Fox Or Rockshox?

Postby tricky on Tue 13th Nov 12:53pm

Donno whether it was justified or not, but back in the day (8-10 years ago) my riding mates and I considered Fox forks to be "hanger queens" that optimized weight saving and performance at the expense of durability and maintenance requirements. Mind you in reality we were pretty much comparing Fox air forks against RS/Marzocchi coil/oil forks, so not really apples-with-apples.

Forward to 2018 and I'm thinking about a new bike, something towards the beefier end of the enduro market to replace my old freeride bike (fancying a Zerode if my budget will stretch). Fox 36 or RS Lyrik? Is there any remaining truth in my old prejudices? Was there ever? Is there something else I should be considering? (Gonna be blowing enough coin as it is, so probably won't be considering boutique offerings from DVO/CC/MRP/etc.) I ride fairly hard, but am not racing. Would rather haul a little extra weight in order to have a lower maintenance fit-and-forget setup.

chur
tricky
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Fox Or Rockshox?

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 13th Nov 2:49pm

fox 36 no question
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 11 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 13th Nov 3:31pm

When I see worn out forks or shocks these days, or a damper that's detonated itself, it's a rockshox product.

Currently have five functionally excellent fox products: three 36s (2012, 2015, 2018), a DHX air and a float X2 in my garage.

Also have a creaky pike with dodgy damper and significant stanchion wear, a monarch plus with dodgy damper and significant shaft wear and a vivid air that has cracks in the inner air can sleeve.

Other recent rockshox experiences include a boxxer with a damper that fell apart.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 13th Nov 6:42pm

Honestly each have their issues.
The Lyrik is a beefier chassis, but damper is overdamped and needs a tune to make most people happy.
The Fox 36 chassis is a more likely to creak (crowns are milled out internally a lot and press-fits are extremely light), is underdamped but has better parts supply.
Rockshox simply don't do spare parts for a lot of fork and shock components. Fox in theory do but supply can be out globally of what you actually want.
Both have (and require IMO) significant aftermarket tuning options.

The 10 year old Fox all wore out stanchions but dampers did okay. The 10 year old Rockshox broke their motion control dampers but stanchions did okay.

Are you choosing between factory builds on two different bikes or building one up yourself?
Dougal
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby tricky on Tue 13th Nov 8:43pm

Dougal wrote:Are you choosing between factory builds on two different bikes or building one up yourself?

Dunno yet, but if I go with the Zerode can pretty much spec my preference for fork, though they build with a 36 by default.
tricky
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Wed 14th Nov 9:33am

tricky wrote:
Dougal wrote:Are you choosing between factory builds on two different bikes or building one up yourself?

Dunno yet, but if I go with the Zerode can pretty much spec my preference for fork, though they build with a 36 by default.

If you want to try something different, I have Mattoc demo forks available that will fit. The new 37mm fork is still some time away but may be more than you want/need.
Dougal

Postby phunk on Thu 15th Nov 8:18pm

I really like my DVO diamond. They are on par if not cheaper than Fox or RS.
phunk
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 16th Nov 8:00am

tricky wrote:something towards the beefier end of the enduro market to replace my old freeride bike

Dougal deploys marketing technique.

Dougal wrote:The new 37mm fork may be more than you need.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Dougal on Tue 20th Nov 9:04pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Dougal deploys marketing technique.

Dougal wrote:The new 37mm fork may be more than you need.

Remember the 180mm Travis single crown from 10 years ago? This is bigger.
Dougal

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 20th Nov 9:55pm

I do. Bigger = betterer.
Is this going to be the single crown competition for the new MRP shortish dual crown?
Will Rockshox bring back the Totem?
Will Fox bust out a new Zocchi 66?
Can we go back to the pressure suit and knee+shin pads?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby AgrAde on Tue 20th Nov 11:01pm

I'm somewhat excited about the burly Manitou. The Mattoc was great but a bit too light duty for me.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Conners on Wed 21st Nov 11:07am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Can we go back to the pressure suit and knee+shin pads?

:lol:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 30th Nov 10:14pm

AgrAde wrote:I'm somewhat excited about the burly Manitou. The Mattoc was great but a bit too light duty for me.

Let me know if you'd like another go. We sorted the crown noise on all the existing forks and the 2019 have more metal in the crown, steerer and stanchions to keep them quiet. Plus a new mud-guard.
Got a number of 2018 spec demo forks here. Boost and non boost. Stock and tuned.
Dougal

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | Suspension Forks - Latest Posts