Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby philstar on Fri 25/Sep/09 8:00am

fatwombat wrote:
philstar wrote:“Intrinsic value” is either a tautology or an oxymoron;

Nonsense - as others have tried to spell out to you: if I have a gold hammer, it has intrinsic value because it can be melted and sold as gold;


sorry not intrinsic value

fatwombat wrote:it has intrinsic utility because I can hammer things with it.


sorry that’s just utility ( unless you can describe something with extrinsic utility)

fatwombat wrote:
If I give it to someone I love then it has extrinsic sentimental value to them. Neither "Intrinsic" nor "value" implies the other, therefore they do not form a tautology. Neither do they exclude each other, therefore they do not form an oxymoron.


I was saying that if value is subjective, then nothing has value coming from within therefore "intrinsic value" is an oxymoron, if value is not subjective, then value is inherent in the object and the intrinsic is redundant (probably more accurate than tautology)
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby E Dogg Capizzle on Fri 25/Sep/09 8:01am

Shut the fuck up. :)
E Dogg Capizzle
User avatar
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Sep/09 8:18am

fatwombat wrote:
Oli wrote:
fatwombat wrote:But in this thread I wish I could think :exclaim:


It's always fun to quote someone out of context, isn't it? :thumbsup:


I don't know if it's fun, but it is certainly a good way to get more evidence for one's own point of view. And your point here is . . . ?
Can't you work it out? :eh:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Chickenman on Fri 25/Sep/09 8:23am

shmoodiver wrote:humans are cheating natural selection by making safer cars and better medicines, let the weak and the stoopid die


I'd go to your funeral bud.
Chickenman
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Sep/09 9:50am

Oli wrote:
fatwombat wrote:
Oli wrote:
fatwombat wrote:But in this thread I wish I could think :exclaim:


It's always fun to quote someone out of context, isn't it? :thumbsup:


I don't know if it's fun, but it is certainly a good way to get more evidence for one's own point of view. And your point here is . . . ?
Can't you work it out? :eh:

Can't you work THAT out? Am I asking you a question?
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Sep/09 9:52am

fatwombat wrote:
Oli wrote:
fatwombat wrote:
Oli wrote:
fatwombat wrote:But in this thread I wish I could think :exclaim:


It's always fun to quote someone out of context, isn't it? :thumbsup:


I don't know if it's fun, but it is certainly a good way to get more evidence for one's own point of view. And your point here is . . . ?
Can't you work it out? :eh:

Can't you work THAT out? Am I asking you a question?

Am I having fun yet? :D
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Sep/09 9:56am

shmoodiver wrote:humans are cheating natural selection by making safer cars and better medicines, let the weak and the stoopid die

So, shmoo, you'd consider the Americans bombing Afghan villages are inherently superior to their victims, the Germans really are superior to the Jews (who really are superior to the Palestinians), the people driving bigger "safer RVs are superior to the cyclists they kill - read http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 273324.stm, there is no doubt these women were "weak and stupid", you'd be on the side of the gang members who burnt them to death?
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Sep/09 9:57am

Oli wrote:Am I having fun yet? :D

I don't know, why don't you pull your head out of your arse so you can see.
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:03am

fatwombat wrote:
Oli wrote:Am I having fun yet? :D

I don't know, why don't you pull your head out of your arse so you can see.
Why don't you stop being so condescending then, you rude fellow? For what was supposed to be a hypothetical debate you're sure taking things pretty seriously.
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:08am

Anyway, I'll apologise if my slightly combative responses to your misuse of my words offended. I was really just bantering with no malicious intent, so sorry if I pissed you off. Cheers, Oli :)
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby phunk on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:15am

Oli wrote:Anyway, I'll apologise if my slightly combative responses to your misuse of my words offended. I was really just bantering with no malicious intent, so sorry if I pissed you off. Cheers, Oli :)

Never apologise! Never back down!! :D
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:19am

I feel compelled to when I'm wrong - I'm funny like that. :huh:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby phunk on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:20am

You are an odd man, but we still love you :love:
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby fatwombat on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:21am

Oli wrote:Anyway, I'll apologise if my slightly combative responses to your misuse of my words offended. I was really just bantering with no malicious intent, so sorry if I pissed you off. Cheers, Oli :)

Thank you for being so gracious, I wasn't offended by the misquote (believe it . . . or not!); I was getting frustrated by the banter, trying to figure out if you were upset with me because you felt I had misquoted you - I do truncate quotes sometimes, but I do it to highlight the bits I consider relevant, not with the intention of changing the meaning. I actually thought your rewriting of my words was quite amusing. But feel free not to do it on a regular basis!!! :D
fatwombat
User avatar
"Our planet is the mental institution of the universe. - Goethe"
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Re: Fewer Feet, Smaller Footprint

Postby Oli on Fri 25/Sep/09 10:24am

Good stuff, FW - onwards and upwards. :thumbsup:
Oli
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 2 months

International Politics | Politics | Sifting - Latest Posts

Who is online

57 Users browsing this website: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], michael, oldandlazy and 52 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles