Everest - Join The Queue

Postby Tugboat on Mon 17/Sep/12 8:46pm

Outside magazine has just published a fantastic article Take a number that looks at how the rampant commercialism is killing people and ruining the mountain. What used to be an ultimate challenge is nothing more than a commodity provided the risks are managed.


Image


Hillary Step, just below the summit...
Image


I've often romanticised about the challenge of climbing Everest and the solitude of being on the summit.... clearly that notion is nowhere near the reality but I never thought the queues would be this bad!!! Hillary and Norgay would be turning in their graves if they saw the mountain this way.
Tugboat
User avatar
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 17/Sep/12 9:03pm

Wow!


That is not even tempting, stick to the southern alps and solitude...
Velocipedestrian
User avatar
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby Mickyfinn on Mon 17/Sep/12 9:19pm

reminds me of oxford circus
Mickyfinn
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby Wobbler on Mon 17/Sep/12 9:20pm

I wonder how long before someone makes a porno up there
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby nostromo on Mon 17/Sep/12 11:48pm

Hmm noticed this on there
http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdo ... a-21k.html
Holy crap. Not sure whether its a good idea for kids to be doing that but thats fast half marathon for any age.
nostromo
User avatar
":-("
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby cruiser on Tue 18/Sep/12 12:36am

not that quick for a top 12yr old, prob coz she doing long races every week :crazy:
cruiser
User avatar
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby sifter on Tue 18/Sep/12 8:34am

nostromo wrote:Hmm noticed this on there
http://www.outsideonline.com/blog/outdo ... a-21k.html
Holy crap. Not sure whether its a good idea for kids to be doing that but thats fast half marathon for any age.

And linked from that piece, another which I don't have time to read just now...! http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ad ... trong.html
sifter
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby dented on Tue 18/Sep/12 8:57am

Wobbler wrote:I wonder how long before someone makes a porno up there

:D
like like like
dented
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby disoriented on Tue 18/Sep/12 10:43am

Tugboat wrote:Outside magazine has just published a fantastic article Take a number that looks at how the rampant commercialism is killing people and ruining the mountain. What used to be an ultimate challenge is nothing more than a commodity provided the risks are managed.


Image


Hillary Step, just below the summit...
Image


I've often romanticised about the challenge of climbing Everest and the solitude of being on the summit.... clearly that notion is nowhere near the reality but I never thought the queues would be this bad!!! Hillary and Norgay would be turning in their graves if they saw the mountain this way.


I see a large untrack snow field on lookers left, shorly it's not that hard to climb around the que???? or are they all suffering so much from altitude sickness that the thought never occured to them?
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby Tugboat on Tue 18/Sep/12 11:11am

They're in a queue because that's where the fixed ropes are. You could go around them I guess if you disconnected. But that's probably like cutting in line at McDonalds.
Tugboat
User avatar
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby happybaboon on Tue 18/Sep/12 11:54am

disoriented wrote:I see a large untrack snow field on lookers left, shorly it's not that hard to climb around the que???? or are they all suffering so much from altitude sickness that the thought never occured to them?

Amateur mountaineers climbing up near vertical ice at >7,000m. What could possibly go wrong? :D

I reckon anyone who climbs Everest these days is a disrespectful wanker. Stepping over bodies to engage in rampant conspicuious extremeist tourism... What classy fuckers! Bet they're real proud.

Also taking way too huge a risk. One person fucking up could strand Christ knows how many people above them and kill dozens (which happens on a mountain somewhere in the Himalayas... what... every 1 or 2 years?)

Screw that shit. All round screw thatshit.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby disoriented on Tue 18/Sep/12 2:03pm

Tugboat wrote:They're in a queue because that's where the fixed ropes are. You could go around them I guess if you disconnected. But that's probably like cutting in line at McDonalds.


Them Guides have clearly never cut in line at Mcdees. In the circumstances that are presenting themselves on Everest it would be quicker and safer to pitch clients up than depending on the fixed ropes. Soloing it would be quicker still but not really an option for a guided client.

Someone should of at least thought about putting in one fixed line for up traffic and another on a variation of the route for down traffic, even though that creates a bigger logisical situation with having to take twice the amount of fixed line and ancohrs etc.
disoriented
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby Colin on Tue 18/Sep/12 2:15pm

Read the article dude. It was a mission to get fixed lines in place for the one route.
Colin
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby 928pedlr on Tue 18/Sep/12 4:47pm

Just not long ago finished reading Jon Krakaur's book Into thin air, and this sort of thing was an issue then just seems to be getting worse.
With numbers like this up there and many lacking any real mountaineering experiance its just time before a disaster worse than '96 happens up there, seems to be in many respects another case of have $$ can/will do what I want no matter what the risk to self or others.
It is personal choice to take the risk, but it would be good to see somebody applying the common sence factor to the numbers and experiance of climbers getting on the mountain.
928pedlr
User avatar
Member for: 7 years 8 months

Re: Everest - Join The Queue

Postby blitzer maloney on Tue 18/Sep/12 5:57pm

928pedlr wrote:Just not long ago finished reading Jon Krakaur's book Into thin air, and this sort of thing was an issue then just seems to be getting worse.
With numbers like this up there and many lacking any real mountaineering experiance its just time before a disaster worse than '96 happens up there, seems to be in many respects another case of have $$ can/will do what I want no matter what the risk to self or others.
It is personal choice to take the risk, but it would be good to see somebody applying the common sence factor to the numbers and experiance of climbers getting on the mountain.


It might seem like a common sense thing to do if you live in a country where you have clean running water, earn good money, trot off to the supermarket when the cupboard gets a bit low on bread and milk but when corrupt 3rd world govt officials who live in one of the poorest countries in the world can make goodness knows how much off each climber they send up there, then common sense it isn't.

BTW, now that you've read Krakauers 'very one sided' view on 96, give Anatoli Bourkreev's - The Climb, a read. It'll put Krakauers 'account' (I could use other words in place of account) into perspective somewhat.
blitzer maloney
Member for: 6 years 5 months

Climbing - Latest Posts

Who is online

52 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7