Everesting

Postby mfw on Sat 23/Aug/14 9:18pm

The recent phenomenon of Everesting has been getting more widespread publicity recently, but one of our own vorbii XCguy has been in secret training for a while, and just knocked the b*stard off today, on Major Aitken drive in the Christchurch Port hills. At 12 hours 19 mins it puts him in 8th place worldwide - awesome effort Craig!

For the uninitiated it is doing hill repeats on the same hill until you have climbed 8848 metres vertical, must be done continuously apart from feed stops etc. Specific rules apply.
http://www.everesting.cc/

Also thanks to noel_whiteside and Trees who were out there supporting him today :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
http://www.strava.com/activities/184051080
Last edited by mfw on Thu 12/Mar/15 9:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Re: Everesting - First Vorber Just Nailed One!

Postby happybaboon on Sat 23/Aug/14 9:30pm

Yowch! That's a lot of climbing.
Congratulations.

Also

"Most efficient Everesting.
The least distance ridden to complete an Everest.

Rider: Damian Richmond
Route: Lyrebird Track, Ferntree Gully, VIC, Australia
Distance: 95.6km
Average gradient of climb: 18.60%"
Woah
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby znomit on Sat 23/Aug/14 9:31pm

:o :thumbsup: :crazy:

Well done.

Raising the bar on crazy riding.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Rik on Sat 23/Aug/14 10:04pm

We where talking about this today out on a ride. I think the very effort of Everesting in nigh on impossible.

That is a super awesome effort XC
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Farm on Sat 23/Aug/14 10:06pm

That's extremely impressive well done XC and supporters.
:thumbsup:
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 23/Aug/14 10:52pm

I guess you'd want like a 6-7% steady climb. And like 48 hours.
Woah. Imagine how sore/numb your taint would be.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby trancemaster on Sun 24/Aug/14 12:29pm

... skiied the everest descent, 3 hours @ TC
trancemaster
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby XCguy on Sun 24/Aug/14 2:18pm

Thanks everyone! For those interested, here is a wee report I just posted on Facebook...

Yesterday I achieved a personal challenge that I have been working my way towards for the past two months. It was by far the hardest day I have ever spent on a bike. Yet, surprising, today I am feeling really good which I find quite bizarre! I found out about Everesting two months back when I came across an article (http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/05/mt-everest-in-a-day/) which I linked to on Facebook at the time. It is a report about the very first Everesting attempt in the world. I was very inspired by that and started looking into Everesting a lot more. The official website is www.everesting.cc and so far there have been 155 successful Everests completed world-wide. I have always been inspired by people like George Mallory, Ollie Whalley, Craig Phillips etc who take on big personal challenges. But was I capable of doing this, or was I just dreaming? I set out to find out.

From this point on I had fantastic support from Martin Nichols who I used as a sounding board with almost daily emails discussing every aspect of Everesting. Martin, I so appreciate all your advice and support during this time. I mapped out dozens of rides around the Port Hills and Banks Peninsula to check their average and maximum gradients and then rode many of the best potential Everesting candidates during the coming weeks. Major Aitken was one of the first hills I thought of and I just kept coming back to it over and over again as no other hill had what it provided. After deciding that was to be my climb I set out and rode 2300m up there one day, then 3000m 4 days later, then shortly after I did a 4600m ride. I made some slight modifications to the course start and end points, changed the gearing on my bike so I didn’t blow my knees apart and then waited for the right day.

Prior to all of this the biggest ride I had ever done was around 2500m so even my training rides were getting into unknown territory. I am very much a hot fair weather summer rider so who would have thought I’d end up choosing a cold cloudy drizzly winter’s day to undertake the biggest ride of my life! But it all worked out in the end. From my 4600m ride I calculated that I should be able to complete the challenge in around 12.5 hours to 15 hours. 12 5 hours would put me in the top 10 in the world so I figured it is more realistically going to be at the 15 hour end, especially when you consider that many successful Everesters are superhero Ironman athletes and the like.

I headed out on my first lap at around 6:30 am and rode by myself for most of the morning. Immediately I had issues with my chain and on lap 4 I realised that the chain was broken and only just holding on by one of the side plates. I stopped and carried out some repairs which took a bit of ingenuity as I didn’t have the most ideal tools for the job. But the repairs seemed to work and I had a smooth quiet chain (albeit too short) for the rest of the ride. The first third of the ride went pretty smoothly and I was in a positive mind-set, despite my body starting to feel fatigued by lap 15. But then at around lap 30 my whole body started complaining so much I had seriously doubts about seeing the day out. I had others around me by that stage who gave lots of positive support which helped immensely. For the afternoon I ended up having a heap of people riding laps with me and I went through a stage where I felt like I might just be able to get there after all. As the day went on more and more people went home and I was riding solo again. At 7000m I was considering how huge a number that was for me to do in a single ride and how close I was to the end, then I realised that the 1900m remaining was actually more than what I would do in a big weekend hill ride and I was still looking at close to three hours to knock that 1900m off! I plodded on and on and let the laps tick over. Despite the end being so agonisingly close, with 7 laps to go the difficulty of knocking off the laps increased significantly as my whole body started screaming at me to stop. There was no way I was going to give up now, not this close! And from that point on the laps just got harder and harder. When I turned with 4 to go I was at my lowest point of the day. My daughter Jennifer who had already ridden laps with me at various stages of the day, got changed and rode the last three laps with me which was awesome! She is a wee gem. On the second to last lap my knees screamed too much to stand and my butt hurt too much to sit, so it was a real challenge. Then I turned with one to go (the 65th lap) and Rebekah and all the supporters who were still there waiting patiently on the cold dark roadside said they were going to drive alongside me for the last lap. That and the fact that it was the final lap somehow managed to remove all the pain and I ended up doing the fastest lap since lap 29! Half way up that last climb I was counting down the altitude on the GPS and when it clicked over to 8848m I jubilantly raised both hands in the air and looked up to see a parked van directly in front of me! With quick evasive action I dodged that and carried on to the top to complete my final lap and get in a few bonus metres. With a few hugs and photos the day was over, the summit of Everest was reached, and I descended for the final time. Total ride time was just under 11 hours and total elapsed time just over 12 hours, putting me unofficially in the top 10 on the Everesting Hall of Fame.

That was a seriously hard day and one that even my stubborn willpower almost didn’t get me though. I want at this stage to thank all those of you who came out to support me. It was fantastic having people like my daughter Jennifer, Craig Oliver, Craig Phillips, Noel and Teresa Whiteside, Findley Watt, Mike Stringer and Graham Allan ride laps with me, some of whom rode at least 8. Then there was all the people who came at some stage throughout the day to support me like my darling wife Rebekah and son Joel, my Mum, Gordon and his kids Ella, Keegan and Corban (who all stayed right to the end), Mike Grabner, Glenn Jarrett, Richard and Michelle, Kelly Clark, Russell Harrison-Kirk and Al Sladen. And even the lady whose house I was based outside who brought hot drink ingredients out to support the supporters. You guys all rock and your ongoing cheering etc helped me no end to complete this personal challenge. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
XCguy
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby jo on Sun 24/Aug/14 2:23pm

Congrats XCGuy! Epic!
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby wachtourak on Sun 24/Aug/14 3:25pm

What a loose unit :thumbsup:
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby sifter on Sun 24/Aug/14 3:32pm

Nice work. And thanks for the story!
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby murphyflair on Sun 24/Aug/14 4:30pm

Nice one :thumbsup:
murphyflair
User avatarMedal
Member for: 8 years 0 months

Postby Colin on Sun 24/Aug/14 4:34pm

Nuts. Well done.
Colin
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Sun 24/Aug/14 4:37pm

Now you are into in and trained up Craig what about Rapaki or Worsleys :-)
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Sun 24/Aug/14 4:40pm

Hmmm, least efficient is 460km and about 30 hrs. Hmmmmmmmmmm.
znomit

Cycling | News | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts