Re: Fox Talas - Ctd Not Working

Postby Nate1 on Tue 3/Feb/15 6:59pm

Dougal wrote:
Nate1 wrote:
Dougal wrote:The ctd EVO cartridges have a problem with oil volume. Basically oil spills out into the leg bath and can't be drawn back in.
It's relatively easy to strip and refill toy have the tools. Butyou'll need to do it next time the fork gets worked hard. Then the next time.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Basically a design flaw then.. Would thicker oil help reduce the spill?

Not on the one I've seen. I have an idea to try and create a bladder space so the oil can spill back in. But I haven't been able to try it yet. The fork I see regularly is a 34 CTD EVO. So there's a bit more space to try stuff around the cartridge.

The best real fix is upgrading to the FIT cartridge. Not cheap. But cheaper than another fork.

Hello Dougal, I finally found some time to do this, and still doesn't appear to work - does the amount of oil put in here have any effect on the process, added 83mm, based on my best guess from other fork oil charts I could fine - as couldn't find anything on this fork..
Nate1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 3/Feb/15 9:02pm

Nate1 wrote:Hello Dougal, I finally found some time to do this, and still doesn't appear to work - does the amount of oil put in here have any effect on the process, added 83mm, based on my best guess from other fork oil charts I could fine - as couldn't find anything on this fork..

83cc or 83mm?
Yes oil level is crucial on these forks, too much and they spit it out. Too little and they don't work. There is also a cap and spring that can come off internally and prevent the lever from doing much.

If you want a permanent fix for your CTD problems: http://www.shockcraft.co.nz/mattoc-pro-26-black.html
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Percy Pig on Tue 3/Feb/15 10:36pm

So without replacing them with something less... ahh... "Jamis", is there anything that can be done to make a CTD fork and shock work like suspension should? :eh:

I know installing the Pike and Monarch+, or whatever Marzocchi numbers are cool this week, would solve the issue however thats not an option this week... or month... or possibly year.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Nate1 on Tue 3/Feb/15 10:42pm

Fit cartridge would be the cheap option as per above
Nate1
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 4/Feb/15 9:31am

Percy Pig wrote:So without replacing them with something less... ahh... "Jamis", is there anything that can be done to make a CTD fork and shock work like suspension should? :eh:

I know installing the Pike and Monarch+, or whatever Marzocchi numbers are cool this week, would solve the issue however thats not an option this week... or month... or possibly year.

Doesn't look like it. Upgrading to the FIT cartridge is similar cost to selling the forks and buying something better. The CTD rear shocks have no upgrade short of replacement. A higher pressure gas charge slows the air intrusion, but doesn't fix the performance problems.

Interestingly the only FOX rear shocks with decent internal valve layout is the Float R or the RP23. I'm not sure what they're doing with the Float X.

I've been riding Manitou McLeod rear shocks for a few months now. It's the best valved air shock I've ridden.
Dougal

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 4/Feb/15 9:50am

Dougal wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:So without replacing them with something less... ahh... "Jamis", is there anything that can be done to make a CTD fork and shock work like suspension should? :eh:

Doesn't look like it. Upgrading to the FIT cartridge is similar cost to selling the forks and buying something better. The CTD rear shocks have no upgrade short of replacement. A higher pressure gas charge slows the air intrusion, but doesn't fix the performance problems.

Interestingly the only FOX rear shocks with decent internal valve layout is the Float R or the RP23. I'm not sure what they're doing with the Float X.

I've been riding Manitou McLeod rear shocks for a few months now. It's the best valved air shock I've ridden.

So, bin the feckers and get proper dampers is the only option, bugger. :(

Fox are becoming teh Microsoft of the suspension world, trying to be to helpful and not letting anyone change anything just in case they fuck it up.
Which penalises those who do want to change things to get them to perform how they want, even if that isn't how Fox says you should have it!

The main problem I have with the CTD is it seem to be incredibly hard to get it balanced so teh bike will fly flat, and then doesnt feel like a jackhammer on anything with small to mid sized bumps in it, like pretty much every mountain bike track ever. I could live with the rest of its limitations (until funds allow replacement!) if it felt like suspension most of the time.
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Dougal on Wed 4/Feb/15 10:12am

Percy Pig wrote:The main problem I have with the CTD is it seem to be incredibly hard to get it balanced so teh bike will fly flat, and then doesnt feel like a jackhammer on anything with small to mid sized bumps in it, like pretty much every mountain bike track ever. I could live with the rest of its limitations (until funds allow replacement!) if it felt like suspension most of the time.

That's because they don't have high speed rebound ports. The Float R and Float RP23 are about the only ones that do. But even then the shims covering them are usually ridiculously stiff.

Let me know when you want to try some suspension that works like it should. :sneaky:
Manitou have an ex Showa suspension engineer setting up their factory tunes. Even their lower end Radium shocks do exactly what they should.
Dougal

Postby ryda on Wed 4/Feb/15 10:41am

Dougal wrote:I've been riding Manitou McLeod rear shocks for a few months now. It's the best valved air shock I've ridden.
How much does vorb charge you for their advertising these days ?
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 4/Feb/15 10:49am

ryda wrote:How much does vorb charge you for their advertising these days ?

The same I charge them for technical support. :sly:
Dougal

Postby Percy Pig on Wed 4/Feb/15 10:52am

Dougal wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:The main problem I have with the CTD is it seem to be incredibly hard to get it balanced so teh bike will fly flat, and then doesnt feel like a jackhammer on anything with small to mid sized bumps in it, like pretty much every mountain bike track ever. I could live with the rest of its limitations (until funds allow replacement!) if it felt like suspension most of the time.

That's because they don't have high speed rebound ports. The Float R and Float RP23 are about the only ones that do. But even then the shims covering them are usually ridiculously stiff.

Let me know when you want to try some suspension that works like it should. :sneaky:
Manitou have an ex Showa suspension engineer setting up their factory tunes. Even their lower end Radium shocks do exactly what they should.

The DHX4 that was on the Tanktion worked as it should, as did the RC2 damper in the 36's, CTD is a massive backwards step IMHO. :hmmm:

Out of interest, whats a 160mm 27.5 Mattoc and 215x63 McLoud retail for? :)
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Postby Dougal on Wed 4/Feb/15 11:31am

Percy Pig wrote:The DHX4 that was on the Tanktion worked as it should, as did the RC2 damper in the 36's, CTD is a massive backwards step IMHO. :hmmm:

Out of interest, whats a 160mm 27.5 Mattoc and 215x63 McLoud retail for? :)

The DHX series coil shocks were good, but I can't get my DHX5 on the big turner to feel as good as the (custom valved) Vanilla RC on my normal Turner. The Van RC has conventional low speed compression dial and the DHX5 has the propedal dial.
I've been meaning to build up a a shim-stack swinger 6 way 190/50 for a long time now so I can have external HSC and LSC. Got all the bits, just haven't got around to it.

Mattoc Pro is $1395 RRP, McLeod is $475.
Dougal

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 4/Feb/15 4:51pm

Yikes, more than Pike money.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 4/Feb/15 5:14pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:Yikes, more than Pike money.

The best fork ain't gonna be the cheapest! The Mattoc Expert is a slightly cheaper and heavier version ($1250) which still has full functionality. If you want that we can get you one.
Dougal

Postby Wobbler on Wed 4/Feb/15 5:18pm

the best fork aint gonna be a manitou!
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 4/Feb/15 5:40pm

Dougal wrote:
Astoria Paranoia wrote:Yikes, more than Pike money.

The best fork ain't gonna be the cheapest! The Mattoc Expert is a slightly cheaper and heavier version ($1250) which still has full functionality. If you want that we can get you one.

Quite happy with my Pike thanks.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Bicycle Repair | Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks - Latest Posts