Re: Folding Bikes On The Way In

Postby Simonk on Tue 25/Oct/11 9:36pm

On Sunday the 6th of November we're having a folding bike fun ride from Upper Hutt to a cafe in Petone (via a bakery in Silverstream and all very cruisy). The route follows quiet roads and sealed sections of the Hutt River Trail. The more the merrier.

We'll meet at Wellington railway station at five to ten in the morning, and then at Upper Hutt station at 11am. The first 10 people to RSVP (simon dot kennett at gw dot govt dot nz) will get free travel on the 10am train from Wellington to Upper Hutt.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Simonk on Sat 3/Dec/11 10:40pm

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199456590136905&set=a.100571660025399.855.100002176950758&type=1&theater

Had a good ride at Taupo last weekend. The wee wheels handled the wind fine, although the coarse chip round the back of the lake was a bit of grind. Finished in 5:37 - happy, tired and hungry.
Simonk

Postby properzel on Sat 3/Dec/11 11:08pm

Simonk wrote:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=199456590136905&set=a.100571660025399.855.100002176950758&type=1&theater

Had a good ride at Taupo last weekend. The wee wheels handled the wind fine, although the coarse chip round the back of the lake was a bit of grind. Finished in 5:37 - happy, tired and hungry.

Wow - Shit, first I thought you did the Huka Challenge on this thing, Simon. But then realised you just went on the road...
properzel
Member for: 7 years 7 months

swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Thu 8/Dec/11 2:43pm

Interesting situation on Tuesday morning, guy gets onto my peak time train with a folder, and then puts it in the "bicycle storage area" (this was on one of the new 'Matangi' trains). The folder took up the space of two seats, forcing one guy to vacate his seat (fold away seats to allow bike storage). Bit of a ruckus broke out, with other passengers chiming in with the following range of comments:

1. "that's not on, this is a peak hour train, bikes aren't allowed"
2. "folding bike are allowed on all trains"
3. "that area is not for folding bikes"
4. "bloody cyclists taking up seats with their bikes"

The guy was very confused, and didn't know what he should do. The conductor told him he shouldn't have put the folder in the bike storage area, but confirmed that he was allowed his folder on the train. The guy who had given up his seat was adamant he was ok with it, so he remained standing, as did the rider, while the folder took up two seats in the storage area.

Seeing the dompost article above, it seems clear that folding bikes are ok on all trains - but in fact shouldn't be displacing other passengers from their seats (which is fair enough IMO).

The next day a guy with a Brompton jumped on, stood in the doorway area with his bike next to him. No drama whatsoever. I was impressed with how quickly he reassembled it in Wellington and cycled off on his merry way too :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby R+P+K on Thu 8/Dec/11 4:44pm

This is the major concern I have with this bikes on trains thing. Having only recently started cycle commuting, I'm bringing my bike into work on a Mavag and then riding home to Tawa. So far, I've not had a single problem with getting a bike on because they go in the dog box away from the general population. However, eventually I'm going to have to face getting my bike (a 21" 29er) onto a Matangi and I can guarantee people aren't going to be vacating their seats for me despite the policy explicitly stating:

Priorities on Matangi trains
»» Passengers seated in the designated cycle area of the
Matangi trains must vacate their seats to accommodate
the cycle/s when cycles are carried.

From: http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/Transport/ ... tFINAL.pdf

I also wonder if the situation Conners witnessed could have been better if the conductors had stepped in a laid down the law.
R+P+K
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Thu 8/Dec/11 4:57pm

R+P+K wrote:Priorities on Matangi trains
»» Passengers seated in the designated cycle area of the
Matangi trains must vacate their seats to accommodate
the cycle/s when cycles are carried.

From: http://www.gw.govt.nz/assets/Transport/ ... tFINAL.pdf

Careful R+P+K - keep reading:

Exclusions from Matangi trains
»» Cycles will be excluded from the following scheduled
Monday to Friday services where these services are
being provided by a Matangi train:

Kapiti Line
To Wellington From Wellington
6.28 am from Waikanae 4.15 pm from Wellington
7.03 am from Plimmerton 4.21 pm from Wellington
7.14 am from Plimmerton 4.35 pm from Wellington
7.29 am from Porirua 4.43 pm from Wellington
7.02 am from Waikanae 4.55 pm from Wellington
7.43 am from Porirua 5.03 pm from Wellington
7.41 am from Plimmerton 5.17 pm from Wellington
7.17 am from Waikanae 5.19 pm from Wellington
8.03 am from Porirua 5.35 pm from Wellington
7.34 am from Waikanae 5.45 pm from Wellington
8.24 am from Porirua 6.00 pm from Wellington
8.05 am from Waikanae
Hutt Line
6.40 am from Upper Hutt 4.17 from Wellington
7.00 am from Taita 4.30 from Wellington
7.00 am from Upper Hutt 4.37 from Wellington
7.20 am from Taita 4.39 from Wellington
7.04 am from Upper Hutt 4.50 from Wellington
7.18 am from Upper Hutt 4.57 from Wellington
7.40 am from Taita 4.59 from Wellington
7.40 am from Upper Hutt 5.07 from Wellington
8.00 am from Taita 5.13 from Wellington
8.00 am from Upper Hutt 5.18 from Wellington
8.20 am from Taita 5.22 from Wellington
8.30 am from Upper Hutt 5.34 from Wellington
5.37 from Wellington
5.43 from Wellington
5.50 from Wellington
Johnsonville Line
7.20 am from Johnsonville 5.11 pm from Wellington
7.46 am from Johnsonville 5.24 pm from Wellington
7.59 am from Johnsonville
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby tylersdad on Thu 8/Dec/11 8:29pm

I think they need signage put up in the bike storage area. this would make it very clear to everyone.
And having read the above exclusions - are there any trains you can take a bike on peak hour ?
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Simonk on Thu 8/Dec/11 8:33pm

Note that in the policy there are limits to the size of a folding bike that will be accepted during the peak. If a folder is taking up the space of two seats it may be a bit oversize (like one of the old Raleigh twentys, perhaps?). Still, if a rider is standing and therefore only taking up two seats, it's not that big a deal, surely.

Paul's bike is a Dahon and it was sitting between his legs when he was kicked off. If you take the seat out, a Dahon will fit between the seats which face in opposite directions (in the middle of a carriage). Same with a Brompton.

There is no set area for folding bikes - they are like a large bag; put it in a sensible place and enjoy your trip.

Along with the list of exclusions there is also a list of services that KiwiRail will attempt to run Ganz Mavag trains on (the ones with a dog box storage area). The list of exclusions is about half of the services - it's just the ones where we could see the typical loadings for that service is at about 80%+.
Simonk

Postby R+P+K on Thu 8/Dec/11 10:28pm

Looks like I'll be cycle commuting both ways then.
R+P+K

Postby Conners on Thu 8/Dec/11 10:57pm

Simonk wrote:Note that in the policy there are limits to the size of a folding bike that will be accepted during the peak. If a folder is taking up the space of two seats it may be a bit oversize (like one of the old Raleigh twentys, perhaps?). Still, if a rider is standing and therefore only taking up two seats, it's not that big a deal, surely.

Paul's bike is a Dahon and it was sitting between his legs when he was kicked off. If you take the seat out, a Dahon will fit between the seats which face in opposite directions (in the middle of a carriage). Same with a Brompton.

There is no set area for folding bikes - they are like a large bag; put it in a sensible place and enjoy your trip.

Along with the list of exclusions there is also a list of services that KiwiRail will attempt to run Ganz Mavag trains on (the ones with a dog box storage area). The list of exclusions is about half of the services - it's just the ones where we could see the typical loadings for that service is at about 80%+.

Yeah - the folder in question did seem bigger than the Bromption I saw the following day.
I'm not sure I agree with a folding bike "only taking up two seats and not being that big a deal" though? It really wasn't/isn't necessary with a folder to displace people at all, as you say they can just be put just about anywhere. In reality they cyclist and the passenger he displaced could've quite happily sat side by side with the folder in front of them. It was just one of those weird situations I guess, people were just genuinely confused.

Sounds like Paul got a particularly rough deal - which is a real shame.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Klarkash-ton on Fri 9/Dec/11 8:41am

R+P+K wrote:Looks like I'll be cycle commuting both ways then.

I've changed my training plan to include less commuting, but Tranzmetro haven't managed to get the Matangis running on the services I usually use anyway (Waikanae 6.28).

BTW

The kapiti line staff, both on the that particular service and in the ticketing office are friendly and helpful, and all alerted me to the future restrictions some time ago, made sure I got the information pamphlet and APOLOGISED!
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby R+P+K on Fri 9/Dec/11 10:50am

Klarkash-ton wrote:
R+P+K wrote:Looks like I'll be cycle commuting both ways then.

I've changed my training plan to include less commuting, but Tranzmetro haven't managed to get the Matangis running on the services I usually use anyway (Waikanae 6.28).

BTW

The kapiti line staff, both on the that particular service and in the ticketing office are friendly and helpful, and all alerted me to the future restrictions some time ago, made sure I got the information pamphlet and APOLOGISED!

I guess since they aren't running on every service yet, I can just skip a Matangi and wait for a Mavag.
R+P+K

Postby R+P+K on Fri 9/Dec/11 11:20am

I've been on the 5:19 to Porirua a few times which has been a "bikes forbidden" Matangi service. Each time, the service has maybe been 50% full - last night I was the ONLY person sitting in the designated low-floor area. I could have fit four bikes in the wheelchair area and still not impinged on anyone.
R+P+K

Postby tylersdad on Fri 9/Dec/11 6:21pm

whats the story if your bike is in a bag ?
does that have to follow the policy. its just a bag isn't it, the contents are irrelevant.
and if it's 'just a bag' then does the same apply for airlines - ie. its just oversize and within weight tolerances so no extra charge.
tylersdad
"Meh !!!!"
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts