Re: Everesting

Postby mfw on Mon 23/Mar/15 11:08am

Here's a (cringeworthy) interview with me at the 20 hour (brain dead) mark, but it has some nice riding shots.
Oh, and there's a nice shot of my breakfast remains (McD's, V and Toffee pops) LOL.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/news ... -challenge
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Mon 23/Mar/15 12:00pm

Damn you all - You know you've planted the seed now, don't you.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby pedalingkiwi on Mon 23/Mar/15 1:00pm

awesome effort Martin - very inspiring.
pedalingkiwi
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby noel_whiteside on Tue 24/Mar/15 7:36am

Do it, you know you want to.

Rik wrote:Damn you all - You know you've planted the seed now, don't you.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Tue 24/Mar/15 7:44am

noel_whiteside wrote:Do it, you know you want to.

Oh yeah I want to alright, but there a big difference between 'want' and 'can't', about 4,848m by my reckoning.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby mfw on Wed 1/Apr/15 8:35am

_Alden Williams Nelson Mail.jpg

I've put some pictures and words together from my big ride http://mtbmartin.blogspot.co.nz/2015/03 ... kyard.html

Right then, I'm sure XCguy, who has the highest credentials (sic), will be happy to coach you. But I will also be happy to interject from a D-Graders perspective :D
Are you thinking of Springtime?
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby jo on Mon 29/Jun/15 4:11pm

jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby weetbicks on Sat 4/Jul/15 9:44pm

good stuff!
weetbicks
Member for: 5 years 0 months

Postby MadAndrew on Sun 18/Oct/15 4:53pm

I wonder how many people have done this in the Wellington region. I did one of the Maungakotukutuku hill (Paraparaumu) last weekend and, while riding, came across Bryce Lorcet who'd recently done the Akatarawa Rd (west-side) with a couple of mates fairly recently. We're dime a dozen! ;)

Anyway, here's my account of my ride:

http://andrewendurancecycling.blogspot.co.nz/2015/10/everest.html
MadAndrew
Member for: 5 years 11 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Tue 20/Oct/15 1:06pm

My plan is to sit in a garden bar, turn on strava using a phone GPS and wait until accumulated elevation errors reach 8848m.
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Tue 20/Oct/15 1:12pm

Derryn Hinch wrote:My plan is to sit in a garden bar, turn on strava using a phone GPS and wait until accumulated elevation errors reach 8848m.

That'll take 3 months - Thats some dedication.
Rik

Postby znomit on Tue 20/Oct/15 1:53pm

Rik wrote:
Derryn Hinch wrote:My plan is to sit in a garden bar, turn on strava using a phone GPS and wait until accumulated elevation errors reach 8848m.

Ride the escalators at the mall?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Derryn Hinch on Tue 20/Oct/15 2:17pm

Rik wrote:

I've been training all my life
Derryn Hinch
User avatarMedal
"....... but I never called her fat!!!"
Member for: 8 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Tue 20/Oct/15 3:07pm

It's funny you should say that, but one of my support crew happened to look at my Edge 500 during one of my rest stops while Everesting, it was a bit gusty and she noticed altitude accumulation on the display while stationary!

We laughed and joked about it at the time, but it also gave me a mini panic attack thinking that these 'free' metres might invalidate my attempt, or that a minimal 8848m showing on the device might get lowered by Strava post processing if it got smart. One of the reasons I bagged significantly over the required amount on the day just in case!

It was a borrowed unit I only used on the day so I have no more evidence on this effect. Maybe not a big surprise using a barometric sensor, but I would have thought Garmin would have protected the sensor against wind effects, given that cycling is a windy pursuit!?
mfw
User avatarMedal

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Tue 20/Oct/15 3:13pm

MadAndrew wrote:I wonder how many people have done this in the Wellington region. I did one of the Maungakotukutuku hill (Paraparaumu) last weekend and, while riding, came across Bryce Lorcet who'd recently done the Akatarawa Rd (west-side) with a couple of mates fairly recently. We're dime a dozen! ;)

Anyway, here's my account of my ride:

http://andrewendurancecycling.blogspot.co.nz/2015/10/everest.html

Brilliant effort / achievement :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Cycling | News | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts