Re: Folding Bikes On The Way In

Postby Klarkash-ton on Thu 9/Jun/11 11:44pm

SK, you are well behind on your Taupo ambitions; Damian Day did the twice around on his folding bike last year, with trailer attached. Then he cycled home to Palmerston North (though he did take it easier and spread it opver a few days. http://lifeonabikeinnz.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

This year he's going for four laps.
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby dented on Fri 10/Jun/11 7:00am

Simonk wrote:
dented wrote:Was a good story, all except that council representative, what was his name? something kennet I think?

Why didn't they edit him out?! Sounded like he had ear plugs stuck up his nose.

Apart from that, it was nice and positive.

:lol:

I thought the whole piece was great. Burke came across well also
dented
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Simonk on Fri 10/Jun/11 8:33am

Klarkash-ton wrote:SK, you are well behind on your Taupo ambitions; Damian Day did the twice around on his folding bike last year, with trailer attached. Then he cycled home to Palmerston North (though he did take it easier and spread it opver a few days. http://lifeonabikeinnz.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

I just heard about this guy for the first time on Wednesday. Enduro with a trailor?! Legend!

Any idea what he's riding or how I get hold of him?

My new ambition might have to be setting a nice soft record for the single lap on a folding bike. Sounds like Damien might have an idea of what that would be.
Simonk
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby znomit on Fri 10/Jun/11 5:30pm

Simonk wrote:
Klarkash-ton wrote:SK, you are well behind on your Taupo ambitions; Damian Day did the twice around on his folding bike last year, with trailer attached. Then he cycled home to Palmerston North (though he did take it easier and spread it opver a few days. http://lifeonabikeinnz.blogspot.com/201 ... chive.html

I just heard about this guy for the first time on Wednesday. Enduro with a trailor?! Legend!

Any idea what he's riding or how I get hold of him?

My new ambition might have to be setting a nice soft record for the single lap on a folding bike. Sounds like Damien might have an idea of what that would be.

http://lifeonabikeinnz.blogspot.com/201 ... of-nz.html

I've seen him around a bit. Good keen man. :thumbsup:
You could upstage him by doing the 8 lapper (yes they are running it again this year).

Would a bike with couplers count as a folder?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Simonk on Fri 10/Jun/11 8:35pm

znomit wrote:
Would a bike with couplers count as a folder?

Only if you can break it down in less than 30 seconds. :sly:
Simonk

Postby patricio on Fri 24/Jun/11 1:41pm

Took a 7-speed Dahon from Wello to Auckland and back this week (thanks for loan Simon).
10 minutes from Newtown to the airport (hit 43km.h down Crawford Rd), and another 9 minutes to fold, pack and check in. I used a big plastic bag from the warehouse next door to work. I packed the patch kit with the bike as I believe you can't take vulcanising fluid in the cabin.

They made me sign a waiver for the bike, and I loaded it at the oversize counter. My ticket allowed 1 piece, so no extra charges.
Bike emerged at the oversize door at Auckland airport with no problems.
Auckland 002.jpg

I set off for the CBD following the map at http://caa.org.nz/maps/. It's busy for 500 metres, then turn left at Ihumatao Rd for a lovely loop past cow and horse paddocks northwest of the airport.
I hear they plan to improve the airport exit for cycling, and to signpost the route.
The bike handled fine, although a pannier rack would be nice. It takes a few minutes to get used to the smaller wheels, quicker handling and gripshift gears. Brakes were fine. The ride was harsher than I'm used to - perhaps due to small wheels and upright position.
Auckland 008.jpg

Over old Mangere Bridge then right on the new cycling bridge, pop under the motorway and on to Onehanga Mall. Shoot up there and through Cornwall Park, Manukau Rd and Newmarket to Parnell and the waterfront.
Had some time to kill to pedalled as far as St Heliers on a perfect midwinter's day.
Auckland 023.jpg

So far so good.

Used the bike in Auckland for a day - took it up the lift and into the NZTA boardroom for a workshop.

Heading back to the airport in the rain I mucked around less. It was about 1 hour 15 from Parnell for the 24 km trip.
One niggle: there's a pump stored in the seatpost and it dropped out below the bottom bracket. Luckily I had some duct tape to secure it.

5 minutes in the paraplegic loos had me freshened up and ready to emplane with the suits headed for Wellington.
And 3 minutes after the bike emerged on the conveyor belt I was pedalling back to Newtown. Easy peasy!
patricio
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Fri 24/Jun/11 3:10pm

Awesome Pat!
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby EoinC on Fri 24/Jun/11 6:13pm

sifter wrote:Awesome Pat!

:withstupid:
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Simonk on Mon 27/Jun/11 8:30pm

If you like the idea of a folding bike, but there's something about the Dahons that doesn't tickle your fancy, you might want to check out the 2012 Giant Expressways, which arrived a fortnight ago. They are in the Giant dealer bike shops now and we have a new discount voucher especially for them (good for $130 off, taking the price down to $529 for Wellington Region residents).

What is different with the Expressway (c.f. the Eco C7)? The Expressway comes with a bag, 8 speeds, an adjustable handlebar, but it is a little bigger. If you are a regular peak-hour commuter, you might prefer the Dahon as it will just fit in the gap between the front and rear facing seats (with the seat pulled out). Otherwise, the lower price and carry bag might be the deciding factor.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has ridden them both.
Simonk

Postby LycraLarry on Mon 27/Jun/11 8:39pm

young Damian Day from Palmy rode to Taupo, did 2 laps then rode home last year on his bike Friday....this year he's doing 4 laps and we "the potato guy" will be driving support for him and he will time his ride to join the start of the 2 lap ride so he can ride along with a group. So if you are doing Taupo this year and see him give him a big thumbs up!
LycraLarry
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Postby jo on Mon 27/Jun/11 8:50pm

patricio wrote:stuff

A great story!
That'd sort out my Akl transport issues alright. :cool:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Simonk on Tue 28/Jun/11 10:56pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anivaFwHKeM&feature=player_embedded

An interesting wee clip for the Brompton fan club.
Simonk

Postby gypsyonabike on Fri 1/Jul/11 1:50pm

hi this is my first post (so I hope I'm doing this right)
I use my bike friday Pocket Llama to get a round the place doing around 5-10,000 km each year(as I can't drive and live 12 km out of town I get into town on the bike and over the summer time go on long bike tours with it taking the trailer ) I did taupo last year on the bike friday doing the 2 lap ride(no i did not take the trailer around with me)-it took me around 7 hours to ride my first lap and around 8 1/2 hour for the 2th lap as I like to take my time and have fun when on the bike( I might be faster this year when I do the 4 lap ride)there is a ride report on my blog from the taupo ride also there is some links on the blog to some of the tours that I done on the bike over the last 3 years the blog is at http://lifeonabikeinnz.blogspot.com/
gypsyonabike
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Postby Simonk on Tue 12/Jul/11 9:40pm

Wow! As expensive as the Bike Fridays are, it sounds like they are good value in the long run. Everyone who has one really seems to do exceptional stuff with them.

Looks like the less expensive Dahon's are sold out for the rest of the year in NZ at least. There are still some of the flasher ones around, but if you want a cheap folder the Giant expressway is all that's left (except for the occassional 'Metro', but not sure how long they would withstand Wellington's sea air - too many steel parts).
Simonk

Postby Simonk on Mon 17/Oct/11 9:50pm

I remember just before buying a folding bike somebody saying with great certainty that they were inappropriate for riding from Wellington Railway Station to the Hospital - 5 km on the flat was too far. That kind of ignorant proclaimation can be hard to forget. But sometimes it's funny to recall it.

Last week Karen from work borrowed one of Greater Wellington's Dahon folding bikes to ride to the train station, catch the train to Ngaio and ride a little bit further from there. After a wee mix-up with trains and platforms, she found herself having to get off at the bottom of Ngaio Gorge and ride up from there. This was her first time on a folding bike and she had a couple of bags with her. I was impressed!

So on Sunday I set off from Waikanae and rode over the Akatarawas and then Moonshine Hill (mighty glad I was on the 27 speed model of Dahon). It took me a couple of minutes less than the journey planner estimated:
http://www.journeyplanner.org.nz/?x=175 ... de=cycling

And then today I read about Keely's cycle touring in the Wairarapa on her Brompton:
http://cyclingwellington.co.nz/2011/10/ ... ring-bike/

Don't let anyone tell you what you can't do on a bicycle - any bicycle - without a huge grain of salt.
Simonk

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts