Re: Getting Back Into Climbing After A Long Break

Postby danose on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:14pm

DaveAldred wrote:I won't be selling the gear. I like the way it sits there in it's big box, exuding adventurous tall tales and potential...

you could always make a retro wind chime out of your hexes :thumbsup:
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Tama on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:15pm

DaveAldred wrote:I won't be selling the gear. I like the way it sits there in it's big box, exuding adventurous tall tales and potential...

If it makes you feel any better I took my climbing shoes out of the bag they've sat in for the past 8 years and they went on fine and did the job. It's nice how climbing gear doesn't have as much planned obsolescence built around it as say... cycling.
Tama
"Come on Ruthie let's dance"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby danose on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:17pm

Tama wrote:It's nice how climbing gear doesn't have as much planned obsolescence built around it as say... cycling.

cool - so you'll have NO ISSUES whatsoever leading on my 10+ year old ropes :thumbsup:
danose

Postby rockyroad on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:27pm

My hands are sweating with all this climbing talk - going to go and read the cloggy guide...

Yep we're in the taking kids too phase (skiing they are faster than us...) Next week if the weather co -operates hope to do some kids and non kids climbing on a trip - prob being getting enough time to do everything for everyone.(am with you on the age thing :) Kids are starting to get scarily older fast)

OOh lots more posts whilst I've been writing

Old gear has a great smell :thumbsup: for an insant flashback sprinkle chalk dust on your hands and sniff your climbing gear.

Old ropes = added addrenaline at crucial moments. :blink: I'm more into creaking up North Wales style scrambles and the odd thing at the wall, with their nice fresh ropes.
rockyroad
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby danose on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:40pm

rockyroad wrote:Old gear has a great smell :thumbsup: for an insant flashback sprinkle chalk dust on your hands and sniff your climbing gear.

preferably whilst also looking at old pics of your 'glory days' :thumbsup:

mmm....gritstone and bad tights :rolleyes:

4307804PelsAfgSAR_ph.jpg
danose

Postby Butch on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:44pm

Oh god JD, must you? Bleurgh! :angry:

(nice shoes)
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby danose on Thu 16/Apr/09 2:47pm

Butch wrote:(nice shoes)

:D
danose

Postby Jim on Thu 16/Apr/09 5:44pm

My feet are starting to hurt from just thinking about putting the shoes back on.
Jim
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby j2hyde on Thu 16/Apr/09 6:15pm

danose wrote:
j2hyde wrote:The best way to get back into it is to take 6 weeks off and go to Arapilies.

too many snakes! how about 6 weeks in the peak district instead (mmmmm.....gritstone)

Hell no. Too much rain, and too many brits.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:32pm

j2hyde wrote:
danose wrote:
j2hyde wrote:The best way to get back into it is to take 6 weeks off and go to Arapilies.

too many snakes! how about 6 weeks in the peak district instead (mmmmm.....gritstone)

Hell no. Too much rain, and too many brits.
I miss gritstone... I had a couple of years in Sheffield and got up some E2's and the odd E3 on sight. The last 2 weeks before coming back to NZ a mate and I spent 2 weeks climbing every HVS and E1 on Stanage, since coming back to NZ I find it hard to get enthusiastic, haven't worn rockshoes since 04.

But I would probably sell a kidney before I'd sell my rack...
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Oli on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:35pm

The minute you start climbing I think your faggy chalk bags should be impounded and CRUSHED. :angry:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby istepinyards on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:41pm

Fuck that its too close to Natimuk. John Muir lives there and he is one dude you need to be the furtherest away from. Travel up the road to Horsham and get yourself into the Grampians. I am not one for the climby stuff but have a few school friends who were
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:46pm

Oli wrote:The minute you start climbing I think your faggy chalk bags should be impounded and CRUSHED. :angry:

The minute you start crushing I think your faggy crusher should be impounded and CRUSHED!!! :p
CrustyMTB
"Tucker's Law "If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up, cause that cunt's a cunt.""

Postby Oli on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:48pm

What's my poor crusher ever done to you, man? :cry:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby CrustyMTB on Thu 16/Apr/09 9:49pm

Oli wrote:What's my poor crusher ever done to you, man? :cry:
It done hurted my chalky fag bag
CrustyMTB

Bouldering | Canterbury | Christchurch | Climbing | Indoor Climbing | Middle South Island | New Zealand | Regions - Latest Posts