Re: Gentlemen, Start Your Credit Cards

Postby Scotty on Fri 31/Jul/15 7:30pm

It's sadder when the overseas shops keep beating the local importers to my door.

I don't mind taking a hit on price, speed on the other hand. :blink:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Slim on Sat 1/Aug/15 8:36am

Sims wrote:I can't see how they can justify the cost of recovery - Even now they're not catching everything...

Easy, they will bill you a processing fee on top of the gst.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 1/Aug/15 10:11am

Slim wrote:
Sims wrote:I can't see how they can justify the cost of recovery - Even now they're not catching everything...

Yeah they will just throw more shit on top, from memory the last time I got pinged at customs the fees etc nearly doubled the gst content. Oh and it took them fucking days to send me a physical letter (lol wot) so I could pay it.
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby michael on Sat 1/Aug/15 10:16am

Slim wrote:

I find it all a bit weird that they talk about that as they now bill the cost of recovery on top of the minimum collection.

duty.PNG

I think people might be being a bit more aggressive about getting their packages under $400 now that you go straight from nothing to $109.39.
michael
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby jo on Sat 1/Aug/15 11:47am

Ouch, that really would incentivise lots of small packages eh.
Ive no problem with paying the tac I owe - just make it easy and quick for us to do. Those fees, daresay, are exacerbated by looking for noncompliance over a broad swathe of packages. Imagine if you could pre-approve the package somehow with the vendor and skip the rigmarole and time-lottery.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby danose on Sat 1/Aug/15 12:13pm

dwgknz wrote:Australia has a lot of potential revenue to gain that will fund a system to enable this. Nz business case will suffer from diminishing returns it will be harder to justify.

thanks to the EU VAT regs most eshopping systems ALREADY are perfeclty capable of applying different VAT/GST rates depending on where goods are shipping to, zero 'cost' of collection (unlike current collection on entry efforts which are both costly and ineffective).

Aussie will have realised they can use this to collect all that 'missed' revenue, and we will surely follow suit, the current system harks back to a bygone era and it's about time we followed the rest of the world and stopped trying to collect at entry (this also nicely fixes the issue with 'non physical' goods like downloadable music/movies/software)

upside is it will mean the abolition of the IETF (which is outrageously high per transaction)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Sat 1/Aug/15 3:26pm

I imagine the volumes of sub $400 parcels coming through customs are magnitudes higher than the volume of over $400 parcels.

Customs would be swamped!
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 3/Aug/15 8:22pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news ... d=11491354

The threshold for paying GST on foreign products bought online could be cut to $20 or even zero, Prime Minister John Key says.

:o my anus

if it ends up at 0, spam customs with dollar orders from deal extreme
Wobbler

Postby Dougal on Mon 3/Aug/15 8:36pm

Wobbler wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11491354

The threshold for paying GST on foreign products bought online could be cut to $20 or even zero, Prime Minister John Key says.

I suspect this is the current distraction from the TPP coverage.
Dougal

Postby wachtourak on Mon 3/Aug/15 8:47pm

I have no issue with paying GST, but what I do have issue with is paying an absurd amount for some cunzor to sit and look at an invoice and work out how much to charge me and then generate a fucking letter which I have to wait around for til I can pay it. Ideally I would like to see some online system where I can prepay it or something.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Zoom on Mon 3/Aug/15 8:57pm

wachtourak wrote:I have no issue with paying GST, but what I do have issue with is paying an absurd amount for some cunzor to sit and look at an invoice and work out how much to charge me and then generate a fucking letter which I have to wait around for til I can pay it. Ideally I would like to see some online system where I can prepay it or something.

Good idea. Maybe NZPost could set something up. Maybe similar to Youpost.....
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 3/Aug/15 9:53pm

Dougal wrote:
Wobbler wrote:http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11491354

I suspect this is the current distraction from the TPP coverage.

TPP is not going to be happening this year, US election etc is going to stop that
Wobbler

Postby Dougal on Mon 3/Aug/15 10:00pm

Wobbler wrote:TPP is not going to be happening this year, US election etc is going to stop that

Well look at Mr Positive over here!

The rest of us would like to be so confident.
Dougal

Postby Wobbler on Mon 3/Aug/15 10:02pm

Dougal wrote:
Wobbler wrote:TPP is not going to be happening this year, US election etc is going to stop that

Well look at Mr Positive over here!

The rest of us would like to be so confident.

5 dollars says it does not get signed this year

cunzors will get it through next year after all the elections have been done tho
Wobbler

Postby Scotty on Tue 4/Aug/15 9:00am

Is there ANYONE out there apart from die-hard tories who wanna see this thing go through?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts