Postby Jono on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:19am

sweet_P wrote: I've started making jam! Feijoa & apricot a few months back - and lemon marmalade just last week!

We might need to swap jam and preserving recipes. I've got my grandmothers' preserving one (well, I can find it in mums recipe book :sneaky: )

It's quite a cool feeling stacking up the jars in the cupboard, feeling all domestic :)

I've been domestic more on the eating side this week. Vic did a bunch of baking on saturday (golden syrup and sultana biscuits, cheese cookies, ginger crunch and cock-and-balls belgium biscuits (she was given a novelty cookie cutter)).

Not that I'm complaining, mind.
Jono
"High Grade Mental Defective"
Member for: 16 years 6 months

Postby sweet_P on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:22am

Jono wrote: We might need to swap jam and preserving recipes. I've got my grandmothers' preserving one (well, I can find it in mums recipe book :sneaky: )

An extension of the cooking thread!!

Jono wrote:and cock-and-balls belgium biscuits (she was given a novelty cookie cutter)).

:lol: Brilliant!
sweet_P
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Jono on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:28am

sweet_P wrote: An extension of the cooking thread!!

There's a cooking thread? I must say that buying a new oven (a miele pyrolytic jobbie) earlier this year has done wonders for the amount of baking I eat. There is nothing like a degree-perfect oven that tells you when the butter cake is cooked (it's got an oxygen sensor) and tells you when you need to run a cleaning cycle (1.5 hours at 460 degrees celcius - everything stuck to the over gets turned into a white powder that you just wipe out with a damp cloth) to get viccles excited.

Jono wrote:and cock-and-balls belgium biscuits (she was given a novelty cookie cutter)).

:lol: Brilliant![/quote]

I've got (somewhat disturbing) photos. But they'll need to wait for later - the camera is in the bedroom, I've got insomnia, and Viccles is asleep :sly:
Jono

Postby sweet_P on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:38am

A self cleaning oven!!?? Frick! I want one!!

Cooking thread started by Sifter is here :)
sweet_P

Postby sweet_P on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:42am

Getting back on topic...

Jim, Thorg & I have been busy gardening in Jim's back yard - well, the boys have been busy - I've been supervising for the most part :D

We got leeks, broccoli, cabbage, cauli, lettuce, silverbeet, spinach, garlic, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, peas, beans,strawberries and red onions (maybe more that I've forgotten) in various states from seedlings to nearly ready to eat :love:
sweet_P

Postby Butch on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:46am

Jam and Gardening at 2am. :D

Only on Zorb..
Butch
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space!"
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby sweet_P on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:47am

:lol: It's a quiet weather night for me :)
sweet_P

Postby Jono on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:48am

My jersey bennies have just started poking through the soil. I've had leeks and onions in for a couple of months (the leeks are starting to grow, but it has been rather slow seeing any progress amongst them). And the carrots are slowing making progress too.

I think the garden will do much better once I cut back some of the trees and hedge so that it gets better sun...
Jono

Postby sweet_P on Wed 10/Sep/08 1:51am

Sun.... Wasn't there some of that in the weekend? For a few hours.... :huh:

(Soon to return this weekend - I hope! Albeit likely briefly again...)
sweet_P

Postby Joel on Tue 28/Oct/08 4:47pm

where are the photo's of your vege gardens??

what a the vege's that get planted on labour weekend. in wellington
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby sweet_P on Tue 28/Oct/08 4:49pm

We did stuff in the garden! (Well - Thorg & Jim did - I slept through it all!*) Will go take a pic for you :D

* Was on nightshift ok!
sweet_P

Postby sweet_P on Tue 28/Oct/08 5:00pm

Ok.... Here's some pics - explanations in the captions :thumbsup:
001.JPG
Potato boxes in the front - made one sunny afternoon by Geoff. Main garden is the second effort dug in - RtoL is strawberries, lettuce plants, parsnips, carrots and some red onions interspersed - and peas up the back right hand side!
002.JPG
Our lettuce "glass houses"
003.JPG
The carrots & parsnips merrily growing away - although the carrots are interspersed with a weed that looks like carrots!! Hard to weed out :(
004.JPG
Labour weekend tomato replanting!
005.JPG
The sad specimen of cauli in our first garden attempt - just not enough drainage for all the rain that fell!!
sweet_P

Postby Natral on Tue 28/Oct/08 5:02pm

What was once weeds is now this.... (although, there was a fair whack of top soil under the weeds and over the clay)

Can't wait for the companion flowers to come through, so it's useful and pretty. :thumbsup:
DSC00303.JPG
Natral
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Natral on Tue 28/Oct/08 5:07pm

Oooo Paula your garden looks awesome! i'm just teaching myself.... should i do the bottle over the lettuce thing you are doing?
Natral
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby sweet_P on Tue 28/Oct/08 5:08pm

We did it to stop the snails etc getting on them when they're little - and to stop the birds pulling the leaves off when picking bugs off! Seems to work!
sweet_P

Gardening | Sifting - Latest Posts