Fixie Feature In Saturdays Herald Canvas Paper

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:01pm

I was aiming for some alliteration but didn't get very far.... :blush:

A good artical about Aucklands Fixie "culture" - if we can call it that.

There will be the cycling(probably me as well) and non cycling people who'll say riding without brakes is nuts and so is their take on playing in traffic but hopefully the feature will show a little of the fun and asthetic of it all.

:) The writer took a FG out for a spin and seemed to genuinely enjoy it too.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Re: Fixie Feature In Saturdays Herald Canvas Paper

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:23pm

aucklands fixie culture is all tight jeans, bandanas and ghey retro sunglasses. metro station on bikes :hmmm: :hmmm:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby wachtourak on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:27pm

I bet they wear scarves too, even on hot days

There was even an article on fixies in Loaded (rubbish FHM-ish mag) so it shows how much of a trend it is these days
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby thorg on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:33pm

Fixies are so last week. Unicycles are the new fixie.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:35pm

unicycles are fixies!
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby thorg on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:36pm

that sort of was my point, I was going for sarcastic irony, but it appears I failed :(
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:38pm

shmoodiver wrote:aucklands fixie culture is all tight jeans, bandanas and ghey retro sunglasses. metro station on bikes :hmmm: :hmmm:

Jealous much? :sly:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:45pm

soooooooooooo jealous. i wish i was that hip :love:
shmoodiver

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:46pm

thorg wrote:that sort of was my point, I was going for sarcastic irony, but it appears I failed :(

ah yes i see your iron now, but alas i missed it before, maybe we could get a recumbent granny gangster scene going?
shmoodiver

Postby thorg on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:49pm

shmoodiver wrote:
thorg wrote:that sort of was my point, I was going for sarcastic irony, but it appears I failed :(

ah yes i see your iron now, but alas i missed it before, maybe we could get a recumbent granny gangster scene going?
I really want to try a recumbent some day - just to see what they are like. I get the impression they would be nice on the flat, but getting up a hill, and stability down I wonder . . . . . .

And they just look weird.

But then at least it would suit my fashion sense of beard with sandles and socks :)
thorg
"what blog?"

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 14/Mar/09 5:51pm

sounds like you need to do more ironing, so that you have a more irony appearance on-line
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Mar/09 6:01pm

thorg wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:

I really want to try a recumbent some day - just to see what they are like. I get the impression they would be nice on the flat, but getting up a hill, and stability down I wonder . . . . . .

And they just look weird.

But then at least it would suit my fashion sense of beard with sandles and socks :)

they certainly haul on teh flat, but no power up a hill and no way of bunnyhopping curbs and the likes :crazy:
shmoodiver

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 14/Mar/09 6:22pm

The only Fixie at our house is our son's trike...and as a '6 "1 man...its bloody hard to ride...scarf or not.
I'd like to see some modern day beetnik riding that baby along Tamaki Drive... ;)
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Sat 14/Mar/09 6:23pm

what about the emerging recumbent unicycle culture?
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14/Mar/09 6:31pm

beardy, sock and sandal goodness with a whole heap of circus sideshow thrown in? i like it!
shmoodiver

Auckland | Auckland Region | Cycling | Fixed Gear | New Zealand | Regions | Upper North Island - Latest Posts