Re: Flying With Bike

Postby trancemaster on Sun 26/Jul/15 5:21pm

card boxes cost nix.
i once had a over sized eBike box, was fab, leave rear wheel and handle bars on.
would like to find a replacement one.

Tardis is 2nd best bet , but has v little room for extra intertnal protection or gear.

in any package, fill all the space with polystyrene blocks - to eliminate rattle and damage.

always remove rotors then pack the brake drums, and usually remove derailleur, buffer inbetween the frame and wheels to avoid scratching

PS anyone got good advice over USA Domestic flights ?
I hear all bikes cost $$$ extra ... and for really bad service

happy bike travel ~
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Sun 26/Jul/15 6:18pm

Page 3 and no treadmill jokes :ib:
znomit
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby philstar on Sun 26/Jul/15 6:36pm

trancemaster wrote:PS anyone got good advice over USA Domestic flights ?
I hear all bikes cost $$$ extra ... and for really bad service

flying-with-bike-t127182-15.html#p2625254
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby davidg on Mon 27/Jul/15 11:36am

I think US airlines (probably all airlines) vary in terms of how they charge for bikes. We flew Air NZ to Hawaii then used Hawaiian Airlines to hop between the islands and both just treated the bike box as luggage and ignored the linear size limit but not all airlines do this

The wording is often confusing on the various airline web sites and I actually had to write to Air NZ to get them to confirm what their rules actually were as they could have been interpreted in 2 distinct ways. I outlined what I was planning to take and asked them to confirm in writing that there would be no additional costs other than those I listed. Then if I got any grief at the airport I could show them the printout as evidence I was in the right.
davidg
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Mon 21st May 3:51pm

has anyone tried attaching wheels to a cardboard bike box like this?

http://www.bobbinheadcycleclassic.com.a ... els/gjioft

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqpjyhAszoc

thoughts?
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby EoinC on Tue 22nd May 7:10am

My daughter flies frequently with 2 bikes (road + track) in a cardboard box (Cycling Australia), despite having hard and softcase bike boxes. She attaches skateboard trucks to the bottom, which serves well, and don't stick out the side.
EoinC
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Tue 22nd May 1:20pm

EoinC wrote:My daughter flies frequently with 2 bikes (road + track) in a cardboard box (Cycling Australia), despite having hard and softcase bike boxes. She attaches skateboard trucks to the bottom, which serves well, and don't stick out the side.

does she leave them on for the flight? the two methods you remove the wheels for the flight and re attache them at the other end, so stick out the side is not a biggie (may be even advantageous to increase balance.

I am going to be on the look out for skateboard trucks at curb side recycling :)
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby EoinC on Wed 23rd May 7:11am

She leaves them on. Last week she flew Perth > Auckland > Wellington > Hamilton > Wellington > Melbourne > Perth with 2 bikes in 1 box, plus handcarry.
EoinC

Postby philstar on Wed 23rd May 12:53pm

EoinC wrote:She leaves them on. Last week she flew Perth > Auckland > Wellington > Hamilton > Wellington > Melbourne > Perth with 2 bikes in 1 box, plus handcarry.

photo would be cool, particularly inside attachments.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby EoinC on Thu 24th May 7:08am

philstar wrote:
EoinC wrote:She leaves them on. Last week she flew Perth > Auckland > Wellington > Hamilton > Wellington > Melbourne > Perth with 2 bikes in 1 box, plus handcarry.

photo would be cool, particularly inside attachments.

I'm in Kuala Lumpur, and she's in perth at the moment, but I'll see what I / she can do.
EoinC

Postby EoinC on Sun 27th May 4:36pm

A bit old and tired, but this has lasted through several trips to races in Australia and NZ, and over to Europe and back, with 2 bikes in the box.
33675187_10215397148711843_3455714103492870144_n.jpg
EoinC

Postby doogee on Mon 4th Jun 12:05pm

philstar wrote:has anyone tried attaching wheels to a cardboard bike box like this?

http://www.bobbinheadcycleclassic.com.a ... els/gjioft

I did a version of this one. It worked pretty well, although I had to get the straps pulled really tight or if I hit a big bump the bar on the bottom of the box would tend to flip up, bringing it to a fairly abrupt stop. I used a heat-formable plastic called Polymorph for the bar rather than aluminium as I had some lying around.
doogee
Member for: 3 years 10 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 11th Jun 10:58am

Re bikes on US airlines - my understanding is that under IATA rules the baggage rules of the "dominant carrier", usually the carrier of origin, or longest leg of ticket/route are observed/mandated for all carriers on that ticket/route.

Therefore if you fly across the Pacific on AirNZ you can (with knowledge that the regs are on your side & gentle persistence) take your bike on usa internal flights per AirNZ baggage rules / allowances. I used to know the specific IATA regulation number - when I find it again I'll edit his & post it up.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Mon 11th Jun 3:28pm

pedalingkiwi wrote:Re bikes on US airlines - my understanding is that under IATA rules the baggage rules of the "dominant carrier", usually the carrier of origin, or longest leg of ticket/route are observed/mandated for all carriers on that ticket/route.

Therefore if you fly across the Pacific on AirNZ you can (with knowledge that the regs are on your side & gentle persistence) take your bike on usa internal flights per AirNZ baggage rules / allowances. I used to know the specific IATA regulation number - when I find it again I'll edit his & post it up.

only if you have brought them on the same ticket (quite often it is cheaper not to). and it becomes tricky to persist on multi stop tickets, or any flight that your baggage is not already checked for (like return flight).

I intend for my next flight to use this service bikeflights once I land in the US as I do not need my bike for a few day after I land. Has anyone used them?
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby philstar on Thu 21st Jun 12:03pm

I tried to do it this way

DSC_0514 small.jpg

but the pieces of angle kept on twisting

DSC_0513_small.jpg

so when i get a box i will cut a piece of angle to fit across the back of the box and rivet it between the wheel holders
philstar
"misanthropic"

Cycling - Latest Posts