Re: Getting Back Into Climbing After A Long Break

Postby Oli on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:52pm

Not YOUR fag bag! You're special. :love:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:03am

istepinyards wrote:Travel up the road to Horsham and get yourself into the Grampians. I am not one for the climby stuff but have a few school friends who were

definition of hell - being stuck for a week in an obscure rural victorian town for a wedding, within driving distance of the gramps but with no car and no time :(

given where you grew up I'd have thought the blue mountains would have been your 'local' (or the sydney sea cliffs :o )
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby DaveAldred on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:17am

A big study was done (can't remember if BMC in UK or somewhere in Europe) which showed age on it's own ha nothing to do with rope failure per se. It was damage over edges, significant abrasions and UV exposure that do the damage. I have a nic Sterling in the garage which has seen little real action as shortly after getting it I started doing most routes on doubles. It is at least 7yrs old and I would lead on it tomorrow. If only I had the chance...

Hearing mention of the Cloggy guide took me into the office where I dug out my Llanberris guide. Such wondrous joy was had on the Cromlech blah blah reminisce blah blah.
DaveAldred
"Bushlove - Strictly Sifting"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 17/Apr/09 9:36am

danose wrote:
istepinyards wrote:Travel up the road to Horsham and get yourself into the Grampians. I am not one for the climby stuff but have a few school friends who were

definition of hell - being stuck for a week in an obscure rural victorian town for a wedding, within driving distance of the gramps but with no car and no time :(

given where you grew up I'd have thought the blue mountains would have been your 'local' (or the sydney sea cliffs :o )

If i was getting back into climbing after a long break I'd definately pick Araps over the Gramps. It's way more suited to moderate routes and a progression into harder stuff.

Nowra is closer to Kiama than the Bluies, and has a better selection of moderate routes. And it rains less. Though I much prefer the long routes in the Bluies (and hippies are more fun than bogans).
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 10:25am

DaveAldred wrote:A big study was done (can't remember if BMC in UK or somewhere in Europe) which showed age on it's own ha nothing to do with rope failure per se. It was damage over edges, significant abrasions and UV exposure that do the damage.

UV is the real big killer (well that an exposure to acids and solvents - don't store your rope hanging in the garage!), we actually recovered an interesting collection of abseil tat off temple butress years ago, ranging from slings that looks in really good nick thru to those that you wouldn't DREAM of ab'ing off. We pull tested the lot to failure on the civil eng test rig and got some really surprising results (stuff that looked good failed low, stuff that looked terrifying tested surprisingly high). Also got some cool high-speed photographs of a sling actually failing (you can actually see the fibres start to fail and the sling basically unwind itself)
danose

Postby danose on Fri 17/Apr/09 10:26am

j2hyde wrote:Nowra is closer to Kiama than the Bluies, and has a better selection of moderate routes.

there's moderates at Nowra? I always envisioned it as a bigger, badder version of the superbowl (i.e. 26's for warmups)
danose

Postby j2hyde on Fri 17/Apr/09 11:08am

There's heaps of moderates at Nowra. Sheitloads of 3 star bolted 18/19's and the like. For true hardman cragging you'd be much better off in the Bluies, Diamond Falls is off da hook!
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Grant on Fri 12/Jun/09 8:50pm

Good grief! Another part of Vorb where I need a glossary :huh:

I'd been climbing (read - standing around in a harness) on and off a year or so ago. Started back up last week, and was appalled to discover that I had actually got worse during my break from it!

After a few minutes on the kids wall my forearms were screaming, my legs were shaking and no amount of chalk could counter the sweat running off my fingers. I left feeling much better about my ability as a cyclist :)
Grant
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby Whoops on Fri 19/Jun/09 5:37pm

just started doing some climbing (Auckland) - loads of fun. even splashed out on a harness and some shoes!

no style, no finesse, just blind luck is my preferred technique so far. Seems to be working for the most part.
Whoops
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Bouldering | Canterbury | Christchurch | Climbing | Indoor Climbing | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts