Re: An Ethical Question About Peoples Insides

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 4/May/09 10:40pm

:lol:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby ants06 on Mon 4/May/09 10:43pm

:butbut: :butbut: :butbut: i dont wana die
ants06
"Google first muppet"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Oli on Mon 4/May/09 11:15pm

istepinyards wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:I'd rather die cos Id worn out 105
You'd get far better longevity out of Dura-Ace anyway. If you use BBB then you will be dead tomorrow due to excessive inhalation of a buddies flatulence.
:lol:

And for Ants - sorry buddy, but it's just a matter of time. :(
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Oli on Mon 4/May/09 11:15pm

Hopefully a LONG time! :thumbsup:
Oli
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby radiusq on Mon 4/May/09 11:34pm

I would like to stipulate a one good organ, one bad organ policy. So if after my death someone wants my heart, then they can have it, no problem. However they'll also have to choose one bad organ or limb with likeliest candidates being my ears or feet, which have held me back throughout my life.
radiusq
"Zing-a-Ling-a-Ding"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby isnowi on Tue 5/May/09 6:37am

Another interesting conundrum raised earlier, what if you go to the ED seriously injured and they see that you are a donor, and they have a patient that needs a liver/heart/ belly button, and there is a match to you organs, can it be guaranteed that they will try as hard as they would if you were not a donor? I think that is the spectre that scares a lot of people off from putting themselves down as donors.

Cheers, Dan
isnowi
Member for: 8 years 5 months

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 5/May/09 6:59am

I say screw the wishes of people, harvest all of them if they are fucked... but I am an asshole :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 5/May/09 7:22am

Yup. Fuck culture, save lives
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 5/May/09 7:28am

Fuck land, I'm on a boat
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby neels on Tue 5/May/09 8:51am

I've got organ donor on my drivers licence, my family know what I want and they'd better say yes when asked or I'll haunt the fuck out of them for all eternity. This assumes of course that somebody would actually want my organs, which is dubious after what I've done to them while I've had the use of them :p
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 5/May/09 9:01am

yep. i say fuck the family. if the person wanted to donate their organs, bloody well let them. fuck all that cultural sensitivity bullshit. it was the person's decision not the fucking nosey poke fucked in the head family. i've told my family on no uncertain terms to let them have my organs (tho, i suspect my liver would be rejected through over use...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Bigfoot on Tue 5/May/09 9:25am

It's not even their decision, who cares - they are dead.
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby thecharmed01 on Tue 5/May/09 9:49am

stuart_rv wrote:
ants06 wrote:Hmmm im thinking a tattoo right by the heart say " take my organs biarch"

:withstupid: :thumbsup:

Hahahaha, you know a 90 year old lady did that for her first tattoo on one of them tv tattoo shop programs recently?
She tattooed "not for resucitation" across her chest LOL
I thought it was actually pretty cool at her age to make sure that her wishes were respected......
At 90, I am guessing you dont have as many years to wait as you do at 30.

isnowi wrote:Another interesting conundrum raised earlier, what if you go to the ED seriously injured and they see that you are a donor, and they have a patient that needs a liver/heart/ belly button, and there is a match to you organs, can it be guaranteed that they will try as hard as they would if you were not a donor? I think that is the spectre that scares a lot of people off from putting themselves down as donors.

The hippocratic (sp?) oath supposedly covers your ass in that one dude.
Doctors have to do their best to save you.......always!

But the other thing is that if you are a donor, they actually try to keep the body alive as long as possible because it gives them more time to find recipients and get the appropriate testing done.
If your body is dead, then they have a VERY short timeframe for the vitals such as heart, lungs etc before they are unuseable.
My 16 year old cousin 'died' in a car accident and they kept him on life support (after the clinically dead diagnosis) for 3 days as my aunt wanted him to be a donor. She wanted to allow other kids a chance at life, seeing as her son had lost his. He was brain dead but his organs were perfect and she asked them to take as much as they could and give as many other kids the second chances they desperately needed.
I remember the doctors asking us if we minded him staying on Life support another day or two.
My aunt was really ok with it as she said it would give us all a chance to say goodbye properly without having to see him in a box.
In the end, they were actually only able to take about half a dozen parts as the rest, there were no compatible recipients for them.......
thecharmed01
"Slave to Rogue"
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby faux_name on Tue 5/May/09 9:51am

:D
Last edited by faux_name on Thu 27/Mar/14 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.
faux_name
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby thorg on Tue 5/May/09 9:52am

Dont even think the law is/was ever racially/religious based???? It's about property rights, nothing more, nothing less. You own all your stuff when you are breathing, but you dont own it when your dead ('cause your dead, pretty simple that one really), but someone has to (get you burned/buried/eaten/sold). in current law the ownership of you moves to next of kin - it's about disposing of remains and liability, not cultural or religious beliefs.

Your decisions are only valid while you are alive, and when theses laws (or their predecessors) came about organ donations didnt happen - it's all just a hang over from an old system that hasnt kept up with modern thinking.

Same issue with turning off life support and the "do not resussitate" (sp) debate, your wishes can be overrulled by next of kin.

The law needs to change to reflect the wishes of a person once they are dead, IMO.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Health | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts