Re: Flying With Bike

Postby Malcy on Wed 22/Jul/15 10:57am

adikt wrote:Malcy - a little undecided atm, half-pie thinking about doing 6/12hr at McLeans Island in chch in October, but not sure my fitness (and finances) will be up to it yet.
Plus want to get down to Queenstown in summer to have a play.

Flying out of auckland.

Ah cool. If Welly, you could have borrowed my CrateWorkx
Malcy
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby philstar on Wed 22/Jul/15 11:28am

scatter wrote: Don't forget to put a spacer in your fork legs and in your rear dropouts (we just cut a piece of rigid plastic pipe to the right size and use the axle).

my tardis came with 2 rigid piece plastic of pipe, i am assuming one is 100mm long and the other is 135mm :) I have to get a spacer for my disk brakes too.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby adikt on Wed 22/Jul/15 12:08pm

Rik wrote:
adikt wrote:half-pie thinking about doing 6/12hr at McLeans Island in chch in October, but not sure my fitness (and finances) will be up to it yet.

Do eet. October is ages away. Plenty of time to save and train.

Yeah, pretty keen to do it. Going to doc tomorrow to see if it's likely to be a go.

Then just need to clear it with finance minister & find some peoples to make a team I guess.
adikt
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 22/Jul/15 4:20pm

philstar wrote:I have to get a spacer for my disk brakes too.

Folded up toilet roll tube. Rip it in half and you can do front and rear with one!
dwgknz
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 22/Jul/15 4:31pm

Anyone got any experience with Virgin Aus or Delta? Just started considering taking bike to Canada instead of empty suitcase for my wife to fill with roots hoodies. Bluenoser who appears on here every now and then told me about some riding round Halifax to Czech out.
dwgknz

Postby pedalingkiwi on Wed 22/Jul/15 6:30pm

scatter wrote:
philstar wrote:for people who use a tardis, do you use extra cardboard? or any other tips you might have? I just got mine for a trip i am taking in 3 weeks :)

Yup. Cardboard or piece of old sleeping mat between wheels and frame. Usually wrap the stanchions and handlebars with bits of that flexy polystyrene you can get. Don't forget to put a spacer in your fork legs and in your rear dropouts (we just cut a piece of rigid plastic pipe to the right size and use the axle). I also use my riding clothes and Camelbak as extra padding around the frame.

My observation has been that they treat a box a little more kindly than a Tardis cos they don't recognise what the Tardis is. That said, even a box with often end up at the bottom of a pile of baggage (despite fragile, this way up and top stow only stickers :hmmm: ).

I've gone Tardis all the way - Australia, USA, Indonesia - nil issues with bike damage (29'r) but it does take some care & thought to bundle the bike + wheels + bars into a nice neat package. As Scatter says closed cell foam or cardboard is your friend, plus bike shoes, knee pads, other clothing as padding in pointy places. I use 6-8 of those 'sperm bungies' to tie it all together, zip er up & voila .....good to go, and fits into cars/station wagons better than bloody great boxes, etc

And the other great thing about Tardis is that @ 1.8kg is doesn't gobble your weight allowance like other options do.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby phunk on Wed 22/Jul/15 8:15pm

Ive just taken the handle bar off and put a clear plastic bag over the bike and had no issues.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 22/Jul/15 11:36pm

phunk wrote:Ive just taken the handle bar off and put a clear plastic bag over the bike and had no issues.

Many airlines require a bike box. Qantas for example, will not let you fly your bike without (and will charge you to use one of theirs, if they have any available).
EoinC
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby philstar on Thu 23/Jul/15 12:30pm

dwgknz wrote:Anyone got any experience with Virgin Aus or Delta? Just started considering taking bike to Canada instead of empty suitcase for my wife to fill with roots hoodies. Bluenoser who appears on here every now and then told me about some riding round Halifax to Czech out.

when I looked at delta they have a surcharge for a bike look $150 usd I think Air NZ charge $100nz for an extra bag
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Malcy on Thu 23/Jul/15 2:08pm

Any airline in North America is really going to cost you a packet.

Bar Stewards.
Malcy
Member for: 17 years 0 months

Postby dwgknz on Thu 23/Jul/15 2:18pm

philstar wrote:
dwgknz wrote:Anyone got any experience with Virgin Aus or Delta? Just started considering taking bike to Canada instead of empty suitcase for my wife to fill with roots hoodies. Bluenoser who appears on here every now and then told me about some riding round Halifax to Czech out.

when I looked at delta they have a surcharge for a bike look $150 usd I think Air NZ charge $100nz for an extra bag

Yeah saw that. Trying to work out if I can take as my piece of luggage rather than a special item.

Also $150 aint bad if I can get it to Canada for free as first two flights are Virgin and then only have to pay on way home.

5 of us going, I can throw some clothes in one of the kids bags.
dwgknz

Postby znomit on Thu 23/Jul/15 7:49pm

philstar wrote:when I looked at delta they have a surcharge for a bike look $150 usd I think Air NZ charge $100nz for an extra bag

Bicycles over 100 lbs will not be accepted. :blink: :ib:
znomit
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Thu 23/Jul/15 9:22pm

dwgknz wrote:
philstar wrote:

Yeah saw that. Trying to work out if I can take as my piece of luggage rather than a special item.

Also $150 aint bad if I can get it to Canada for free as first two flights are Virgin and then only have to pay on way home.

5 of us going, I can throw some clothes in one of the kids bags.

you will be pussed to fit a bike in

50 lbs (23 kg)
62 inches (157 cm) when you total length+width+height

157cm total dimensions
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby dwgknz on Thu 23/Jul/15 11:07pm

Split across 3 large suitcases and frame in a hockey bag could be a goer.
dwgknz

Postby davidg on Fri 24/Jul/15 7:20pm

Currently in Hawaii having flown Air NZ. Basically a bike is classed as "sporting equipment" so as long as it does not exceed 23 kg the usual "linear dimension" limit is not enforced. So in theory you can take your bike box loaded with bike and gear up to 23 kg as your "suitcase" and maybe a "carry-on" bag without needing to book an extra bit of luggage.

We usually get asked to confirm we have let the air out of the tyres and shocks when we check in and don't have any chain oil, which is usually flammable. Letting the air out is the only way by XL 29er will fit in the box anyway.

Also if you clean the tyres before you head home the border security people seem to be less stringent as they can see you are not a complete Muppet.

A word of warning if taking bikes to Hawaii - none of the airports have X-ray machines big enough To scan them so the TSA guy will open and manually search them every time you fly, even domestically which is a real pain in the ass when island hopping.

Also there is a particular tree everywhere that drops 10 mm rigid needles so you need to go tubeless or get mega-thick tubes. I discovered the needles also go through your sneakers into your feet so they are pretty meaty.
davidg
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Cycling - Latest Posts