Which alternative flag?

Silver fern.
2%
Silver fern with less silver, some stars, and a red corner.
7%
Whirlpool
7%
Silver fern with less silver, some stars, and a black corner.
29%
Red Peak.
55%

Total voters : 42

Re: Flag Pole Poll

Postby znomit on Thu 3/Mar/16 11:51pm

Bump.

Decision time. Do you really want to make JK cry?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Fri 4/Mar/16 12:17am

Existing flag is going to humilate the tea towel ...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=11598928
I never thought I'd be defending the current flag. But then I saw the Kyle Lockwood option. It's not Kyle Lockwood's fault his designs got so far in the process.

This process has been a reality show, and it was the judges who told him he could sing. Now it's the final episode. And we, the audience, have to be honest.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 4/Mar/16 7:41am

Current flag for me, not the best flag but >>>>>>>>>>>>shitty tea towel
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 4/Mar/16 8:29am

Yeah, current flag. Don't know why anyone would vote for the Lockwood monstrosity.

If we actually do get the Lockwood one, I guess I can't really be that upset. We'll get what we deserve. It can be our big rubber stamp of ineptitude.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 4/Mar/16 8:39am

I'm not sure I follow the logic of having another choice in the near future. It must be a massive bureaucratic nightmare to change over. Driver's licenses, passports (I'm not actually sure if it has flag actually). I heard the Army have 5000 flags that will need replacing. Or am I thinking about this too much? $26M was probably just for the referendum, I don't know what the actual cost could be.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Fri 4/Mar/16 8:43am

I saw some Facebook sooking the other day saying "the black and blue flag wasn't the first choice of the majority of voters, this process is corrupt therefore keep the current flag".

I'd have though that fans of the either tea towel would vote for its alternate in the second vote regardless - apparently not.

So yeah, I'm picking a landslide for the current flag.

From the outset my mindset has been that it would take an awesome design to make me want to change, and we haven't come up with an awesome design. If we change now it feels like change for the sake of change, and a missed opportunity to get something better in the future.

Blah blah down with the monarchy etc etc
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Wobbler on Fri 4/Mar/16 9:16am

The tea towel could have at least got the same blue on it ffs
Wobbler

Postby Rik on Fri 4/Mar/16 9:39am

I'd vote for the existing flag solely because of massive embarrassment value that it will have for Mr John Key if the vote goes that way.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby znomit on Fri 4/Mar/16 9:54am

Rik wrote:I'd vote for the existing flag solely because of massive embarrassment value that it will have for Mr John Key if the vote goes that way.

That's really quite a shame.

We should do this again and shoot any politician who voices an opinion. Maybe the ones who don't voice an opinion too.
znomit

Postby Wobbler on Fri 4/Mar/16 10:04am

Rik wrote:I'd vote for the existing flag solely because of massive embarrassment value that it will have for Mr John Key if the vote goes that way.
What will jk do with all the lapel pins he has had made!
Wobbler

Postby mfw on Fri 4/Mar/16 10:09am

mudguard wrote:I'm not sure I follow the logic of having another choice in the near future. It must be a massive bureaucratic nightmare to change over. Driver's licenses, passports (I'm not actually sure if it has flag actually). I heard the Army have 5000 flags that will need replacing. Or am I thinking about this too much? $26M was probably just for the referendum, I don't know what the actual cost could be.

Old flag will still be legal tender, they'll just replace the old flags with the new when stuff wears out / expires.

Lets write a requirements spec for a national flag:
Requirement 1: Flag shall identify the country unambiguously. Current NZ flag = FAIL
Requirement 2: Should look nice, be inoffensive blah blah blah, this is all bike shedding

Based on requirement 1. I vote change :D
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 4/Mar/16 10:15am

Funny your requirement 1 reasoning also falls under your link ;)
Wobbler

Postby nostromo on Fri 4/Mar/16 11:52am

Wobbler wrote:The tea towel could have at least got the same blue on it ffs

Agree this is something that bothers me about the new flag, the old flags shade blue is classy, the new one's is garish kids-toy kind of blue.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Dougal on Fri 4/Mar/16 12:00pm

mfw wrote:
mudguard wrote:I'm not sure I follow the logic of having another choice in the near future. It must be a massive bureaucratic nightmare to change over. Driver's licenses, passports (I'm not actually sure if it has flag actually). I heard the Army have 5000 flags that will need replacing. Or am I thinking about this too much? $26M was probably just for the referendum, I don't know what the actual cost could be.

Old flag will still be legal tender, they'll just replace the old flags with the new when stuff wears out / expires.

Lets write a requirements spec for a national flag:
Requirement 1: Flag shall identify the country unambiguously. Current NZ flag = FAIL
Requirement 2: Should look nice, be inoffensive blah blah blah, this is all bike shedding

Based on requirement 1. I vote change :D

There are a lot of countries with flags far more confusable than ours. But I think we should campaign for Australia to change theirs. Problem solved at minor expense.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Conners on Fri 4/Mar/16 12:20pm

nostromo wrote:
Wobbler wrote:The tea towel could have at least got the same blue on it ffs

Agree this is something that bothers me about the new flag, the old flags shade blue is classy, the new one's is garish kids-toy kind of blue.

Precisely, I've been banging on about this from the get go. It's frikking MS Paint/standard hyperlink blue ffs. At least the blue on the blue/red tea towel was aligned with the classy blue of the current flag.

This is my main reason that the new design can GTFO.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Sifting - Latest Posts