Re: Fox Talas - Ctd Not Working

Postby Nate1 on Wed 4/Feb/15 7:59pm

Nate1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby mudguard on Thu 5/Feb/15 8:04pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Yikes, more than Pike money.

The best fork ain't gonna be the cheapest! The Mattoc Expert is a slightly cheaper and heavier version ($1250) which still has full functionality. If you want that we can get you one.

Quite happy with my Pike thanks.

Think I'd swap my Pike for a Mattoc. After riding a couple of others I'm not convinced mine is a bung one.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Thu 5/Feb/15 8:39pm

mudguard wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Dougal wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Yikes, more than Pike money.

The best fork ain't gonna be the cheapest! The Mattoc Expert is a slightly cheaper and heavier version ($1250) which still has full functionality. If you want that we can get you one.

Quite happy with my Pike thanks.

Think I'd swap my Pike for a Mattoc. After riding a couple of others I'm not convinced mine is a bung one.

I'll see if I can fix it though. I am worried that reducing the compression damping (or oil fill) to get you full travel will end up with the air-spring feeling weird.
The other three Pikes I've ridden were all similar feel to yours.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:34am

So it turns out that is there is almost no lube oil in one side of a fork, it doesn't work very well, who knew? :paranoid:

It hasn't solved the CTD being rubbish issue, but at least it goes up and down smoother than it did. :)

Also faster rebound helped, still doesn't handle braking bumps, or chatter well at all though. :hmmm:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Mon 9/Feb/15 9:42am

Percy Pig wrote:So it turns out that is there is almost no lube oil in one side of a fork, it doesn't work very well, who knew? :paranoid:

It hasn't solved the CTD being rubbish issue, but at least it goes up and down smoother than it did. :)

Also faster rebound helped, still doesn't handle braking bumps, or chatter well at all though. :hmmm:

Did the stanchions survive?
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby ryda on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:14am

Fails
Often
Xpensive
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 9/Feb/15 10:22am

Dougal wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:So it turns out that is there is almost no lube oil in one side of a fork, it doesn't work very well, who knew? :paranoid:

Did the stanchions survive?

Seems to be ok, there was some oil in thurr, just not enough.
Also being brand new helps, although it is a fail on Fox's part not having enough from the factory! :blink:

Also noticed the rear shock is weeping oil past the seal now, colour me unimpressed. :hmmm:

Oh for a return to suspension you can ignore for years and its still mint as bro! :thumbsup:
Like my Shiver.* :cool:

*Yeah yeah, so it weight 9lbs, so what? :p It's 13 years old and still works perfectly, because it was build properly, and its full of oil.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Bicycle Repair | Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks - Latest Posts