Re: Everesting - First Vorber Just Nailed One!

Postby mfw on Tue 26/Aug/14 8:11am

noel_whiteside wrote:She was making noises about it yesterday.
The worst thing was she was talking about us both doing it together and trying to be the first husband and wife to complete it (we haven't even checked to see if another husband and wife have done it).
The biggest problem with her plan is, I don't think I could do it. I've struggled so much at the 12 hours I've done. To put a whole lot of climbing in it as well would be way to hard.

Excellent! What a great idea. What about a couples tandem attempt, or the old http://www.bicyclebungee.com/ ?
What is your target time, I was thinking sub 20 hours as an optimistic target, sub 24 hours realistic.

A stupid part of me was considering going for an attempt with 'no' training. I remember reading an entertaining blog by a guy who did L'Etape with no training - it was an entertaining read! Having read XCguy's account though I am now having second thoughts about that idea.

sifter wrote:A whole lot is quite an understatement!

Hey sifter, you are one of the few guys with credentials for this sort of thing, does your posting indicate an expression of interest? :p
How about you and Simon on the tandem? Now that would be something! :thumbsup:
mfw
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 26/Aug/14 8:28am

You don't have to do it in one hit though, i was thinking you could park a caravan at the bottom of the hill, then every 3 hours or so you can have a nice sit/laydown and a refreshing cuppa, even a nap.
does it really matter if it takes 24 hours?
Trainings a waste just go and do it, if you complete = legend if you fail - just keep it quiet and no one will know :-0
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Tue 26/Aug/14 9:27am

RHR_Rob wrote:You don't have to do it in one hit though, i was thinking you could park a caravan at the bottom of the hill, then every 3 hours or so you can have a nice sit/laydown and a refreshing cuppa, even a nap.

Sleeping outside the rules:
Everesting wrote:- It does not matter how long the ride takes, but it must be ridden in one attempt (i.e. no sleeping in between). Breaks for meals etc. are fine.

http://www.everesting.cc/the-rules/

RHR_Rob wrote:does it really matter if it takes 24 hours?
Trainings a waste just go and do it, if you complete = legend if you fail - just keep it quiet and no one will know :-0

24 hour is fine, one dude took 30.
LOL :) Only problem is if no one know you get no support riders :rolleyes:
mfw

Postby noel_whiteside on Tue 26/Aug/14 10:25am

I think the rules say no tandems.
I'd have to do it in less than 24 hours. I don't think I could stay awake that long. I'm way to old, it must be near 20 years since I've been awake for 24 hours.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Mon 29/Sep/14 8:01am

He's at it again today.

More Everesting madness!

Right folks, it's time for number two. The first one 5 weeks ago showed me I was capable of doing it. Just! This second one is solely to go for a faster time. As such, stopping time will be kept to an absolute minimum. After considering lots of different climbs and talking to an experienced Everester, I am going to be riding the Strava segment called "Lactic Factory" on Morgans Valley Rd in Heathcote Valley. It is a steep one. Climbs 40 m over a distance of just 250 m so about 15-16%. Being so short, I will need to do a staggering 222 reps! It will be a real test for my knees and I will need to pretend I have legs of steel for this one as it is going to be rather hard.

So, this MONDAY (29th) that's where I will be. Being a steeper climb I don't expect many people to come out and ride, especially with it being a work day, but I am just letting you all know so that should you want to at some stage then you'd be very welcome, even if it is just to hang out with Rebekah at the bottom. Being the school holidays, my chief support crew will hopefully be there for a fair bit in the afternoon. I would look at starting probably around 7:30am and all going well will finish 10-11 hours later.

If I am successful then I have two other ones planned for the coming months to complete the SSSS challenge, but they will not be in ChCh.

To be honest, this one is making me a little nervous. If I pull the pin then I will try to let you know as soon as I can.

Might see some of you there.

Cheers
Craig
noel_whiteside
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 29/Sep/14 8:23pm

That's insane. Probably you'll have the fastest turnaround time between everests if you complete it? :thumbsup:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby Al_Bushman on Mon 29/Sep/14 10:05pm

I rode with him for the last 14 or so laps when he had broken the record - but was doing a few more to make sure as his Garmin wasn't reading correctly - apparently -4m each lap - so he wasn't going to stop till his Garmin read 8848m. The top to botto9m height was 40m but the Garmin was only picking up 36m due to the lag when he does the turnaround.

He was suffering quite badly but still going strong for someone having done 230+ laps!
Al_Bushman
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Mon 29/Sep/14 11:04pm

People up that street must have wondered who the nutter was!
daddy why does that man keep riding past?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby mfw on Tue 30/Sep/14 10:51am

We have a new world record - Craig not only broke it but smashed it out of the park, with a time of 9h01m20s - over an hour off the record! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Strava wrote:Everesting the lactic factory segment of the stunning Morgans Valley in Christchurch. Man, that was by far the hardest physical challenge I have ever encountered! Madness, but so so stoked to have gone under the record. 40 m x 222 laps = 8888 m

Facebook wrote:Yesterday I successfully completed my second Everesting. It was way harder than the first one due to the chosen climb being steeper and riding it at a faster pace. After the first one 5 weeks back I was encouraged to look at doing a rapid ascent to try for the record. So I hunted out what I thought was the best hill for me and then waited for the right day. That ride was so incredibly hard but I managed to just stay in there to the end and was ecstatic to achieve what I set out to do. 8848 m in 9 hours, an hour faster than my goal. Thanks so much for all those who provided encouragement throughout the day. It may not show up on the ‪#‎Everesting‬ site for a couple of days.
Last edited by mfw on Wed 1/Oct/14 3:44am, edited 1 time in total.
mfw

Postby znomit on Tue 30/Sep/14 10:56am

:o :crazy: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
znomit
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Colin on Tue 30/Sep/14 11:39am

Nuts

Respect
Colin
Member for: 16 years 2 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 30/Sep/14 11:50am

:o
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 17 years 6 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 30/Sep/14 12:33pm

Colin wrote:Nuts

Respect

:baaa:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby Farm on Tue 30/Sep/14 12:51pm

Well done. That's really impressive and slightly mental, (I like slightly mental).
:thumbsup:
Farm
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Postby weetbicks on Tue 30/Sep/14 1:19pm

Massive respect, Morgans is a tough climb, let alone 230 times ! I only just completed my first 5 laps of it (jaws) and that was tough enough, no idea how anyone could do that for 230, flabberghasted! Hats off to you sir!
weetbicks
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Cycling | News | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts