Favourite Bits Friday: Shimano Xt M785 Disc Brake

Postby Scotty on Fri 21/Aug/15 2:42pm

Sometimes you just want something to fit to your bike and for it to work...

No dramas. No difficult fitment issues. Just purchase - receive - fit - RIDE.

To be fair, this FBF could apply to any shimano brake at Deore-level and above, but the XT’s are what I use and what works well for me. Shimano has disc brakes nailed, unlike a lot of other brands where you play russian roulette on the reliability front the Shimanos just work.

xt.png
Solid.

XT’s are the brake of choice for me for a few reasons:
  • Ever since I was a grom, XT has been ‘the’ groupset for me. A slight hint of bling without the XTR price tag, bang-for-buck it’s always been hard to beat.
  • Lever reach adjustment: for most people this is something you set-and-forget, I have a stuffed wrist and sometimes on long rides it gets sore and affect my grip strength, so dialing in the lever to compensate for this is really important to me.
  • They just work.

What’s even better these days is the cost, I remember when you had to pay $500 an end for something you had to bleed every couple of months or so.

I’ve been running my set for nearly two years and apart from the odd pad change and bleed I haven’t had to do much else, this is impressive given I’m a 120kg fattie with the self preservation instincts of a rabid lemming.

Negatives?

Once upon a time you’d get away with a couple of cheap squeezy bottles and some 4mm from the plastic-box shop. These days life can be a real pain in the ass if you don’t want mineral oil spilling everywhere and you don’t have this bit:

bleed.png
Not a sex toy.

You can still use the cheap squeezy bottle and tube, but pony up an extra six bucks and make your life easier, It’s a small annoyance, but still one all the same. Still easier than using a complex system of syringes, clips, levers, pulleys and chants to the braking gods.

In my experience best performance comes from using the matching ice-tech rotors, again not a major but it is something the average punter will notice.

Which brings us back to personal preference. Some people like their brakes to run like an on/off switch, others like a bit of modulation. I’m the latter. If that sounds like you, these brakes are hard to beat.

Torpedo7 - $249 per end
Wiggle - $147.60 per end
Chain Reaction Cycles - $109.99 per end
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 8 months

ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Re: Favourite Bits Friday: Shimano Xt M785 Disc Brake

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 21/Aug/15 3:32pm

heartily agree on this. Had some old 555 Deore brakes for 10 years, never bled, only ever replaced pads, and they ran faultlessly until i took them off my bike and put them on my son's bike where they're still running flawlessly. replaced them with these XTs and so far so good. full stopping reliability (for me, anyway)...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 21/Aug/15 4:25pm

Best performance/dinero indeed.
Have never needed any more brake than what these can provide.
Seem to be quite reliable and a doodle to bleed.

Shimano master race.

A++
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Conners on Fri 21/Aug/15 4:34pm

ryda wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Not liking Shimano brakes and not being able to correctly order at BK seem to be two things that you're on your own with?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 21/Aug/15 4:37pm

If you can't install and run Shimano brakes the problem ain't with the product, it's with you. ;)
Scotty

Postby ryda on Fri 21/Aug/15 4:42pm

Conners wrote:

Not liking Shimano brakes and not being able to correctly order at BK seem to be two things that you're on your own with?

Can't order waffle either... but If the OP wants I can send jam & cream :paranoid:
ryda
"WTF"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 21/Aug/15 5:09pm

Awesome brakes A++++++++++ I wish everything had the clams:performance ratio of these brakes.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 21/Aug/15 5:14pm

I came off Hayes Mags onto SLX. It was like night and day. Hayes stopped just fine, were pretty bullet proof and with aftermarket levers felt pretty good.
However the SLX were just better at everything, tiny perfectly shaped lever, a tonne of power, that seemed to just get stronger. I've got metal finned pads and the ice rotors. I can't honestly say if the ice rotors are any better, but they required no breaking in whatsoever. The only downside I can think of is that the brakes are little more sensitive to the kind of rotors. I had some Formula rotors originally, but was using Hayes rotors with the SLX. When I put the Formula rotors on they had no power, I think the braking track is very narrow on the Formula rotors.

I don't think I've ever out-braked them, having said that, there was only every one place I had a problem with Hayes, and that was when Treble Cone was open. My Formula C1's are distinctly average, very little power and need to be bled in order to place the lever where I wanted it.

Mind you, the Prime's seemed to feel pretty good that I tried last night.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 21/Aug/15 7:02pm

ryda wrote:
Conners wrote:

Can't order waffle either... but If the OP wants I can send jam & cream :paranoid:

Hope you've got lots, because judging by this thread you seem to be on the wrong side of the internet.

Again.

However, if you disagree, tell us why. ;)
Scotty

Postby Sims on Fri 21/Aug/15 7:21pm

SLX - same thing for less...
Sims
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 21/Aug/15 7:57pm

Not the same thing

xts have

ceramic pistons
no split pin in the caliper
levers are slightly different construction wise
bite point adjust (which is a bit useless)
Wobbler

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 21/Aug/15 7:59pm

Um..... have you guys ridden other modern brakes? Brakes with modulation? Brakes with actual power? And the whole reliability thing is s bit of a farce... I recommend bleeding with every pad change as they burn their oil pretty easily. The only plus imho is the bleeding.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Fri 21/Aug/15 8:00pm

Tell us of these better brakes
Wobbler

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 21/Aug/15 8:02pm

Elixir trails are a great brake, so are guides. Zee's have good modulation and power.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Brakes | Cycling | Disc Brakes - Latest Posts