Re: Freeride Vs Downhill

Postby SamKnight on Fri 26/Feb/10 5:10pm

go for something in the AM class, ie a reign, reign X, faith, enduro, SX trail etc for your all round riding they're more than capable enough on any dh track
SamKnight
"Meh"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 26/Feb/10 5:23pm

And for added versatility, run 2 sets of tires.
Big DH set and a lighter trail set.

You'll notice it'll change they way handles in certain conditions.

My 2c
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 27/Feb/10 7:48pm

or even a dh tire on the front and a trail tire on the back for maximum turn in with reasonable rollage
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby lucaspolan on Sun 28/Feb/10 3:38am

I think a Heckler is only a four inch bike, but they have quite the burly reputation, and Dirt rag had a write up on a version that you could buy new for $1500.

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 28/Feb/10 8:46am

hecklers are 150mm and yes they are a burly bike... hardly an economical option tho are they.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby HarryPlatt on Sun 28/Feb/10 11:40am

I am in a similar situation. I know that for sure I don't won't a DH bike because I wouldn't use it enough as I do alot of trail riding aswell as wanting the downhill. I'd go for the Spesh SX trail and Giant Reign X sorta bike, a bike that hasn't got been marketed with some new type of riding. There in between FR/DH and AM bikes
HarryPlatt
"http://hpsauce555.blogspot.co.nz/"
Member for: 8 years 2 months

Postby onyabike on Sun 28/Feb/10 2:05pm

these are around 36 pound. and be well suited for freeriding. wont be flash on long climbs - but you'll get there. descending? hell yes!!!
sx trail 2010.jpg
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby mudguard on Sun 28/Feb/10 2:16pm

What is the retail on the one above? Looks like a very recent model too.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby onyabike on Sun 28/Feb/10 2:30pm

Thats the 2010 SX Trail II. $4800US they have them listed for, buy from spesh. No doubt deals will start popping up- now that it is 2010. Unfortunately I dont think they bring that model in to NZ, only the lower spec SX Trail I.
onyabike
"logging capital of nz"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby molotovd on Sun 28/Feb/10 4:17pm

hmm. hot bike, but i think u missed the point were he says hes got fuck all cash lol

$4800USD = around about NZD $6800ish at current exchange off the top of my head.
molotovd
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sun 28/Feb/10 4:36pm

gt sanctions aint to spendy and they're a good do it all bike
shmoodiver

Postby molotovd on Sun 28/Feb/10 4:49pm

shit i totally forgot i was going to say that. if my force is anything to go by, the sanctions gotta be better with the slacker and reinforced headtube, more freeride based fork and shock.

i'd look around for something like that.. try and find one off a person thats used it for more trail based riding. should be alot around. i know they sold heaps of them.. plenty bikes get bought with the best of intentions.. lol
molotovd
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby D1CKO on Sun 28/Feb/10 10:53pm

This is my bike, good for freeride and downhill, if your a kid then it should be all good
post2242518.html#p2242518
D1CKO
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby sherdforlife on Mon 1/Mar/10 10:36am

if your looking to develop your skills then buy a downhill bike and get on the pin. no point in fing around on a hardtail. your not going to lern how to ride super X by mucking around on an electric scooter. but keep your hardtail for dirt jumping if your into that.
sherdforlife
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby gabreu on Mon 1/Mar/10 2:53pm

D1CKO wrote:This is my bike, good for freeride and downhill, if your a kid then it should be all good
post2242518.html#p2242518

I'm not a kid anymore :D ... But I'm not too tall either! :huh:
Is it a kid's size?
gabreu
Member for: 7 years 10 months

Cycling | Downhill Racing | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking | Trail Riding - Latest Posts