Re: Fox 36, Coil Vs Air...

Postby Trail on Fri 2/Jul/10 4:38pm

or you could just chuck some secondhand pikes on there...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 4:57pm

rc3!

honestly guys, they're the tits
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby danose on Fri 2/Jul/10 5:09pm

wuffy wrote:1600 a pair :crazy:

you looked up the retail price of 36s lately!
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 2/Jul/10 5:45pm

whats the best for riding closed tracks?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 6:17pm

Trail wrote:From intense internet research I have done the recent 36's rate this way:

Float
Van
Talas

A number of reviewers thought the floats were better than the vanillas, but all agreed the Talas system introduced stiction.

But the Talas travel adjust is the bees knees if you like pedaling your bike up hill :love: :love: :love: :love:
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 2/Jul/10 9:08pm

Fox float 36's are plenty plush. You're not giving up anything to the vans, except weight.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 9:42pm

j2hyde wrote:Fox float 36's are plenty plush. You're not giving up anything to the vans, except weight.

Well, I talked to my local shop and a few who work there swapped the coil system into their floats, apparently with the floats they notice that they never used the full travel unless they had excessive sag, and the coil was much more sensitive over small bumps. And the 09 versions, the vanilla's are only 200gm heavier than the floats.
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby j2hyde on Fri 2/Jul/10 9:49pm

Whatever floats your boat, I reckon you'd be happy either way. IMO theres fark all difference.

I want a set of the new 180mm TALAS :)
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby surfbum on Fri 2/Jul/10 9:56pm

I have no probs getting full travel out of any of my 36 floats and i've got 3 sets of them
surfbum
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 10:02pm

it's relative to rider weight, if you end up running high pressure you will loose small bump
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby danose on Sat 3/Jul/10 7:06am

wuffy wrote:Well, I talked to my local shop and a few who work there swapped the coil system into their floats, apparently with the floats they notice that they never used the full travel unless they had excessive sag, and the coil was much more sensitive over small bumps. And the 09 versions, the vanilla's are only 200gm heavier than the floats.

coil is linear - air ramps up. Hence yes it is hard to get 'full travel' on air at sane sag levels - reverse is true with the coil, can be hard to find the 'just right' spring that is overly active and lets you bottom out too easy. Also (on the 36) the damper itself ramps up (including a hard ramp up in the last 1") - I think a lot of people who get obsessed about not getting full travel on 36s forget that (can alter the degree and position of the ramp up - but it's internal to the damper so a workshop job)

small bump sensitivity - coil will always win, but it's not such a big deal when you're pointed down, you're hitting stuff hard enough to overcome any stiction in the air system. More an issue climbing (where force levels are lower) - going up something like kennedys is nicer on a coil (when it's dry and full of a zillion 'dimples' from the cow's hooves).
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby Colin on Sat 3/Jul/10 9:26am

Fark all stiction / lack of small bump sensitivity on 2011 Floats with the Kashima stanchions

At least nothing that I'm noticing with mine
Colin
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts