Garmin Edge 200

Postby kookaburra on Fri 9/Sep/11 5:17pm

Thinking about upgrading my very basic speedo with the new Garmin Edge 200 which should retail at approx $200. It has a GPS, although no cadence or heart monitor - which I think would be too high tech for me anyway plus these features cost a lot more money.
Any thoughts ?
kookaburra
Member for: 4 years 1 month

Re: Garmin Edge 200

Postby nzmatto on Fri 9/Sep/11 8:44pm

I've not seen the 200 but am very please with my investment in the 500. Being able to map the rides afterwards and compare similar rides for pace over time, or checking pace on hill climbs, etc has been pretty cool. I like the HR & Cadence thing too, but if the extra is out of the budget then I'd say go for it.
I had a basic gps only mapping unit for a while, but that was pretty crap as it only recorded path, not time, speed, etc.
nzmatto
"Cycling changed my life."
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby Spyder on Fri 9/Sep/11 8:48pm

GPS without HR or cadence would be way better than non-GPS with. Make sure you sign up to Strava and you can automatically log your (and others) climbs.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 9/Sep/11 8:49pm

Do you want a bike computer to tell you where to go / where you’ve been or a training tool?
The Garmin 200 will do the former but not so much the later – where HRM and cadence will be of more benefit.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 6 years 1 month

Postby kookaburra on Sat 10/Sep/11 7:10pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Do you want a bike computer to tell you where to go / where you’ve been or a training tool?
The Garmin 200 will do the former but not so much the later – where HRM and cadence will be of more benefit.

Probably the former. More for a record where I have been.
There is a really good review at www.dcrainmaker.com Search posts for "garmin edge 200" to find the review.
kookaburra

Postby hoofy on Tue 13/Sep/11 1:06pm

I have a edge 305, it was good! NOT NOW? Unlikley to buy another Garman product after dealing with the support service, maybe because it is in Australia, most likely look at a Bryton as they seem to be much the same and I'm sure that a after sales problem would be dealt with here in NZ.
My 305 is only about three years old and believe it has faulted because of moisture, It's never been swimming! The first time about 12 mouths ago it came right after a week, this time she is KO.
hoofy

Postby AdamMTB on Tue 13/Sep/11 7:47pm

I have a Garmin Edge 500. Do you train/race or just use your bike recreationally? I use my 500 on both my mountain and road bikes but only use heart rate and cadence on my roadie. I love the cadence/heart rate on my roadie and very pleased with my purchased, especially because I'm a bit of a data nerd and love tracking all my rides online.
AdamMTB
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 13/Sep/11 8:59pm

unless the size of the edge200/500 or the iphone-ness of the 800 floats your boat, I'd hunt down and older edge 705.

anecdotal evidence from the garmin and mtbr forums plus my limited opportunities to test and compare units led me to select the 705 as my biking gps. Its not without its quirks but the accuracy seemed to be ahead of the newer units by a fair margin as well as ability to hold onto the satellites.
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby keltravers on Wed 14/Sep/11 11:32pm

I really need to learn that spamming VORB isn't a good idea
keltravers
"Dodgy boats and dodgy lights"
Member for: 5 years 4 months

Postby kookaburra on Sat 29/Oct/11 12:43pm

Bought the Garmin Edge 200 yesterday.
I have been trying to get my hands on one for the past 2 weeks,
although a few shops in Wellington advertise them for sale, when you inquire they either have no stock or are awaiting stock from Aussie.
Finally purchased one from Innovations in Motion - Hokitika, not exactly down the road but only a couple of days away by courier.
Still getting the feel of the unit but will post some thoughts,questions and observations next week.
kookaburra

Postby kookaburra on Mon 7/Nov/11 3:50pm

My thoughts on the Garmin Edge 200
Great for record keeping.

What I find annoying is the 3 times listed.
"Elapsed Time" - this is obvious.
But "Time" and "Moving Time" ( why 2 times).
I have not seen a decent explanation what they mean and the difference between "Time" and "Moving Time" on the Garmin website or any other forum.

Altitude gain and loss.
Disappointing that GPS altitude is not exact - I understand this is due to irregular shape of the earth (so not Garmins fault).
Not sure how accurate the figure becomes when you enable "elevation corrections" on the map ?
When enabled the altitude gain is usually about 20% less than that recorded by the unit itself.
(note the edge 200 does not have a barometer to calculate altitude gain/loss)

Overall pleased with my purchase.
A slope gradient readout would have been a nice extra, but certainly not missing the cadence and HR recordings.
kookaburra

Postby slidecontrol on Mon 7/Nov/11 11:04pm

moving time is your ride less whatever time you spent stopped, even with autopause turned on
if you view my last ride data, http://app.strava.com/rides/2227678 even though I stopped and started the timer at each break we [the bunch] had, my edge still noted the overall differences in ET and moving.

the altitude thing is merely a limitation of gps devices ,not just garmin. if you enable elevation correction GC compares your track to the topo info avaliable on the maps and constructs the elevation profile from that. barometric altimeters are easily fooled by weather
slidecontrol

Postby kookaburra on Wed 9/Nov/11 6:54am

slidecontrol wrote:moving time is your ride less whatever time you spent stopped, even with autopause turned on
if you view my last ride data, http://app.strava.com/rides/2227678 even though I stopped and started the timer at each break we [the bunch] had, my edge still noted the overall differences in ET and moving.

the altitude thing is merely a limitation of gps devices ,not just garmin. if you enable elevation correction GC compares your track to the topo info avaliable on the maps and constructs the elevation profile from that. barometric altimeters are easily fooled by weather

I realise "moving time" is moving but what is "time"
'Time' is always greater than "moving time" even if riding non stop.
I just find it annoying. Why not just have two times eg "elapsed time" and "moving time"
I cannot calculate where the figure for "time" fits into the equation.

I note your readout http://app.strava.com/rides/2227678 records elapsed time, moving time and resting time which makes sense and all your figures add up . i.e elapsed time = moving time + resting time.
kookaburra

Postby Klarkash-ton on Wed 9/Nov/11 8:30am

Directly from the FAQ:

Directly from the FAQ:
Garmin Connect provides three Time measurements on the Details page:
Time
Time is the recording time reported by the device. For Fitness devices, this should equal the Time value reported on the device. For other devices, this should equal the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity.
Avg Speed/Pace is based off the Time value.

Moving Time
Garmin Connect calculates Moving Time by removing the amount of time when the user is stopped. This is helpful for customers who upload activities with a Garmin device that either don't have AutoPause or have AutoPause turned off. For those who have AutoPause turned on or hit the Stop and Start button in the middle of an activity, the Moving Time should be very close or equal to Time.

Avg Moving Speed/Pace is based off the Moving Time value.
Elapsed Time
Garmin Connect calculates the Elapsed Time by the amount of time elapsed from the actual Start and Finish time of an activity

so moving time is calculated only by the connect.garmin.com website, useful for those that don't have/use autopause.

I've found my 705 pretty poor for altitude at times, so track my climbing stats in sporttracks with an elevation correction plugin. Sporttracks has a smoothing function on elevation data, and changing the number of data points that are smoothed out has a huge effect on the total meters calculated. These things are not infallibly precise so take your stats with a grain of salt!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 9/Nov/11 9:51am

the altitude function can be easily fooled by the weather, ( like all barometric altimeters ) setting a waypoint with a manual altitude override, will make the 705 auto adjust to the waypoint elevation. as mentioned, its a guide not gospel.
slidecontrol

Cycling - Latest Posts