Re: Favourite Bits Friday: Dakine Nomad Hydration Pack

Postby dwgknz on Sun 5th Nov 6:29pm

Moved from my fanny pack to a 76 Projects Piggy. Suits me perfectly and fits a 700ml bottle.

DFE464BE-8876-4C97-A67E-BA40B338CB9C.jpeg

Pretty slim kit these days:

BFD67002-4B36-4631-A217-682F8339D0E7.jpeg

- Pedro’s levers
- Topeak 20 tool (or sslt - has the awesome chain hook thing)
- 2x big CO2
- CO2 head thing
- Park tyre boots
- Park glue patches
- Spare link
- Lube

Also got a Backcountry Research Muthaload strap for tubes and pump on bigger rides and Stealth Hipster fanny pack (4x330ml cans) and Happy Sack seat bag (1 can) for beer and other essentials.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Sun 5th Nov 8:18pm

I've just put Saint brakes on, and all I can say was how good my old SLX M675s were. It's not to say the Saints aren't good, they are, but it really isn't a massive leap. Hopefully get a few more hours in on the new brakes, but it would be really interesting to try and test them back to back vs my old SLXs.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 5th Nov 10:19pm

mudguard wrote:I've just put Saint brakes on, and all I can say was how good my old SLX M675s were. It's not to say the Saints aren't good, they are, but it really isn't a massive leap. Hopefully get a few more hours in on the new brakes, but it would be really interesting to try and test them back to back vs my old SLXs.

I don't see the relevance to the thread, but I'm interested (Saint lust).
I like my 675s, I just need to get around to shortening the hoses.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 5th Nov 11:04pm

mudguard wrote:I've just put Saint brakes on, and all I can say was how good my old SLX M675s were. It's not to say the Saints aren't good, they are, but it really isn't a massive leap. Hopefully get a few more hours in on the new brakes, but it would be really interesting to try and test them back to back vs my old SLXs.

Wrong thread?
You'll probably find that the limit for the Saints are way higher than the SLXs.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby mudguard on Mon 6th Nov 7:57am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
mudguard wrote:I've just put Saint brakes on, and all I can say was how good my old SLX M675s were. It's not to say the Saints aren't good, they are, but it really isn't a massive leap.

I don't see the relevance to the thread, but I'm interested (Saint lust).
I like my 675s, I just need to get around to shortening the hoses.

Oops, had several tabs open and was meant to post in the Bike Mechanics thread. Mods feel free to split it off.

I wouldn't rush to change if you don't have to, I was mainly after the bling. I don't actually recall finding any limit on the SLXs. Not enough extreme riding :(
mudguard

Postby AgrAde on Mon 6th Nov 10:39am

I had the pleasure of running saints on a trail bike for about a month.

Apart from slightly better modulation they didn't feel too different from my XTRs or XTs until I actually needed their performance. As soon as they had to deal with heaps of energy they were far better. As soon as I needed more control in dodgy high speed heavy braking situations they were far better. As soon as my hands started to fatigue they were far better.

When I had to give that bike back I was really hard pressed not to take the zees off my DH bike and put them on my trail bike. Got used to the trail brakes again eventually but a set of zees still tempts me.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 6th Nov 10:48am

Considering that this is a hydration pack thread, is there anywhere to buy cheap camelbak stuff?

I want a hawg LR but the $300 rrp is really putting me off. The same thing marketed at walkers would be $150...
AgrAde

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 6th Nov 11:12am

When I bought the Palos I'd already selected what I wanted, so just googled around till I found a good deal.
Turned out to be a local site, but one I'd never heard of (and can't remember - useful).
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Conners on Mon 6th Nov 6:21pm

AgrAde wrote:Considering that this is a hydration pack thread, is there anywhere to buy cheap camelbak stuff?

I want a hawg LR but the $300 rrp is really putting me off. The same thing marketed at walkers would be $150...

Can vouch for CamelBak in terms of longevity though. I shelled out circa $200 for my HAWG in about 1997, and it’s still going strong. Obviously been through a few bladders, but the backpack is all good still.

And 200 1997 dollars must be about 300 2017 dollars...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby AgrAde on Mon 6th Nov 8:13pm

Oh yeah I know, I've already got two Camelbak packs and have no motivation to switch brands. I've had some good crashes on them and given them some good abuse and they're still top notch.

I'm just poor and have just found out I need a new helmet.
AgrAde

Postby mudguard on Mon 6th Nov 9:14pm

Doesn't putting in a UK address on Chainreaction bring up a few more brands? Obviously there's an extra cost using freight forwarding but Garmin and Camelbak appear...
mudguard

Postby philstar on Tue 7th Nov 7:31pm

Conners wrote:
AgrAde wrote:Considering that this is a hydration pack thread, is there anywhere to buy cheap camelbak stuff?

Can vouch for CamelBak in terms of longevity though. I shelled out circa $200 for my HAWG in about 1997, and it’s still going strong. Obviously been through a few bladders, but the backpack is all good still.

And 200 1997 dollars must be about 300 2017 dollars...

I have camelbacks, and they have lasted, but I do like Osprays magnetic hose retention friend has one and it works well
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Cycling | Cycling Clothing | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts