Fitting Ss/track Flip Flop 120mm To Std Geared Bike?

Postby slumdog on Tue 9/Jul/13 9:25am

Is it possible? What is required? .

I am aware of requiring the perfect right chain length on a vertical drop frame, but thinking a little sag isn't going to cause an issue if it is run as SS.

for my commuter, current rims are shithouse, and attracted to low price and low maintenance. Chur.
Last edited by slumdog on Tue 9/Jul/13 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Re: Fittingg Ss/track Flip Flop 100mm To Std Geared Bike?

Postby Oli on Tue 9/Jul/13 9:39am

Pulling your frame in from 130 or 135mm to 120mm (I presume? 100mm is a front hub width) isn't good for the life of your seat and/or chainstays - it will stress them badly.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 9/Jul/13 10:04am

Put a longer axle in it and space the hub out? Or is that poop for the hub somehow?
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Tue 9/Jul/13 10:28am

wachtourak wrote:Put a longer axle in it and space the hub out? Or is that poop for the hub somehow?

Not if you have the right axle...chainline will be a bit suss though.
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 9/Jul/13 10:28am

wachtourak wrote:Put a longer axle in it and space the hub out? Or is that poop for the hub somehow?

yeah thats do-able but will have issues with chainline. If you really want good ss/fuxienuss on a vert drop bike get a one industries eno hub (not cheap but)
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby thorg on Tue 9/Jul/13 10:42am

Could use a standard disc hub, put a SS conversion kit on the freehub side, and a 6 bolt cog (tommycog?) on the disc side.

Doesn't solve the tension issue though. And don't run too much sag if you're going fixxed, or you will be :-D
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby slumdog on Tue 9/Jul/13 12:30pm

Thanks heaps guys! Yeah sorry 120mm. Is it likely the axle on my current wheelset, the rest of which will get binned, would be a transferrable donor?
slumdog

Re: Fitting Ss/track Flip Flop 120mm To Std Geared Bike?

Postby slumdog on Tue 9/Jul/13 1:17pm

Looking at this pic:
If the threads are the same, with added spacers on the old 130mm axle, I should be able to take out the 120mm solid axle, and thread the 130mm through the new cones, space it up with additional nuts on either side of the axle so the chainline is mint, and roll?

I'm not above ghettoing and leaving the derailleur on to hold the chain in place...

Opinions appreciated.
slumdog

Postby danose on Tue 9/Jul/13 1:34pm

slumdog wrote:I should be able to take out the 120mm solid axle, and thread the 130mm through the new cones, space it up with additional nuts on either side of the axle so the chainline is mint, and roll?

you'll never get the chainline even remotely right - better to get a conventional cassette hub and use a conversion kit with adjustable chainline (surly or a clone)

http://surlybikes.com/parts/drivetrain/spacer_kit
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby neels on Tue 9/Jul/13 5:36pm

danose wrote:you'll never get the chainline even remotely right - better to get a conventional cassette hub and use a conversion kit with adjustable chainline (surly or a clone)

I have this setup on my singlespeed, standard freehub with singlespeed cog.

And for added ghettoness, I discovered a while ago that spacers made from 40mm electrical conduit fits nicely on a shimano freehub :D
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 9/Jul/13 6:41pm

danose wrote:
slumdog wrote:I should be able to take out the 120mm solid axle, and thread the 130mm through the new cones, space it up with additional nuts on either side of the axle so the chainline is mint, and roll?

you'll never get the chainline even remotely right - better to get a conventional cassette hub and use a conversion kit with adjustable chainline (surly or a clone)

:baaa: :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Conners on Tue 9/Jul/13 8:16pm

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:
danose wrote:

:baaa: :thumbsup:

Congrats on using the quote feature correctly :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 9/Jul/13 8:28pm

:D
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby slumdog on Wed 10/Jul/13 8:45am

Thanks guys!
slumdog

Postby Garth on Wed 10/Jul/13 4:08pm

Should be easy as.
Get a 130mm axle and some spacers.
You should be able to get the chainline perfect by playing with what spacers are on on what side of hub.
If you end up moving the hub left or right of it's original centreline you will need to re-dish the rim a bit. I've done a couple of commuter wheels like that.
Garth
"My other bike is a..... singlespeed"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Cycling | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts