Getting Back Into Biking - What Bike?!

Postby ChrisCook on Mon 14/Aug/17 2:18pm

Hey guys, right its being about 10 years since i've been biking properly now. Used to have a Specialized Big Hit, a trails bike & a IDENTITI hardtail DJ bike.

I've been having a look around on trademe for a bike but it seems the brands have changed around, not the usual so i don't really know what's what now! I'm 98kg 6ft 2 and looking for either a hardtail or a full sus. Something no more than $1000 to start of with again that i can use for the odd table top, dh track, bit of XC and riding around the street with the mrs untill i know if i want to get back into DH or XC big time (never thought id be looking at XC bikes must be the age)! Anyway something that can handle a bit of everything i suppose.

Also being thinking maybe get something like an old glory 1 or don't bother with the old bikes now :ib:

Cheers fellas :thumbsup:
Chris
ChrisCook
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Re: Getting Back Into Biking - What Bike?!

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 14/Aug/17 2:43pm

Welcome back.

Don't bother with the old bikes, new geometry is a winner.

For that budget, a long slack steel Hardtail is the best bet.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby ChrisCook on Mon 14/Aug/17 5:37pm

Ok cool, whats the decent brands and options? I've seen there's also the wheel size to look at now as well instead of just the standard 26" & the fat tyre thing too?
Cheers
ChrisCook
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 14/Aug/17 7:18pm

(I'm still riding it, but...) 26" is dead.
Shopping for a bike your choices are 27 & 29 with proper tyres, then add a + if you want some kind of fat.

Production privee
Chromag
On one
Ragley
Stanton
Yadda Yadda, have a Google for aggressive Hardtail and then read too many reviews...
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby DogsBollocks on Thu 17/Aug/17 10:54am

Velocipedestrian wrote:(I'm still riding it, but...) 26" is dead.
Shopping for a bike your choices are 27 & 29 with proper tyres, then add a + if you want some kind of fat.

Production privee
Chromag
On one
Ragley
Stanton
Yadda Yadda, have a Google for aggressive Hardtail and then read too many reviews...

Know a geezer running an Bigwig 27+ which is tre cool. Good all rounder.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts