Re: An Ethical Question About Peoples Insides

Postby Spyder on Tue 5/May/09 9:57am

thorg wrote:Same issue with turning off life support and the "do not resussitate" (sp) debate, your wishes can be overrulled by next of kin.

The law needs to change to reflect the wishes of a person once they are dead, IMO.

Again, having discussions with your kin now, can prevent a lot of grief and help a lot of people later. If you explain to your family etc why you do/don't want to be a donor, or do/don't want to be cremated etc, then there is a much higher chance of that happening. Of course as you are now toast, you won't know what they are doing :hmmm:
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby Thermo on Tue 5/May/09 10:02am

I think if you felt strongly enough about donating your organs, you could get it tattooed on you. Some people have had "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on their chests for the same reason - to avoid a Terry Schiavo-type scenario.
Thermo
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby goldfish on Tue 5/May/09 10:15am

... well, you shouldn't be riding your bike the wrong way up the motorway humming the tune from Frogger, should you?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

- doesn't Enduring Power of Attorney cover these sort of things? (as long as you EPA listens to your wishes) ~turned to shit a bit for my family, as I was next of kin and didn't get a say, but I see how it should normally be a good idea in practice :huh: I've made a bunch of people my 'medical EPAs' so they all have to agree :)
goldfish
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby goldfish on Tue 5/May/09 10:17am

PS: go to the public trust and make a will (free) and set up EPAs (cheap). Public Trust rock.
goldfish
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby thorg on Tue 5/May/09 10:48am

Laws changed with EPA's recently - whole heap more complicated and costly as now both parties need to have had independant lawyermatastical advice (apparently, or so I have just heard recently, although one of the vorb lawyers should clear this up. . . ?)
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby DropKick on Tue 5/May/09 5:14pm

thorg wrote:
Same issue with turning off life support and the "do not resussitate" (sp) debate, your wishes can be overrulled by next of kin.

DNR's have no legality whatsoever, and family wishes dont matter, in the end its totally up to the doctor... (though he/she usually runs with what the family want, unless theres good reason to objectively decline them)
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Tue 5/May/09 8:38pm

DropKick wrote: its totally up to the doctor... (though he/she usually runs with what the family want, unless theres good reason to objectively decline them)

"I resuscitated them so I can keep billing you for their care" :thumbsup:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Health | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts