Fox Talas - Ctd Not Working

Postby Nate1 on Wed 19/Nov/14 10:23am

Hello,

CTD on my fox Talas 32's - (Fox 32 Talas CTD Evolution w/ 15QR thru-axle, OverDrive 2, 120-150mm Travel)
Has stopped working, - does anyone know where I can find information on fixing this?

Suspension, and Talas is working, but was red fluid when I took them apart (After ctd had stopped working)

Thanks
Nate1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Re: Fox Talas - Ctd Not Working

Postby el_booto on Wed 19/Nov/14 2:28pm

The newer ctd cartridges need to be sent to fox distribution for repair to the best of my knowledge

How old is it?
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Nate1 on Wed 19/Nov/14 2:40pm

2013 - off a Giant Reign, It did say something about sending to Fox if red fluid was seen when doing seals.
Nate1

Postby el_booto on Wed 19/Nov/14 2:52pm

If you got it new I'd be looking at seeing if you still have a warranty claim (usually 12 months from date of purchase)
el_booto

Postby ryda on Wed 19/Nov/14 3:15pm

el_booto wrote:If you got it new I'd be looking at seeing if you still have a warranty claim (usually 12 months from date of purchase)

hopefully they cant tell he has worked on them himself thou....
ryda
"WTF"

Postby Nate1 on Wed 19/Nov/14 3:20pm

I did get it new, but was at the start of 2013 so I doubt there's any warranty left. More needing to know if anyone knows how to fix this issue or how much Fox would charge to fix it.
Nate1

Postby ryda on Wed 19/Nov/14 3:25pm

We had to send ours to Blueshark.. as for cost dunno as they was still under warrenty :crazy:
ryda
"WTF"

Postby el_booto on Wed 19/Nov/14 4:04pm

ryda wrote:We had to send ours to Blueshark.. as for cost dunno as they was still under warrenty :crazy:

You don't want to know
The replacement units are in the area of $ 300+ depending on how nice your lbs are
el_booto

Postby Simpleone on Wed 19/Nov/14 9:31pm

Fox dampers are easy to service, do them every day, if its an Evolution it may be covered by this. http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=recall
Simpleone
"“Size does matter!”"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby Nate1 on Thu 20/Nov/14 12:37pm

Fox dampers are easy to service, do them every day, if its an Evolution it may be covered by this. http://www.ridefox.com/content.php?c=recall

Thanks - they aren't part of the recall, will see if I can find any info on how to fix or what exactly is wrong, unless anyone has any tips or resources I can use.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspensio ... 22617.html
Nate1

Postby Dougal on Fri 21/Nov/14 8:47am

The ctd EVO cartridges have a problem with oil volume. Basically oil spills out into the leg bath and can't be drawn back in.

It's relatively easy to strip and refill toy have the tools. Butyou'll need to do it next time the fork gets worked hard. Then the next time.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Nate1 on Fri 21/Nov/14 9:01am

Dougal wrote:The ctd EVO cartridges have a problem with oil volume. Basically oil spills out into the leg bath and can't be drawn back in.
It's relatively easy to strip and refill toy have the tools. Butyou'll need to do it next time the fork gets worked hard. Then the next time.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Basically a design flaw then.. Would thicker oil help reduce the spill?
Nate1

Postby ryda on Fri 21/Nov/14 10:17am

el_booto wrote:
ryda wrote:We had to send ours to Blueshark.. as for cost dunno as they was still under warrenty :crazy:

You don't want to know
The replacement units are in the area of $ 300+ depending on how nice your lbs are

yer well when it gets to that I think I give them an upgrade
which also save on having to service them every 5mins
ryda
"WTF"

Postby Dougal on Fri 21/Nov/14 10:43am

Nate1 wrote:
Dougal wrote:The ctd EVO cartridges have a problem with oil volume. Basically oil spills out into the leg bath and can't be drawn back in.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Basically a design flaw then.. Would thicker oil help reduce the spill?

Not on the one I've seen. I have an idea to try and create a bladder space so the oil can spill back in. But I haven't been able to try it yet. The fork I see regularly is a 34 CTD EVO. So there's a bit more space to try stuff around the cartridge.

The best real fix is upgrading to the FIT cartridge. Not cheap. But cheaper than another fork.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Nate1 on Fri 21/Nov/14 10:54am

Thanks,
Nate1

Bicycle Repair | Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks - Latest Posts