early nineties. And i had a shit load of fun on that.

Haha this is so true! Half my bikes barely even had working brakes, never mind suspension of any kind. I was given a used Silverback around '94 (I was 14/15) and I thought it was the bees knees. It was the first branded bike I'd had, everything else I'd built myself out of cheap parts. Then my dad rode it to the local shop a couple of months later and didn't lock it up. Never saw it again :(
fittzy
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby umog on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:31pm

fittzy wrote:I think I've kinda talked myself out of both of these bikes... annoying eh?

I'm not someone that is going to handle having something 'half good'. After a lot of research and youtube watching, I'm leaning more towards a full suspension adrenaline inducing trail bike. My budget can't handle that though because I'm going overseas soon, so I'm thinking I will just grab something cheap to learn on (main short-term goal is fitness as I cant run any more due to injury).

Then in 6-8 months I can pick up something I really want.

Looking at a Talon 3/4. I know the specs are low, but I think it will do the job in the mean time, if I crash and break it I won't cry so much, and it will make a decent commuter I can bash around once I upgrade. :)

If I was in your boat, not wanting something "half good", then I would go for a second hand hardtail with the best fork you can manage to find. If you are looking for a bike to turn into a commuter then go rigid. A suspension fork is wasted on the road. You can ride loads of stuff on a rigid, just a little slower. More fun, some say, that way. Tyres make a huge difference...a good tyre will give your bike a whole new feel, and make it just as capable for the conditions as the next bike.
umog
Member for: 7 years 5 months

mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:38pm

mfw wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:Na, gotta disagree there, got a mate learning at the moment, he's on a FS, and watching him mong into things that would hurt his taint on a HT is not helping him progress.

So many small bike handling skills are leaned faster on a HT, because it punishes you for doing it wrong. Sure this can be less fun in the short term, but if you're going to upgrade in a year or two anyway, obey rule 5.

So if hurting, punishing and HTFU is the objective then would you recommend a fully rigid instead of a hardtail?

No.

It's not the objective, just a good teacher. Have the saddle smack your taint a couple of times and you lean to lift a little in those situations...

Sure
AgrAde wrote:being able to sit down over little bumps is great.
but it doesn't help you learn how to float over them properly.

The OP said he would upgrade in a year / year-an-a-half...
fittzy wrote:Due to upcoming holidays etc, it will likely be 12-15 months before I can afford to upgrade, so I'm looking for something that will last that period as I learn and improve.
Put some good riding into this period and learn what you're really into, pick up skills faster on the HT, then buy the right genre FS and rip it up.

My 2c ;)
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 9/Feb/15 11:03pm

mfw wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/auction-845048275.htm

Tard Me wrote:- Rear derailleur Sram xo 9 speed partially in carbon
- Front derailleur and shifters Shimano xt

eh? :eh:
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 10/Feb/15 6:38am

dwgknz wrote:
mfw wrote:http://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/cycling/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/auction-845048275.htm

Tard Me wrote:- Rear derailleur Sram xo 9 speed partially in carbon
- Front derailleur and shifters Shimano xt

eh? :eh:

I think he just means the front shifter is XT.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 10/Feb/15 8:03am

Those reign Xs are heavy, flexy, skittish, energy-sapping noodles that are too short in the front end and hate going up hills. An outdated 170mm travel AM/FR bike doesn't make a good first mtb - all arguments against a full suspension regarding learning how to ride apply to this bike.

I was thinking along the lines of a merida 120/140. Those things are sick.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby RJD on Tue 10/Feb/15 1:30pm

I've been hacking round the port hills on entry level ht for years.

Am looking to get a fully ( tranceish) this year but you can still have loads of fun on a HT
RJD
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby fittzy on Tue 10/Feb/15 1:52pm

RJD wrote:I've been hacking round the port hills on entry level ht for years.

Am looking to get a fully ( tranceish) this year but you can still have loads of fun on a HT

Yeah, I'm thinking I could spend $1500 on a HT that will be a nicer ride, or rather spend 7-800 on a cheapie, and have the money to upgrade to FS all that much sooner.

As long as the cheapie Suntour forks don't snap :P
fittzy
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby umog on Tue 10/Feb/15 2:38pm

fittzy wrote:
RJD wrote:I've been hacking round the port hills on entry level ht for years.

Yeah, I'm thinking I could spend $1500 on a HT that will be a nicer ride, or rather spend 7-800 on a cheapie, and have the money to upgrade to FS all that much sooner.

As long as the cheapie Suntour forks don't snap :P

Go for best of both worlds, $7-800 will buy you a decent second hand hardtail, no Suntour required.
umog
Member for: 7 years 5 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts