Am I Expecting Too Much From A Trailstar

Postby tricky on Tue 26/Oct/10 5:17pm

Just noticed a hairline crack forming at the headtube gusset weld on my 18" DMR Trailstar.

frame-welding-christchurch-t109387.html

Only been riding it a month or so, picked up the frame in near new condition off Trademe to build up as a all-round DJ/Freeride Lite/hack-about play bike. Fairly sure that it's me thats damaged it, have come up short on one or two jumps and I'm not a lightweight.

Went for the Trailstar rather than a DJ specific frame as I'm 6'3" and wanted something that was "somewhat" peddlable, but still suitable for a bit of airtime & abuse. But now I'm wondering; am I expecting a bit much from a Trailstar and need to be looking at a frame with a bit more metal in it (Exalt, BFe, Chromag etc. etc.), or should I just get it welded and continue with my current program of abuse.

Running a 5" Bomber up front, so doubt it's due to excessive fork length

cheers

Tricky
tricky
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Am I Expecting Too Much From A Trailstar

Postby kona.stinky. on Tue 26/Oct/10 5:24pm

The trailstar is what the name implies... A trail bike, it could handle some rough trails, but not often, otherwise it would be called another name, unfortunately it's not a DH bike. If you want a DJ bike that can handle peddling, get a STP, they have a reasonably high stand over hight for a DJ bike
kona.stinky.
"Si"
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Postby j2hyde on Tue 26/Oct/10 5:49pm

Trailstars are a pretty tough frame, but it looks like you might be tougher. Don't muck around go get a new, stronger frame. Those BeFe's are surprisingly capable as a trail bike you'd still be able to pedal one around OK. I don't know about the others you mention, though they both have a good rep.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby duzall on Tue 26/Oct/10 6:52pm

The BFe pedals pretty well-and seems to be a very strong frame. I would say buy my one-but it's a small. It was fine for me (I'm about 6' tall) though
duzall
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby speeding_ant on Tue 26/Oct/10 8:30pm

Hmm. I rode my TrailStar like crazy, but I had the smaller frame.

I suspect larger frames are weaker, and then add the additional weight of the larger rider and you've got a bike that might not handle as much jandle.

But I actually have no idea.

:exclaim:
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Tue 26/Oct/10 9:14pm

kona.stinky. wrote:The trailstar is what the name implies... A trail bike, it could handle some rough trails, but not often, otherwise it would be called another name, unfortunately it's not a DH bike. If you want a DJ bike that can handle peddling, get a STP, they have a reasonably high stand over hight for a DJ bike

ah i think you might find that a trailstar is built as a 4x/bsx bike, a second hand frame you can never tell just how much abuse it's been through and casing a jump will stress any frame...
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 27/Oct/10 11:02am

2 foot Keewee jump frame on sale on a 'certain' website for $150 bucks. check it out. jeeez, would be fun just to get for a little 26 or 24inch bmx funjobbage...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby PhilterNZ on Wed 27/Oct/10 12:28pm

I thought the Trailstar was designed for a 4 inch fork ?

maybe that was just the older models - i think mine is a 2001, never had any issues, but i only ride mine as a trailbike.
PhilterNZ
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby j2hyde on Wed 27/Oct/10 12:39pm

You're allowed to say torpedo 7 you know.
j2hyde
"I'm not for that. I'm for the ladies."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby cruiser on Wed 27/Oct/10 12:57pm

Show some decorum :hmmm:
cruiser
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 27/Oct/10 10:57pm

right here bro
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling/Parts-accessories/Forks-frames-shocks/auction-326306267.htm

BFe, size small... tho, you said you're 6 ft. might be okay tho...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby tricky on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:08am

swtchbckr wrote:right here bro
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling/Parts-accessories/Forks-frames-shocks/auction-326306267.htm

BFe, size small... tho, you said you're 6 ft. might be okay tho...

Yeah, I've been lurking on Trademe following BFe auctions for a year or more now, however it was someone else that was 6', I'm 6'3" and would more keen on their 17.5 Med frame.

Have set up my Trailstar SS and appreciating their horiz. dropout option, unfortunately the BFe doesn't have this.
tricky
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:23am

ah, right. i'm 6'1" and ride a size L Soul, its the perfect size for me, so i'd consider an L BFe. the M might just be too small. I find the 18inch Switchbacks just right as flickable bikes, (the 16's waaaay too small tho)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"

Postby speeding_ant on Thu 28/Oct/10 9:43am

How cheap is it to actually repair Chromoly anyway? Not including a new paint job I guess.

I thought steel was real :rolleyes: Repair and keep riding it!
speeding_ant
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby philstar on Thu 28/Oct/10 11:46am

speeding_ant wrote:How cheap is it to actually repair Chromoly anyway? Not including a new paint job I guess.

I thought steel was real :rolleyes: Repair and keep riding it!

it cost me arround $170 to get the top of my seat tube sleaved and brazed on my switchback, and about $100 for powdercoating.

but that is not a structual as a head tube ( but also thinner which makes it harder)
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Cycling | Dirt Jumping (MTB) | Freeriding (MTB) | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts