Re: Everesting - First Vorber Just Nailed One!

Postby XCguy on Mon 6/Oct/14 3:29pm

Sickman wrote:I would be keen to take up the challenge but sadly I do not think Perth has any steep enough hills :sly:

Campersic Road. 237 m over 3.7 km, 6.3% grade, 38 laps. There you go, no excuses now :p
XCguy
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Thu 12/Mar/15 3:25pm

*bump* :huh:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby pushbikerider on Thu 12/Mar/15 7:30pm

mfw wrote:*bump* :huh:

I'm sure you've got some great climbs in Nelson, you should have a crack Martin :sly:
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Thu 12/Mar/15 9:56pm

Yeah, it's time to come out of the closet I guess, I took the roadie out for a couple of hill rides recently, then on Monday night did a test on my target climb https://www.strava.com/activities/265443471 60 laps and 4166 metres in 9 hours, that included a lot of stoppage time as I did it in 'the hood' and had lots of people interested in what I was doing.

This time next week I will be attempting the big one, 130 laps or so, starting 2pm on Thursday and estimated finishing 12pm midday Friday 22 hours later, but anything could happen!

I really don't know why I'm doing it as I cannot think of much pleasant about it at all, but the challenge has been gnawing away in the back of my mind so I guess I've got to find out one way or another :hmmm:
But I am using it as a fundraising vehicle for the local girl guides.
Last edited by mfw on Thu 12/Mar/15 10:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfw

Postby Farm on Thu 12/Mar/15 9:58pm

Good luck MFW. I hope it goes well.
Farm
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby EoinC on Thu 12/Mar/15 11:45pm

XCguy wrote:
Sickman wrote:I would be keen to take up the challenge but sadly I do not think Perth has any steep enough hills :sly:

Campersic Road. 237 m over 3.7 km, 6.3% grade, 38 laps. There you go, no excuses now :p

Indeed. I scored last place in a hillclimb up Campersic a few years ago. My only excuse was that I was riding my track bike with a 76" gear. the only thing that kept me going was that I was moving too slow to be able to unclip.
EoinC
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Everesting

Postby AgrAde on Fri 13/Mar/15 1:10am

I'm not fit enough to do an everest, but I don't see anything wrong with just going for a mt cook. Is that a thing?
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby pushbikerider on Fri 13/Mar/15 6:53am

mfw wrote:This time next week I will be attempting the big one, 130 laps or so, starting 2pm on Thursday and estimated finishing 12pm midday Friday 22 hours later, but anything could happen!.

Nice one, I hope that it all goes to plan. Take it easy on that knee
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 16 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Fri 13/Mar/15 7:31am

pushbikerider wrote:
mfw wrote:This time next week I will be attempting the big one, 130 laps or so, starting 2pm on Thursday and estimated finishing 12pm midday Friday 22 hours later, but anything could happen!.

Nice one, I hope that it all goes to plan. Take it easy on that knee

Tks, I've been seeing a physio the last few weeks and got the all clear ;)
mfw

Postby znomit on Fri 13/Mar/15 8:38am

mfw wrote:But I am using it as a fundraising vehicle for the local girl guides.

How many biscuits per climb?

Ps I would start early and plan to finish before 3am. Because riding through the wee hours when shagged sucks.
znomit
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Zoom on Fri 13/Mar/15 8:58am

Good Luck and have fun!

Can I make a suggest around your start time? In my experience an early start ie 4am is a good idea. You are then likely riding by yourself when you are fresh and least need the support. Riding through the night, on your own (unless your friends are amazing!), will be tough, and will really slow you down. You will also need people to feed you, if you don't you will waste a heap of time not moving, and believe me this adds up.

Also, take two measuring devices, mine broke (would you believe!), so a back up was essential
Zoom
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Fri 13/Mar/15 9:11am

znomit wrote:
mfw wrote:But I am using it as a fundraising vehicle for the local girl guides.

How many biscuits per climb?

Ps I would start early and plan to finish before 3am. Because riding through the wee hours when shagged sucks.

Biscuits? LOL. Reminds me of the 64 museli bars I had taped to my bike frame for the Petite Brevet a few years back...

I was planning to start at 2am-ish, and finish at midnight, until I read about the cyclists 'death zone' (7000m plus) and worked out that I'd be riding the death zone, in the dark late at night, with 30 or so hours sleep deprivation. So the 2pm start is a compromise, hitting the death zone at first light.
mfw

Postby trancemaster on Fri 13/Mar/15 9:31am

i heard the gauntlet has already been thrown down for real mountain bike everesting : 8 x on Mount Te Aroha ...
trancemaster
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Fri 13/Mar/15 4:29pm

trancemaster wrote:i heard the gauntlet has already been thrown down for real mountain bike everesting : 8 x on Mount Te Aroha ...

Not for a second do I want to diminish the "Unbelievable" achievement any Everest attempt is but I can't help but feel that an off-road attempt is more "Real". I mean could you imagine it if somebody put a road in to the summit of the real Everest.

Anyway MFW, best of luck with your attempt. I'm cheering for you :thumbsup:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby weetbicks on Fri 13/Mar/15 8:22pm

Here's an off-road everest done at Remarkables earlier in the year - http://app.strava.com/activities/231763060

... oh and here's mine hehe http://app.strava.com/activities/214327281 . One a year is enough for me, but already got next summer's one lined up, careful mfw, one is never enough :)
weetbicks
Member for: 6 years 0 months

Cycling | News | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts