Which alternative flag?

Silver fern.
2%
Silver fern with less silver, some stars, and a red corner.
7%
Whirlpool
7%
Silver fern with less silver, some stars, and a black corner.
29%
Red Peak.
55%

Total voters : 42

Re: Flag Pole Poll

Postby Claude on Sat 26/Sep/15 5:15pm

"Red Peak" - yawn.
In fact none of them make me want to support any change.
Claude
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby znomit on Sat 26/Sep/15 8:03pm

The losing 4 will go into coalition and crush red peak.
znomit
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Nathan007 on Sun 27/Sep/15 10:15am

Nathan007
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:31am

Are they supposed to look like they have wangs?
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 16 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 28/Sep/15 10:51am

happybaboon wrote:Are they supposed to look like they have wangs?

A flag needs a pole.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Sims on Mon 28/Sep/15 12:26pm

Sims
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 28/Sep/15 12:34pm

Sims wrote:Here's an actual designers opinion.

https://medium.com/@simon.momento/red-p ... 0d3094585b

He has some good points, I would have liked to see him include some of the top 40 in the critique - there were other contenders from a design perspective.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby Sims on Mon 28/Sep/15 12:55pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:
Sims wrote:Here's an actual designers opinion.

https://medium.com/@simon.momento/red-p ... 0d3094585b

He has some good points, I would have liked to see him include some of the top 40 in the critique - there were other contenders from a design perspective.

Had to draw the line somewhere ;)

- But yes, a follow up selecting the best options from a design perspective would be cool. There's actually a couple of good designs that didn't even make the final 40.
Sims

Postby dwgknz on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:01pm

I'd say he's created some points to support his view about how much he likes Red Peak.

Red Peak looks like a logo, we're not a corporation we don't need a logo.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Sims on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:08pm

dwgknz wrote:I'd say he's created some points to support his view about how much he likes Red Peak.

Redpeak is the only flag that doesn't look like a logo... :eh:
Besides, isn't writing points that support my view, the very purpose of an opinion/education piece?
Last edited by Sims on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:12pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sims

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:08pm

dwgknz wrote:I'd say he's created some points to support his view about how much he likes Red Peak.

The fern is a logo, and every iteration it has appeared in looks like a brand or a sports team. Gross.
Velocipedestrian

Postby dwgknz on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:51pm

Sims wrote:

Besides, isn't writing points that support my view, the very purpose of an opinion/education piece?

Didn't realise you were the author, could have been a bit more diplomatic sorry.

Everytime I see Red Peak the first thought is that it looks like a military unit flash, a quick recognition symbol. My second is that it looks like a logo for an SME (this one has actually been proven in the States).

It all depends if you were trying to educate people on flag design or on the design of Red Peak. You sub-titled the piece "A visual designer’s guide to flag voting" but I felt you went down a route of saying that Red Peak was better than the others because of this subset of design principles. Kind of like how politicians get up and say I'm better than the other guy/gal instead of saying I'm good because. Just my view.
dwgknz

Postby dwgknz on Mon 28/Sep/15 1:53pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:

The fern is a logo, and every iteration it has appeared in looks like a brand or a sports team. Gross.

I think these flag choices are gross but as a principle don't find the fern to be like that. Kind of like the maple leaf, it's ugly but it works for Canada.
dwgknz

Postby Sims on Mon 28/Sep/15 2:04pm

dwgknz wrote:
Sims wrote:

Didn't realise you were the author, could have been a bit more diplomatic sorry.

Everytime I see Red Peak the first thought is that it looks like a military unit flash, a quick recognition symbol. My second is that it looks like a logo for an SME (this one has actually been proven in the States).

It all depends if you were trying to educate people on flag design or on the design of Red Peak. You sub-titled the piece "A visual designer’s guide to flag voting" but I felt you went down a route of saying that Red Peak was better than the others because of this subset of design principles. Kind of like how politicians get up and say I'm better than the other guy/gal instead of saying I'm good because. Just my view.

Please don't be diplomatic - I enjoy the discourse :)

You might be reading too deeply into my sub titling. Writing is not my strong suit; I'd hoped to provide visual examples to illustrate the candidate that I believe is the best designed option from the available choices. This is based upon my experience as a visual designer - And ultimately this experience informs my opinion that Red Peak is better.

The reality is that a new flag is a difficult visual device for people to wrap their heads around. Everything is new once - so the story also has to begin somewhere. It's not surprising to me that you feel this way about Red Peak. I'd be interested to see how you felt one year from now. Perhaps for me, the most compelling reason for Red Peaks acceptance, is peoples desire to share their take on things. Its design leaves a lot of interpretation up to the viewer, and that to me is a good thing in a device tasked with representing an entire nation.

Which designs have you resonated with?
Last edited by Sims on Mon 28/Sep/15 2:30pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sims

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 28/Sep/15 2:25pm

Pre our flag change, we never really used such a simplified version of it - not like the silver fern. The leafs we used generally had more detail, and often were three together. Saying that, I don't really care for our flag - but it does the job.

Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Sifting - Latest Posts