Re: Fox 36, Coil Vs Air...

Postby radiusq on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:14pm

Ride both if you can. There are some that say -

VANs feel better, and you don't notice the weight.

Other's say -

Floats are lighter, and you don't notice the difference in plushness.

Personally I love my VAN36 RC2s, they eat up everything I throw at them and have been completely trouble free whilst others I know have had constant issues with their air forks (granted not Fox though). IMO, coil = simplicity, reliability and plushness. air = a bit lighter. Some things are worth the weight penalty IMO.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:15pm

wuffy wrote:
speeding_ant wrote:Oh, and how much are you selling the 32's for :D

Will have to try a rig with 140's first to see if the geo is comfortable first before I decide what to do. They're 07 Float RLCs.

Yeah i've had a trailstar with Argyles on it before at 100mm.

Shmoo, have you had any troubles with the swapouts? Or anyone else that has a trailstar for that matter? I've only ever had sliding ones with a generic hanger that clips between the dropout and axle nut. They new ones are changeable. I'd be running 2x9 so would need vert dropouts.

I've had no issues with mine. I've got the '09 "BSX" edition, which is basically just the new frame designed for longer travel over the old ones :P They do sometimes get loose so best to check on the bolts every now and again.
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:19pm

only issue i had was having to take the axle nut all the way off to get past the deraileur. and if you can get some 15mm lowers bro, you know how stiff a 20mm is and the 15 is almost as good
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:22pm

Sounds like a trailstar with lowered 36 Vans, or some 15thrus is the way to go then. Cheers. :thumbsup:
wuffy
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:32pm

wuffy wrote:Sounds like a trailstar with lowered 36 Vans, or some 15thrus is the way to go then. Cheers. :thumbsup:

What are your 32's? Length, steer, price etc.
speeding_ant

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:38pm

speeding_ant wrote:
wuffy wrote:Sounds like a trailstar with lowered 36 Vans, or some 15thrus is the way to go then. Cheers. :thumbsup:

What are your 32's? Length, steer, price etc.

Fox Float RLC 2007, 185mm steerer, 1-1/8th set at 95mm travel. Not selling until I find a good replacement though, might sell lowers only if I can find some 15thru axle ones on trademe or through a shop. No idea on price actually, got them for 400 a year ago. So, 290 ono I guess. Will have to wait and see what I can find. If I do end up selling i'll PM you first :thumbsup:
wuffy

Postby stiffeeslicker on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:46pm

I have a steel hardtail with 32 Van QR15's on. They are good (better than the QR version) for stiffness and 140 is good amount of travel (the bike is 130-150mm optimised). I ride hard and do notice a bit of twang/twist on the brakes etc. so if you want real stiffness 36s Van or Lyrik Coils would be a significant step up...
stiffeeslicker
"Intentional, apparently."
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby speeding_ant on Fri 2/Jul/10 1:47pm

95mm a bit too low for my needs I think :(

Cheers anyway!
speeding_ant

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 2:19pm

stiffeeslicker wrote:I have a steel hardtail with 32 Van QR15's on. They are good (better than the QR version) for stiffness and 140 is good amount of travel (the bike is 130-150mm optimised). I ride hard and do notice a bit of twang/twist on the brakes etc. so if you want real stiffness 36s Van or Lyrik Coils would be a significant step up...

true!?! i found qr fox's to be uber flexy, would have thought that qr15 would make a big difference, i'm finding the 44's nice and stiff, very close to the lyriks even
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby stiffeeslicker on Fri 2/Jul/10 2:42pm

shmoodiver wrote:
stiffeeslicker wrote:I have a steel hardtail with 32 Van QR15's on. They are good (better than the QR version) for stiffness and 140 is good amount of travel (the bike is 130-150mm optimised). I ride hard and do notice a bit of twang/twist on the brakes etc. so if you want real stiffness 36s Van or Lyrik Coils would be a significant step up...

true!?! i found qr fox's to be uber flexy, would have thought that qr15 would make a big difference, i'm finding the 44's nice and stiff, very close to the lyriks even

I think it's not so much the axle stiffness, which is fine but simply the limits of the 32mm chassis and stanchions. Not bad by any means but you do notice a bit of wander now and again. I have a feeling the flex makes the fork a bit less supple as the bushings don't work as well with the stanchions not perfectly aligned...
stiffeeslicker

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 2/Jul/10 2:46pm

44's are a 32 too
shmoodiver

Postby stiffeeslicker on Fri 2/Jul/10 2:53pm

Hmmm....must be me riding like a retard then :D
stiffeeslicker

Postby Trail on Fri 2/Jul/10 3:29pm

From intense internet research I have done the recent 36's rate this way:

Float
Van
Talas

A number of reviewers thought the floats were better than the vanillas, but all agreed the Talas system introduced stiction.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby danose on Fri 2/Jul/10 3:52pm

what about the new 32-831s - set them to 120mm and your geo won't be totally whacked out, similar damping to the 36s but a whole lot lighter
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby wuffy on Fri 2/Jul/10 4:03pm

danose wrote:

what about the new 32-831s - set them to 120mm and your geo won't be totally whacked out, similar damping to the 36s but a whole lot lighter

1600 a pair :crazy:

Think I might look for some 2nd hand 36 Vanillas or Floats.
wuffy

Economy | Sifting - Latest Posts