Re: Fitting Ss/track Flip Flop 120mm To Std Geared Bike?

Postby slumdog on Wed 24/Jul/13 12:42pm

Sorry to drag this up again,

What would be the pitfalls of pulling the road hub out of my current shit set, and lacing it into the back rim?

Spoke length would be one (track hubs have higher lips usually?), the fact I've never done relacing myself before(about time I learnt, would get shop to true and round it in for me), using a second hand hub.

what say ye vorbii, how could I complete this succesfully??
slumdog
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby slumdog on Thu 25/Jul/13 10:48am

Anybody?
slumdog

Postby Garth on Thu 25/Jul/13 12:23pm

If you have the time and patience you can do it.
The spoke length will definitely be different. There are online calculators that can give you the required length if you put the rim and hub models in.

You can use another wheel (of the same spoke count) to copy.
Garth
"My other bike is a..... singlespeed"
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby musta on Thu 25/Jul/13 3:20pm

What track hub do you currently have?

Sometimes the thread and the axle sizing can be slightly out (eg: Campagnolo vs. Shimano) so double check that. But if it fits a shimano axle they are easy to source. You will probably want a m10 one if you are running bolt up. Just make sure you get the right width with the right thread.

Lacing a wheel is easy, I've done a few now.
Best website for lacing instructions and easy to follow is http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html
(there is also some spoke length calculators there as well, the spreadsheet one has a good database)
Just make sure you follow all the steps including the stress relieving steps.
At the end of the day if its only for a commuter and you lace up 3x cross nothing can really go wrong.
You can just get some shitty spokes for like $1 each, no need to go over the top for you first wheel.
You can true it in the frame so you can avoid the bike shop if you wish.

Vertical drops outs single speed is also debatable. You will definitely want to run a single speed specific rear sprocket, don't just get one out of a cassette if you decide to run the road hub as the teeth on them aren't as high. (trust me i've tried numerous times, and even with good tension the chain will slip off at the wrong time)
Sprockets are pretty cheap to buy now and if you are really stingy you can make the cassette spacers from the right sized PVC pipe.
And look at buying a half link for your chain if needed, otherwise you can always do some filing in the dropouts or the axle which is also on the Sheldon Brown website.
musta
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby slumdog on Thu 25/Jul/13 4:08pm

Cheers guys!
slumdog

Cycling | Road Cycling | Track Cycling - Latest Posts