Favourite Bitz Friday: Garmin Edge 500

Postby Rik on Tue 22/Sep/15 11:55am

Yeah its not Friday, but seeing as how we missed last Friday and Torpedo7 are doing a special this week. Here goes, so sorry for the delay.

There are various things that you need to have on a bike, like wheels, handlebars, etc. There are things that are highly advisable to have on a bike like brakes, multitools, etc. Then they are the things you just plain convince yourself you want on your bike. GPS units should sit firmly in the last category. For many years I ran a hand held GPS device on my bike, but as soon as I made the switch to a dedicated GPS unit on my bikes I have not looked back.

At their very basic level any GPS unit represent an all-in-one, easy to fit speedometer, reason enough to buy one. But the Garmin Edge 500 offers a lot more than that in functionality terms and is fantastic bang of buck.

What's cool about the unit?
It has a bewildering number of data-fields that can be added to a number of customisable screens.
It doesn't have maps, but it does allow you to load in a route with turn instructions, which to me if 95% of what maps offer anyway.
Virtual training partner is great fun for racing against yourself or pacing on longer rides.
Ant+ to connect to speed, cadence, heart and power sensors.

What's not so cool
The screen is hard to see on the move, when you have eight data-fields on the screen.
I did have to send my first unit back within a month when one of the buttons stopped working.

Physically the unit is very small, very aero (for those that care about such things). It's accurate, locates satellites pretty quickly.
After two years of ownership I found that the screen is pretty scratch proof and the battery still delivers 15 hours continuous use, down from a claimed 18 hours.

What I like about a dedicated GPS unit (as opposed to using your smartphone) is you can afford to run the battery dead, without having to worry about leaving enough battery to call in emergency services if the ride goes pear shaped.
I bought a package deal like below, so it came with heart-rate and cadence sensors. Which add a whole new dimension to your training/riding and worthy of their own discussion topic, we'll leave that for another day.

For anyone siting on the fence, undecided about taking the plunge into the GPS world, being able to review or even relive a ride from years ago thanks to GarminConnect,
Strava, etc. has brought me many a happy hour on the computer. I am absolutely addicted to mine, I even run it on the commuter bike. My little Edge 500 has crossed over from a biking want to a biking need.

Torpedo7 $299.99

If you are new Torpedo7 customer. If you PM me your email I'll even recommend you as a friend and forward you the $10 discount voucher.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: Favourite Bitz Friday:garmin Edge 500

Postby Sims on Tue 22/Sep/15 12:01pm

I have one, and love it to bits. I'm a data whore - Anything to make the commute for interesting :)
Sims
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Re: Favourite Bitz Friday: Garmin Edge 500

Postby Scotty on Tue 22/Sep/15 2:27pm

Hah! I was gonna go buy one of these this week!

As a matter of interest, has anyone used their for tracking running?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Rik on Tue 22/Sep/15 2:37pm

Scotty wrote:Hah! I was gonna go buy one of these this week!

No, but I did stick it in by daughters school bag once to see what route the school bus took out of idle curiosity :D - Is that too creepy? I did tell my daughter before hand

I also stick it in my pack when on the moto. Kinda messes up your PBs when you sync it though.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby slowMTB on Tue 22/Sep/15 4:24pm

Scotty wrote:Hah! I was gonna go buy one of these this week!

Funny you should say, I was thinking about strapping it to the track bike so I can verify how slow I am :lol:
My understanding is you have to tape / strap them securely to the seat post to minimise the possibility of it falling off :crazy:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby scatter on Tue 22/Sep/15 4:53pm

slowMTB wrote:Funny you should say, I was thinking about strapping it to the track bike so I can verify how slow I am :lol:
My understanding is you have to tape / strap them securely to the seat post to minimise the possibility of it falling off :crazy:

Just put it in your back pocket....
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Tue 22/Sep/15 5:53pm

If you turn off the GPS it makes a great temperature datalogger. Will run about 25 hrs. Good for monitoring the overnight temp in the baby's room, or temperature stability in the kegerator.
znomit

Postby slowMTB on Tue 22/Sep/15 6:42pm

scatter wrote:
slowMTB wrote:Funny you should say, I was thinking about strapping it to the track bike so I can verify how slow I am :lol:

:eh: , my T-shirt and boardies don't have a back pocket :blink:

And you think I am joking :blush:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 22/Sep/15 7:23pm

slowMTB wrote:
scatter wrote:

:eh: , my T-shirt and boardies don't have a back pocket :blink:

And you think I am joking :blush:

Technically you aren't even supposed to have them in a pocket on the track, or something. You definitely aren't allowed them where you can see them. You can get under-saddle mounts for them.

I'm gonna buy a 520 once I start proper training for CX next season, but I will make use of the strava segment wankery on the road and mtb I'm sure.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby RodArm on Tue 22/Sep/15 8:23pm

I have a 510 and used it (until recently as I now have a dedicated running watch also) for running as well as biking. I bought a strap for it to wear it on my wrist, but I also zip tied one of the handlebar mount disc things to the strap on my camel back which I liked better.
It is a bit bulky though.... and I couldn't work out how to get mins per km on it - otherwise everything else worked well.
RodArm
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 28/Sep/15 6:51am

Just got one as an early christmas present.

Now to learn how to drive it. :blink:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby wolffman1 on Mon 28/Sep/15 8:55am

I had my 500 for about 3 years or so till it died last year and I replaced it with a 510.
I'm still on the fence about which one I prefer but I think I'm leaning to the 510 for the smartphone sync and it's heaps easy to switch between multiple bikes.
The 500 is still pretty good and I wouldn't upgrade it if it hadn't died
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Computers + Heartrate Monitors - Latest Posts