Re: "extreme" Sports Coverage In Mainstream Media

Postby petern on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:03pm

My feeling (completely unscientific of course) is that mainstream media either:
a) Don't understanding their target market/audience
b) Are trying to make trying to manipulate/brainwash their audience into accepting a subset of sports (e.g. rugby, cricket etc) so that they can consolidate their efforts onto a few sports rather than covering the full spectrum.

Also, I have this recollection of a study I read a while back that people engaging in extreme sports have higher disposable income that the average. But I am not sure if this is true or my brain playing tricks again !! However, if this is the case then the extreme sports people should be an attactive audience to attract to mainstream media so they have more potential advertising $$$ etc.
petern
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby radiusq on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:09pm

Trail wrote:DH you have to wait out each run to see if they beat each others time... Road you have them all racing for the line at the same time, and the suspense is building the whole time. You can see when someone falters, or finds that extra bit of power to surge. You can see peoples efforts relative to each other, rather than in isolation and i think this makes it exciting.

The DH'ers feats of skill and handling are impressive, and I do enjoy watching the top seeded guys runs.

If you could see all the DH mountain bikers overlayed on the same screen with their relative times (so you could see who was beating who in real time) would it be a more exciting sport to watch??

I think you are right, not being able to see racers directly against each other is a negative, and with a proper live production suite, editing like this would be possible, where near a split time the current fastest rider could be pitted against the live rider on screen -

Alas, freecaster and local TV companies that turn up to film World Cup DH events only usually have cameras to cover 30% of the course with bare basic editing hardware. It's chicken and egg type stuff. Coverage definitely could be made to be more exciting. More prize money, better facilities all round (training etc..) too would be great. There's just not enough money in the sport because not enough people watch it.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby pissface on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:13pm

radiusq wrote:Alas, freecaster and local TV companies that turn up to film World Cup DH events only usually have cameras to cover 30% of the course with bare basic editing hardware. It's chicken and egg type stuff. Coverage definitely could be made to be more exciting. More prize money, better facilities all round (training etc..) too would be great. There's just not enough money in the sport because not enough people watch it.

also maybe the issue that covering a DH event you have to be there the whole friggin day. and showing the finish on TV for say 4 riders they would have to show 4 consecutive clips, whereas showing the finish in a pack race it's one clip.

and DH'ers smell bad, too.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby phunk on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:15pm

My thoughts are "who cares", why would you want or expect fringe sports to be covered in the mainstream media?

want: because I like to see coverage, expect: not really, but when NZ has world champions / medal winners / etc in Olympic sports [S. Walker] why is footage not purchased and shown?

This thread is not a whinge (from me, you can if you like) rather a query as to why, and a none-too-subtle search for info for a paper.

continue... :)

Why: because generally not enough people are interested in it to use up valuable time that could be used for other stuff. They do occasionally show snippets of things like Sarah Walker and some DH results, but mainstream TV programming is for selling ads to advertisers based on things the braindead masses want to watch.

If you want coverage of fringe events there are plenty of places on the interweb that have that.
Last edited by phunk on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
phunk
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby slimdog on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:16pm

wuffy wrote:

Anyone know how much coverage there is overseas? Like Whistler etc? I imagine they'd have a lot (Being whistler and all), you could compare the two and then analyse the different social profiles from here and Whistler (example) that lead to the different types of shows they put on, and what appeals to different audiences?

There is not much coverage done on major networks on mtb in north america. Canada is better at it than the states though. You usually can find some DH or cross country on Canadian networks every once and a while. As for Whistler they do have there own cable channel but it doesn't have much money so the the shows on it are more community orientated.

Not sure how the coverage is in europe but I would bet its way bigger than the rest of the world.
slimdog
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby Carl_Ed on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:20pm

All i see when watching road racing is a bunch of lycra clad riders riding in a big group. Very boring.
The coverage of the mountain bike world champs in 06 was crap.
Carl_Ed
"Captain slow"
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:22pm

Carl_Ed wrote:All i see when watching road racing is a bunch of lycra clad riders riding in a big group. Very boring.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean IT'S stupid... :D
Oli
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby pissface on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:27pm

Oli wrote:
Carl_Ed wrote:All i see when watching road racing is a bunch of lycra clad riders riding in a big group. Very boring.

i find it boring too!

doesn't mean I dont understand it. :) i just think it's fucking boring.
pissface
"Boneshaker"
Member for: 16 years 5 months

Postby HarryPlatt on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:42pm

To have coverage of downhill you would need to be creative. The key to selling any sport on TV is its presentation. I can watch stages of Tour De France but not the Tour Of Southland. The presentation of TS is average. The commentators were terrible, It didn't seem interesting. To make DH more interesting than just some guys riding really fast down a steep hill one after the other (which to the average joe-blow would get boring pretty quick) you'd need to make it more interesting by showing things like telementary. And if there is one thing that people will watch over and over again it is crashes. People love it. Slow-mo replays etc.

One thing I always ask myself is what is so interesting about watching indy or nascar?

Anyone see that insane crash at the brickyard, Whoah!
HarryPlatt
"http://hpsauce555.blogspot.co.nz/"
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby RussS on Tue 1/Jun/10 5:55pm

Basically, it is not Rugby & Cricket - or to a lesser extent League, Soccer of Netball.
Quite frankly, I am surprised that we get as much coverage as we do - mainly due to the head in the sand attitude of most sports journalists. They say they cover what their readers/viewers/listeners want - unfortunately those wants are based on a vocal segment of the population. Hell, just listen to radio talkback - they have a segment on say Athletics and unless the host and producer are on to it the callers will start to talk All Black selection or some other shit.
RussS
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby Oli on Tue 1/Jun/10 7:31pm

pissface wrote:
Oli wrote:

i find it boring too!

doesn't mean I dont understand it. :) i just think it's fucking boring.
To me that means you can't understand it - you're clearly missing the nuances that make it so awesome to watch. :)

Saying that though, I have fallen asleep during a few interminably boring flat stages myself. :blush:
Oli
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Joel on Tue 1/Jun/10 8:08pm

i fell asleep during replay of couple of flat ToC stages :D but that last stage was some absolutely awesome racing that made the entire race worthwhile.
Joel
"Style over speed"
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby slidecontrol on Tue 1/Jun/10 8:15pm

dh coverage would be dead boring, riders going down a hill one at a time?

make them start in a bunch and race down the hill that way? :sly:
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby its that guy on Tue 1/Jun/10 8:26pm

I think DH on tv would kinda be like wrc to watch. I enjoy watching wrc.
its that guy
"Lurkin"
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby thelivo on Tue 1/Jun/10 8:56pm

slidecontrol wrote:dh coverage would be dead boring, riders going down a hill one at a time?

make them start in a bunch and race down the hill that way? :sly:

I've seen ski races like that - awesome fun! We arent talking 4x here, this was 60 people all trying to take the fastest route down the mountain. Made for some epic crashes.
thelivo
"Jens Voigt's Suitcase of Courage will not fit in the overhead compartment."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Sifting | Skiing | Snow | Television - Latest Posts