Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Wobbler on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:27am

LETS ALL SING KUMBAYA AROUND A CAMP FIRE AND HUG
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 25/Sep/09 5:03pm

Oli wrote:Anyway, I'll apologise if my slightly combative responses to your misuse of my words offended. I was really just bantering with no malicious intent, so sorry if I pissed you off. Cheers, Oli :)

ditto brah, nothing wrong with being wrong.

fatwombat wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:humans are cheating natural selection by making safer cars and better medicines, let the weak and the stoopid die

So, shmoo, you'd consider the Americans bombing Afghan villages are inherently superior to their victims, the Germans really are superior to the Jews (who really are superior to the Palestinians), the people driving bigger "safer RVs are superior to the cyclists they kill - read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 273324.stm, there is no doubt these women were "weak and stupid", you'd be on the side of the gang members who burnt them to death?

ah no, that is so far from the point i made it's not funny, if anything it's kind of opposite....
you put up good arguments for a horse trainer
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby DropKick on Fri 25/Sep/09 6:37pm

Kazmeistyr wrote:Teh Swine Flu has failed us.

w3rd. A bit of natural selection probably would've been good for the world.

It beats unnatural selection :paranoid:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Jim on Fri 25/Sep/09 7:14pm

shmoodiver wrote:you put up good arguments for a horse trainer

Smoo, FW is not a horse trainer ;)

And on a side note, where would we find the land needed to grow the food required to feed double the current population?

How about the fuel to power the machinery required to farm the fields?
Jim
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Fraser on Fri 25/Sep/09 7:20pm

fatwombat wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:humans are cheating natural selection by making safer cars and better medicines, let the weak and the stoopid die

So, shmoo, you'd consider the Americans bombing Afghan villages are inherently superior to their victims, the Germans really are superior to the Jews (who really are superior to the Palestinians), the people driving bigger "safer RVs are superior to the cyclists they kill - read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 273324.stm, there is no doubt these women were "weak and stupid", you'd be on the side of the gang members who burnt them to death?

That is life though.
The yanks going in Afghanistan, what ever the deeper policies are. They just have bigger weapons, as the in fighting within Afghanistan is not really any moral high ground either. Nor is Palestine, as they are using what weapons they have too their disposal. Don't believe me, go there.

As for the BBC link. Get it straight - The woman set her OWN car on fire, with her own daughter inside. Had a bad day at work too?
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 25/Sep/09 7:24pm

Jim wrote:
shmoodiver wrote:you put up good arguments for a horse trainer

Smoo, FW is not a horse trainer ;)

i reckon it won't take long for him to rear his head
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby j2hyde on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:22pm

He's too dumb for a thread like this. He popped up a couple of days back but got squashed very quickly
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:26pm

oh yip
shmoodiver

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:42pm

You two are going at it like my daughter's Year 12 gossip club. If you get tired of childish name-calling I'm always keen to respond to an intelligent post. Interesting comment from you J2 - have I intruded in a private club? If so, I'll apologise and leave, but I had the impression this is a public forum where open and frank discussion is encouraged.
fatwombat
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby OliverBendix on Fri 25/Sep/09 11:04pm

fatwombat wrote: Interesting comment from you J2 - have I intruded in a private club?

Nah, that was a reference to an ex-troll / argumentative fella that was hanging around here for a while. Shmoo seems to have confused you with him - but his style was inarticulate, paranoid and really aggressive, nothing like yours.

It's nice reading some well written argument on Vorb.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby fatwombat on Sat 26/Sep/09 2:08am

OliverBendix wrote:. . . his style was inarticulate, paranoid and really aggressive, nothing like yours.

You're too kind: I'm . . . just as paranoid, but only slightly aggressive and more articulate?? :p :thumbsup:
fatwombat

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Sat 26/Sep/09 8:04am

He didn't churn out nearly as much pseudo-science bullshit sociology as you either. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Postby fatwombat on Sat 26/Sep/09 12:02pm

E Dogg Capizzle wrote:He didn't churn out nearly as much pseudo-science bullshit sociology as you either. :)

Yeah, it's hard to tell the difference. I prefer the psb myself, it's more creative and related to the real world than the sociology.
fatwombat

Postby Yogi on Sat 26/Sep/09 1:04pm

j2hyde wrote:
I'm not sure the "biological argument" you mention is relevant. There is little evidence supporting the theory that there is a carrying capacity for the humans species, and certainly no reliable estimate of what that capacity might be should it exist. As fatwombat and others have already pointed out scientists that study the subject believe we can produce more than enough food and other neccessities for at least twice the earths current human population, and if you kept reading that wikipedia article you quoted you'd see that the UN (amongst others) expects population growth to plateau before we get to that figure, based on extrapolating current trends.

And the answer to the second question is yes. Except that it's about more than just stretching resources .

So far every person who has predicted overpopulation doom and gloom has been wrong. And hey, you could be the first to be right, but I doubt it.

Something still erks me about what that Simon guy has to say. It's relying on human ability to solve problems before they get out of hand a little too much. It also seems to be very narrow on what he's taking in to account.
Yogi
Member for: 13 years 9 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts