I Am From Nelson And Moving To Invercargill

Postby j-dax on Thu 5/Mar/09 11:27pm

Hey guy's

I know from using Vorb now and then that Vorber's usually have something useful to say so I thought I would put a post up.

I am a soon to be 18 and 80 percent sure my dad and I will be moving to Invercargill in the next month .
I have Just finished year 12 (6th form). I am undecided what I am doing with myself career wise so are on a bit of a gap year I guess! I do not know anyone in Invercargill!

I really enjoy my bikes currently only own a high end DJ/street single speed bike built up by me out of topnotch parts! But I will probably be getting a giant reign style of bike and am interested in getting a road bike more for fitness. I am not the best on the bike but I enjoy it so much and am getting better so that’s what it’s all about to me.

I am also a very very keen skier and will most likely spend a good part of the winter in Wanaka skiing.

What I was wanting to find out is.
Are people keen to go riding?
What is the riding is like?
Where are the skate parks, dirt jumps, and trails are and a bit about them?
A Good bike shop that will look after me?
And that sort of thing also any other info on Invercargill? Would be good I don’t know much about it at all!

As most people know nelson is very good for any sort of riding and what ever style riding you like you will most probably find in nelson so I would say I have high standards for what i am use to being close to me to ride! but I love my skiing so am a lot closer to that living in Invercargill so should be good .

If anyone dose bother reading I am keen to hear anything you have to say

Thanks
j-dax
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: I Am From Nelson And Moving To Invercargill

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 6/Mar/09 11:55am

good luck dude,

for your new LBS go to cycle surgery, biggest/best shop... full of roadies to sort you a road bike

the downside is the MTB situation: one set of ok tracks 11km from town, with no hills or jumps...

skate parks around tho, just remember - you're closer to the snow
;)
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby Biker4Life on Fri 6/Mar/09 12:04pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:good luck dude,

for your new LBS go to cycle surgery, biggest/best shop... full of roadies to sort you a road bike

the downside is the MTB situation: one set of ok tracks 11km from town, with no hills or jumps...

skate parks around tho, just remember - you're closer to the snow
;)

Outdoor world if your a mountain biker, has the best mechanic in town. CS is ok if you are a road cyclist or a mate, aside for that they have been known to rip you off its pretty 50/50. ODW is a good shop with good workers and good prices, go see pete the mechanic there. He builds most of the xc tracks at sandy point and there is a new one which suits downhillers and jumpers. Fun flowy track with little jumps

Only one skate park in town theres also one in riverton and one in bluff. there is a small dj near skate park but then again its not the greatest. There is also a half pipe a bit along the rail tracks too. Only "good" jumps are on private property but owner is away in dunedin for uni so I dont think they are available to ride. There are some ok riders but most of them have moved away, some good bmx riders aswell that dont 'mind' mountain bikers, if you know your park rules and follow them.

Bluff downhill track is average but the closest thing to Downhill short of queenstown, the old track there is fast open burms jumps etc and worth a look.
Biker4Life
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby SamKnight on Fri 6/Mar/09 3:28pm

pfft, spot the guys who work at the bike shops there, pm me if you want a number or two of some guys who dj/street/downhill there, they're always keen to ride,

as for shops its up to personal preference, i've always had good service at gladstone cycles, but as has been said, there's outdoor world, cycle surgery and wensleys all on the same street just down from each other.

As for trails Adrian has it pretty much covered, arrowtown has a cool wee skatepark if you'll be up there for skiing,

(Adrian - do you still have my knee pads?)
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby j-dax on Fri 6/Mar/09 6:01pm

Thanks for the info thats the sort of stuff i wanted to find out.
So what other stuff is there to do in the invercargill area?
j-dax
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Biker4Life on Fri 6/Mar/09 9:41pm

ac_sknight wrote:pfft, spot the guys who work at the bike shops there, pm me if you want a number or two of some guys who dj/street/downhill there, they're always keen to ride,

as for shops its up to personal preference, i've always had good service at gladstone cycles, but as has been said, there's outdoor world, cycle surgery and wensleys all on the same street just down from each other.

As for trails Adrian has it pretty much covered, arrowtown has a cool wee skatepark if you'll be up there for skiing,

Yeah, im in chch . pm me and ill get them up to you.You should come down one weekend for some southstar runs
Biker4Life
Member for: 12 years 11 months

Postby SamKnight on Sat 7/Mar/09 10:50am

Biker4Life wrote:
ac_sknight wrote:pfft, spot the guys who work at the bike shops there, pm me if you want a number or two of some guys who dj/street/downhill there, they're always keen to ride,

Yeah, im in chch . pm me and ill get them up to you.You should come down one weekend for some southstar runs

I will do sometime soon, i want to hit up the 40 footer again, be good to try out the faith on a decent dh track.

Anyway what other stuff are you into, there's a fair bit to do in invers
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Invercargill | Lower South Island | Mountain Biking | New Zealand | Regions | Road Cycling | Southland - Latest Posts