Flying With Bike

Postby adikt on Tue 21/Jul/15 3:58pm

I've had a dig around, but haven't found anything useful regarding this, but please point me in the right direction if I've missed a thread somewhere.

I'm wondering how much it would generally cost to fly with a bike, say Auckland to Chch or Auckland to Queenstown?

And any major dos/donts? Would a bike in a regular cardboard bike box survive such a journey? Obviously a proper bike travel case would be better, but I don't have one of them (yet).

Would I be better off sending bike on a courier than taking it on the plane?
adikt
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Re: Flying With Bike

Postby scatter on Tue 21/Jul/15 4:03pm

A bike is counted as normal luggage. So if you want to take a bike and a bag of gear, then you need to buy two pieces of luggage

I travel domestic and internationally with my bikes. I usually double box mine (one bike box inside the other). I've only had one issue and it was mostly my own fault. I've also used a Groundeffect Tardis and it's been fine. You've just got to make sure you pack it well.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 21/Jul/15 4:23pm

30 dollars air nz if you prebook it as a second bag, iirc it is more if you rock up and then add it on.

I double box mine and have not seen any damage, you need to remember to take off the rear mech and anything else flapping and think about what is going to move where depending on how the box is tiled (rotors are worth a think, I usually remove my front)

Put tape around the edges of grab holes to stop the wayward baggage blokes ripping them out.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 21/Jul/15 4:29pm

Scatter and Wobbs are on it, though if your bike is on the heavy end be aware how much a bike box weighs.
My bike + box + shoes, riding bag etc is a sparrows nut under the 23kg. From memory a cardboard bike box was almost 6kg - I was surprised.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Malcy on Tue 21/Jul/15 4:41pm

NO no no, planes fly. It's much easier to fly with a plane. :-D

But yup to all that's been said. I have a CrateWorks box, and a Ground Effect Bodybag. Depending on the bike, and my mood, I'll use either.

The CW box, with my Enduro, is 23KG. I have to dismantle a little, and then I put the pedals, and tools into my luggage. I have heard people do things like let air out of their forks and shocks and tyres and such, but really at a PSI difference or so between here and 30,000ft? Why bother?

And for the merest of gms saved? Na.
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby philstar on Tue 21/Jul/15 6:18pm

Malcy wrote:NO no no, planes fly. It's much easier to fly with a plane. :-D

But yup to all that's been said. I have a CrateWorks box, and a Ground Effect Bodybag. Depending on the bike, and my mood, I'll use either.

The CW box, with my Enduro, is 23KG. I have to dismantle a little, and then I put the pedals, and tools into my luggage. I have heard people do things like let air out of their forks and shocks and tyres and such, but really at a PSI difference or so between here and 30,000ft? Why bother?

And for the merest of gms saved? Na.

I let the air out of my forks so it fits better. and the stanchions are protected.

as long as it can handle 15psi more than what it is set at you have no pressure issue up to the Armstrong line. this should cover most cases (apart from road tyers pumped to the max).

for people who use a tardis, do you use extra cardboard? or any other tips you might have? I just got mine for a trip i am taking in 3 weeks :)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 21/Jul/15 6:32pm

Yeah weigh before flying, double boxing can add a bit of weight

Pretty sure cargo holds on planes are pressurized so dont bother dumping air/getting worried blah
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby adikt on Tue 21/Jul/15 10:00pm

Wow, I'm surprised it's just counted as a normal bit of baggage. Good to know.

And yeah, I hadn't thought about using two boxes. It was shipped to me, so I still have all the padding it came with to use.
adikt

Postby EoinC on Tue 21/Jul/15 11:41pm

And always make sure you book it on. When cargo space is tight, unbooked bikes get parked with unbooked surfboards, and unbooked golf clubs, and...
That can be an unnecessary disappointment.

Cardboard boxes from bike shops are generally free, and take most of the knocks (invest in some duct tape). A good bike bag is defo worth it, though, if you're doing plenty of traveling with critical kit. I watched from the plane as an exquisite gaggle of baggage handlers at Perth tried to see how many BT's they could throw on top of each other as we returned from Track Natz last year - Such a caring group of peoples.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby scatter on Wed 22/Jul/15 8:19am

philstar wrote:for people who use a tardis, do you use extra cardboard? or any other tips you might have? I just got mine for a trip i am taking in 3 weeks :)

Yup. Cardboard or piece of old sleeping mat between wheels and frame. Usually wrap the stanchions and handlebars with bits of that flexy polystyrene you can get. Don't forget to put a spacer in your fork legs and in your rear dropouts (we just cut a piece of rigid plastic pipe to the right size and use the axle). I also use my riding clothes and Camelbak as extra padding around the frame.

My observation has been that they treat a box a little more kindly than a Tardis cos they don't recognise what the Tardis is. That said, even a box with often end up at the bottom of a pile of baggage (despite fragile, this way up and top stow only stickers :hmmm: ).
scatter

Postby ryda on Wed 22/Jul/15 8:50am

scatter wrote:My observation has been that they treat a box a little more kindly than a Tardis cos they don't recognise what the Tardis is. That said, even a box with often end up at the bottom of a pile of baggage (despite fragile, this way up and top stow only stickers :hmmm: ).
I'm not sure on the first part of this statement. We have travelled with both boxes and tradis/body bags on the same trip, the boxes (not the well packed bikes inside) just about always get damaged, being a 'large even shape' like you said end up on the bottom with every other random odd shaped item on top, I even once (domestic flight) watched a BMX bike that didn't have the peddel removed just wrapped in glad wrap get pulled off the top of my box ripping it open in the process
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby scatter on Wed 22/Jul/15 9:02am

As long as it's the box getting damaged and not my bike, then I'm a happy camper.....

Boxes tend to be bulky enough and the handholds positioned such that that they can't heft them like they can a Tardis.
scatter

Postby Malcy on Wed 22/Jul/15 9:36am

I watched (in the good old days of Origin Pacific) my bike get thrown about. Dented the frame, wasn't good.

I got money out of them.

Hey Adikt, where are you flying to and from?
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby adikt on Wed 22/Jul/15 9:40am

Malcy - a little undecided atm, half-pie thinking about doing 6/12hr at McLeans Island in chch in October, but not sure my fitness (and finances) will be up to it yet.
Plus want to get down to Queenstown in summer to have a play.

Flying out of auckland.
adikt

Postby Rik on Wed 22/Jul/15 10:12am

adikt wrote:half-pie thinking about doing 6/12hr at McLeans Island in chch in October, but not sure my fitness (and finances) will be up to it yet.

Do eet. October is ages away. Plenty of time to save and train.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Cycling - Latest Posts