Re: First Cycle Tour - Otago

Postby jimmi on Mon 7/Oct/13 8:37am

Im looking at getting a similar bike for similar duties. At this stage it looks like a bulletproof alloy 29er hardtail with decent gear is at the top of my list.
jimmi
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby Riley-NZL on Mon 7/Oct/13 3:07pm

Made a quick video so you can see how it rides, there is some offroad stuff towards the end: http://youtu.be/7ztR_AyXI50
Riley-NZL
Member for: 4 years 6 months

Postby Riley-NZL on Sat 15/Mar/14 6:45pm

finally set a date, heading out on the 16th of April so will get some nice Autumn colors along the way. My Parents are going to be taking my trailer to Oamaru next time there down my way so packing everything I won't need to use before then now, and will pack everything else in when I get up there. Then a tour company is taking me from Oamaru up to the start by Mt Cook.

Made a list of what I'm packing, is there anything I've missed?

Packed:
Tent
Sleeping bag/Sleeping Mat
Stove, Matches
Cooking Pot/Pan and utensils.
Food meals/snacks (NZ Army Ration packs)
First Aid kit
Locks

To Pack:
Clothes, 2 sets + extra socks.
Jacket
Bike tools/Pump/Puncture kit
Spare tubes
Torch
Stove fuel 2x (Need to buy)
15000 mA/h USB Charger (in route)
Camera gear/Tripod
GPS
AA Batteries x8
Water

Packing the stuff in the back I'll only need at the end of each day, and stuff I'll need during the day in the front:

Riley-NZL

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 15/Mar/14 7:29pm

Looks like you have a comprehensive set of gear there.

Do you have Chamois cream (anti chafe cream used by cyclists)
At least one spare tube for the trailer?
A tyre boot
Pain killers and maybe some magnesium tablets?
Voltaren gel (or similar) good for if / when your knees get sore from multiple long days
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 15/Mar/14 7:34pm

scatter wrote:Please do let us know how it goes (I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in your setup)

Yes please do share how your trip goes, there are a number of us on here who love to see what riding others are up to

Riley-NZL wrote:I do intend to get a hard tail at some point, mostly comes down to money. Any suggestions on a good bike for this task?

For similar touring type riding I bought a secondhand Yeti ARC hardtail and built it up out of parts, some was from my other bikes that got upgraded, and a handful of new bits, bike have been great fun
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Riley-NZL on Sat 15/Mar/14 7:53pm

Hadn't thought of most of those things pushbikerider, looking at grabbing one spare tube each for the bike and trailer at this stage. Is a tyre boot that small piece of plastic used for fixing rips in tyres? Also what do Magnesium tablets do?

One thing I'm planning on taking that I hadn't mentioned is some protein powder to have at the end of each days riding, supposed to help stop getting sore muscles? Will be taking plenty of pictures along the way, picking which camera gear to bring along is going to be hard :P Looking at one Camera body (6D as its a bit lighter and built in GPS), 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8's and wireless trigger and tripod. If I don't stop there I'll end not being able to move the trailer :P
Riley-NZL

Postby pushbikerider on Sat 15/Mar/14 8:33pm

Are you tubed on the bike or tubeless? - tubed you can get away with 1 tube, i reckon on a tubeless bike I'd be carrying 2 tubes for the bike, plus one for the trailer

yes a tyre boot is something to patch the inside of the tyre if you damge it, I've got a section of road tyre with the bead cut off it, if you use plastic you will also need a tape to cover the length of the plastic, so that the sharp edge doesn't wreck the tube.

protein powder will help with recovery, but only really if you aren't eating enough. magnesium will help with sore muscles as it is one of the minerals that you sweat out,
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."

Postby Riley-NZL on Mon 17/Mar/14 3:26am

Tubed, will let you know how I go with everything.
Riley-NZL

Postby Riley-NZL on Tue 22/Apr/14 10:23am

Back in Dunedin, great ride except the horrible weather for the first three days. The locations where great, but most of the dedicated trail is horrible soft rocky crap that at some points I was sinking 2-3 inches into. Average speed per today varied from 22km/h for the Omarama -Duntroon sections (mostly road) to 8.5km/h for the sections along Lake Pukaki (horrible gravel road)

The trailer held up, there is a couple places where the canvas material has worn a bit from rubbing creating a couple small holes, also zero punctures or any other mechanical problems on bike or trailer. There was one or two fords I had to take the trailer off and carry it across, and several gates that I had to do the same.

Also strava page for the ride: http://www.strava.com/activities/132107815
Riley-NZL

Postby Riley-NZL on Tue 22/Apr/14 4:42pm

The Landscapes:

Riley-NZL

Postby Riley-NZL on Tue 22/Apr/14 4:44pm

The Trail/Bike:

Riley-NZL

Postby Malcy on Tue 22/Apr/14 5:20pm

VERY cool!

Thanks for sharing fella.
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Tue 22/Apr/14 5:47pm

Stunning pictures! :thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Conners on Tue 22/Apr/14 5:49pm

znomit wrote:Stunning pictures! :thumbsup:

What he said - epic :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby EoinC on Wed 23/Apr/14 8:38am

Conners wrote:
znomit wrote:Stunning pictures! :thumbsup:

What he said - epic :thumbsup:

+1
Great expedition, Riley. Good onya for carrying through with it, and I hope it inspires you to embark on more.
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts