Postby Trail on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:20am

That bike does look like it has a 1 and 1/8 but you would need to measure to be sure.

As the bike currently has a threaded headset, you will either need to fit a threaded fork (hard to find these days), or buy a new headset (ahead type) and stem.

If you want a disc brake on the front, you would need a disc specific hub, which in reality it is cheaper to buy a whole wheel than to rebuild a disc hub into an old one... and then buying the actual disc brake...

Well now you can see why people are saying "new bike'!

To be honest, i think you should keep that bike as it is for commuting, and save your pennies to get a nice new bike, with front suspension, disc brakes etc etc.
Last edited by Trail on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby PomiDave on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:21am

Monolith wrote: New bike time.

I don't say this because of the pic you posted, but because it's always new bike time. :thumbsup:

:D Sound advice! I'm off to look at bikes with a mate at lunch, so i'm going to make sure I leave my wallet at my desk!
PomiDave
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby psychavoc on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:23am

You'll regret leaving your wallet behind! ;)
psychavoc
"www.celiaridesbikes.com"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby PomiDave on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:25am

Trail wrote: That bike does look like it has a 1 and 1/8 but you would need to measure to be sure.

As the bike currently has a threaded headset, you will either need to fit a threaded fork (hard to find these days), or buy a new headset (ahead type) and stem.

If you want a disc brake on the front, you would need a disc specific hub, which in reality it is cheaper to buy a whole wheel than to rebuild a disc hub into an old one... and then buying the actual disc brake...

Well now you can see why people are saying "new bike'!

To be honest, i think you should keep that bike as it is for commuting, and save your pennies to get a nice new bike, with front suspension, disc brakes etc etc.

Hmm, yeah. It starts to get expensive when you consider all the other little bits that are needed. Looks like it's prob not worth it and I should just save up for a new bike.

Cheers for all the help guys, it's really appreciated. I've seen sence and it looks like I'm going to have to start saving for a new one. Best take the old hammer to the piggy bank :D

Thanks again guys, really helpful :thumbsup:
PomiDave

Postby radical_edward on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:33am

Treat yourself to some new tyres and brake pads (kool stop salmon for cantis are still the business) and ride your bike like it was meant to be ridden. You will have no less fun, and will in fact be a much better rider when new bike day rolls around. A clean and tidy 'retro' mountain bike is a sight to behold on the trails these days.

Honestly, any fork that is 'economic' to run on your bike won't do all that much for the performance anyway (although some vintage marzocchi would look nice....)

A number of us on Vorb have recently shelled out a lot of money to buy rigid forked 29ers and singlespeeds, so you won't be alone, just richer!
radical_edward
"Fast-casual."
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby PomiDave on Fri 5/Dec/08 11:46am

radical_edward wrote: Treat yourself to some new tyres and brake pads (kool stop salmon for cantis are still the business) and ride your bike like it was meant to be ridden. You will have no less fun, and will in fact be a much better rider when new bike day rolls around. A clean and tidy 'retro' mountain bike is a sight to behold on the trails these days.

Honestly, any fork that is 'economic' to run on your bike won't do all that much for the performance anyway (although some vintage marzocchi would look nice....)

A number of us on Vorb have recently shelled out a lot of money to buy rigid forked 29ers and singlespeeds, so you won't be alone, just richer!

Cheers Ed, will check out the kool stop salmons,

Yeah, I figured I'd still take this one around some trails and bouce it off a few things until I can afford a new bike as it might be a while. Hopefully heading to Woodhill next Wed with a load of mates, so I'll put it through its paces :)
PomiDave

Postby Trail on Fri 5/Dec/08 12:01pm

Yeh, I occasionally head up the hill on this bike for a laugh.

Makes me really appreciate the technology on the newer bikes I have :lol:
traverse.jpg
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 5/Dec/08 12:02pm

put slicks on it and dedicate it to the commute, then buy a new one for the trails
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby rory161192 on Fri 5/Dec/08 12:31pm

yup, new bike time i would say. The cost and effort of putting a new fork on isnt worth it, especially as the old bird is so old. Upgrade the whole lot, and notice an intense difference.
rory161192
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts