Re: An Ethical Question About Peoples Insides

Postby stuart_rv on Mon 4/May/09 9:21pm

ants06 wrote:Hmmm im thinking a tattoo right by the heart say " take my organs biarch"

:withstupid: :thumbsup:
stuart_rv
"So you say."
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Mr_Bob on Mon 4/May/09 9:24pm

ants06 wrote:See death actually scares the shit out of me...
due to the afterlife thing Im in trouble cremation or bury me? ....
but Im scared of going in the hole alive....
If the take organs no chance of that ....
but would i be allowed in to the "after life" miss in organs?...

and Im not religious i don't know what to believe , so i can see the issues :(

I'm getting cremated, They may as well have my organs.
I want my ashes spread over the redwoods in Rotovegas :cool:
Mr_Bob
"Pedal!"
Member for: 12 years 6 months

Postby faux_name on Mon 4/May/09 9:26pm

:D
Last edited by faux_name on Thu 27/Mar/14 3:38am, edited 1 time in total.
faux_name
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 4/May/09 9:28pm

DropKick wrote:I'm pretty sure with corneal transplants they only take the cornea not the whole eye (ie - you wouldnt be able to tell)

Even if they did take the whole eye a funeral home would be able to patch it up so it looks normal for viewing. Just bung a pingpong ball in there and close the eyelid over it! Nobody does open-eye dead body viewing do they? That would be creepy. Viewings alone give me the willies, let alone viewings with the deceased viewing right back at me....

Also I want my organs donated. Whatever is left I want to be fed to pigs, who in turn will be turned into delicious pigmeats like bacon, ham and salami.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 4/May/09 9:35pm

happybaboon wrote:
DropKick wrote:I'm pretty sure with corneal transplants they only take the cornea not the whole eye (ie - you wouldnt be able to tell)

Even if they did take the whole eye a funeral home would be able to patch it up so it looks normal for viewing. Just bung a pingpong ball in there and close the eyelid over it! Nobody does open-eye dead body viewing do they? That would be creepy. Viewings alone give me the willies, let alone viewings with the deceased viewing right back at me....

Also I want my organs donated. Whatever is left I want to be fed to pigs, who in turn will be turned into delicious pigmeats like bacon, ham and salami.

forever giving :love:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby znomit on Mon 4/May/09 9:42pm

There should be options
[ ] Not a donor
[x] Organ donor
[x] But not for medical students to play with
[x] and don't listen to my stupid family

stuart_rv wrote:If they have donor on their license then you would think that it would be all the consent required.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby DropKick on Mon 4/May/09 9:47pm

znomit wrote:[x] But not for medical students to play with

Dont worry, being an organ donor is in no way the same thing as donating your body for study. They go through thorough counselling, and most of them are old scientists :thumbsup:
DropKick
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 4/May/09 9:49pm

happybaboon wrote:Also I want my organs donated. Whatever is left I want to be fed to pigs, who in turn will be turned into delicious pigmeats like bacon, ham and salami.

Could there be a market for "eaten by pigs" as a form of eco-burial? The family could then get the pet pig back and either keep it as a pet or eat it for Christmas.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 4/May/09 9:50pm

:lol:
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Postby Spyder on Mon 4/May/09 9:54pm

It's simple really. Discuss the matter with your family now. When your time (eventually) comes, it won't be a surprise and they won't be trying to make a difficult decision while dealing with the grief/stress of your (impending) death.
Spyder
"A little inaccuracy sometimes saves a ton of explanation."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 4/May/09 9:56pm

the problem is not the permission as said but getting it in time to have useful donor bits
shmoodiver

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 4/May/09 10:25pm

DropKick wrote:As you know, in this modern age we can do wonderous things like take organs from one person and transplant them into another person whose own ones arent doing so flash.

However theres many people dying every year because the supply is much less than demand. Infact only ~30 people donate their organs a year. Yet probably the majority of us have "organ donor" on our drivers license.

The reason behind this low conversion rate is because the organ procurement guys arent allowed to go near donor candidate until the donors family are around to consent (often by the time the family is available the organs are no good to use anyway), then theres the families who say no, usually cos they are emotionally stressed, and primarily cos the donor in question never took the time to discuss it with his family.

I was thinking about it today, why are we letting dozens (if not hundreds) of organs going to waste every year from people who said on their license they want to, when we could skip the extra formalities and just go ahead and take them?
To the individual/family it sounds like a massive violation of rights, however its somewhat like paying income tax - in the end its for the benefit of greater society.

Your thoughts? :eh:

(not talking about taking them from people who say no on drivers license here)...

Im pissed about this too, cos if I ever get to the state when someone else can use my organs cos I dont need them anymore and Ive said so on my license then thats my decision and the family shouldnt have any say in it, whether I have discussed it with them or not!! :angry:

They're my organs, I say what happens to them at all times, whether Im alive or dead!
Course Id rather die cos Id worn them all out at 105, than be run over by a rednek in an SUV tomorrow, but thats a whole different story! :D
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby michael on Mon 4/May/09 10:32pm

Just as long as the people in the hospital don't know I'm an organ donor when I turn up half dead in the emergency room.
michael

Postby istepinyards on Mon 4/May/09 10:35pm

Percy Pig wrote:I'd rather die cos Id worn out 105
You'd get far better longevity out of Dura-Ace anyway. If you use BBB then you will be dead tomorrow due to excessive inhalation of a buddies flatulence.
istepinyards
"I'm not arrogant, I am just better than you. That is a scientific fact."
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 4/May/09 10:40pm

istepinyards wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:I'd rather die cos Id worn out 105
You'd get far better longevity out of Dura-Ace anyway. If you use BBB then you will be dead tomorrow due to excessive inhalation of a buddies flatulence.

More likely the buddy will be dead cos of my flatulence!! :lol:

Not that Id be in front anyway, I have almost reached a new height of unfitness! :blush:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"

Health | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts