Re: Folding Bikes On The Way In

Postby Simonk on Fri 9/Dec/11 9:28pm

R+P+K wrote:I've been on the 5:19 to Porirua a few times which has been a "bikes forbidden" Matangi service. Each time, the service has maybe been 50% full - last night I was the ONLY person sitting in the designated low-floor area. I could have fit four bikes in the wheelchair area and still not impinged on anyone.

When we set the policy in April, we used the latest loading information available. It's quite possible that those loadings have changed since then, especially if the Matangi in question is running an extra unit compared with the old Ganz Mavag. After all the Matangi units have been comissioned and things have settled down, we'll get some new loading figures and have a review.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby R+P+K on Mon 12/Dec/11 1:22pm

Simonk wrote:
R+P+K wrote:I've been on the 5:19 to Porirua a few times which has been a "bikes forbidden" Matangi service. Each time, the service has maybe been 50% full - last night I was the ONLY person sitting in the designated low-floor area. I could have fit four bikes in the wheelchair area and still not impinged on anyone.

When we set the policy in April, we used the latest loading information available. It's quite possible that those loadings have changed since then, especially if the Matangi in question is running an extra unit compared with the old Ganz Mavag. After all the Matangi units have been comissioned and things have settled down, we'll get some new loading figures and have a review.

Righto :)

It was a six-car Matangi so that would likely account for the extra space.

Putting aside the cycle issue, the Matangi units are lovely to ride in.
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby gypsyonabike on Tue 7/Aug/12 8:09pm

hi
any one know about getting folding bikes on trains in auckland? I have a bike friday and i am doing an end to end ride from one end of nz to the other as im in training for the 8 lap taupo ride so will be passing though auckland in a few weeks time (im in northland now heading north before i turn around to head south)
gypsyonabike
Member for: 6 years 4 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Thu 9/Aug/12 12:34pm

http://cyclingauckland.co.nz/public-transport/
- bicycles are allowed on Auckland trains (sometimes – see below). There is a fee of $1 for each trip – this fee seems to be applied even if you have a folding bicycle. Further more, being allowed to take your bicycle onto the train is dependant on space and at the discretion of the on-board staff. Maxx recommends avoiding travel with your bicycle at peak times, as space is limited.
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby yoeddynz on Wed 1/May/13 7:01pm

Hiya,

In the ten years bike shop work in Oxford, UK I sold loads of folding bikes. Was sort of weird to come home and hardly see any.

Most popular were the bromptons followed by the Ridgeback range (made by Dahon) and then the trek folders. I wish I had brought one back with me. Would have been very handy in India last year as taking full sized bikes was a pain in the arse on some trains/buses. Planning on getting one for next overseas trip.

They certainly bring out the weirder customers into the shop. Quite often beards seem a prerequisite for ownership but I think that is changing.

we even had a Periodical on the counter offering satisfyingly good geeky reading for on the bog.

http://www.atob.org.uk/

Alex
yoeddynz
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Postby foremannz on Wed 1/May/13 7:13pm

Last time I took my bike on the train, there was no extra as I had a HOP card, and I was told to use the first car thats made for wheelchairs, as theres loads of space.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby Henry Dorset Case on Wed 1/May/13 8:43pm

kiwi_zg wrote:
thorg wrote:How small must a bike collapse to be considered 'folding'?

[clever edit]

dont worry found the WCC definition. Dont think my folding releigh 20 will count :(

Just cut it down the middle and put in a hinge.

thats exactly what a folding Raleigh 20 is, and does.

I have a Brompton. Also a couple of brompton bags for sale on tardme RIGHT THIS MINUTE. (search Brompton bag)

I toyed with selling it because I hardly use it now: I prefer to commute in my 3 ton SUV while chainsmoking and eating a burger these days. But I decided not because its such a great bit of kit, and so useful when i need it. and it hardly takes up any space at all, what with the folding malarkey.

Lawrence from Ground Effect did the Brompton World Champs a couple years back. Full on road race but you must use a Brompton and you must wear a shirt, tie and suit jacket.

hilarity ensues:

http://www.brompton.co.uk/news/17003/br ... o-goodwood
Henry Dorset Case
"[b]DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?[/b]"
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby CrashTestDummy on Wed 1/May/13 9:55pm

This is what I've got hiding in the garage...... :paranoid:

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/1940s/bike ... d-pattern/

Pretty random what you find in Te Anau :cool:
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Simonk on Mon 25/May/15 1:23pm

And here we have a wee video demonstrating folding bikes in Wellington:

BTW, Bromptons are now available at Bicycle Junction in Newtown.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Tue 26/May/15 9:07am

CrashTestDummy wrote:This is what I've got hiding in the garage...... :paranoid:

Not sure that i'd want to land a parachute with a bike tied to me, folding or otherwise.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby CrashTestDummy on Tue 26/May/15 10:18am

Derryn Hinch wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:This is what I've got hiding in the garage...... :paranoid:

Not sure that i'd want to land a parachute with a bike tied to me, folding or otherwise.

Is an absolute ton of bricks! Not sure how many gone injured by landing on them etc.

Only 1 big gear, would have to walk up any hills, very small size frame only good for midgets, can't turn sharp corners without having to move your knee out of the way.

Totally impractical, but I love it! :love:
CrashTestDummy
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Tue 26/May/15 11:44am

Derryn Hinch wrote:

once your shoot has opened you drop the bike and it hangs below you.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts