Re: Epic Race Needed

Postby crazychris on Mon 24/Jan/11 11:35am

Iseneye wrote:There's a race through the rail trail. I can't find the date though. I think it's sometime in Spring?

Yep, the Rail Trail Classic 100 (mile) - a decent distance, and timeframe, and we could do the race there, then ride back again after the prizegiving.
crazychris
"Fitness and Fatness, now in equal measures!"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Postby Iseneye on Mon 24/Jan/11 12:54pm

Excuse the ignorant question here but what enjoyment / satisfaction does your blind mate get from bike riding? It's something that I can't comprehend because I'm not blind.

I read about a blind guy who did the rainbow on a tandem but he was able to see previously so was able to reimagine the landscape. Do you describe what you are seeing to your mate?
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 24/Jan/11 1:31pm

Iseneye wrote:Excuse the ignorant question here but what enjoyment / satisfaction does your blind mate get from bike riding? It's something that I can't comprehend because I'm not blind.

I read about a blind guy who did the rainbow on a tandem but he was able to see previously so was able to reimagine the landscape. Do you describe what you are seeing to your mate?

Nope, the only descriptions I give him are "man, that was close" or "crikey, glad we missed that" or a call on an obstacle (hill/rock/fence/sheep) that is coming up.

He's done all sorts of activities in the past while blind, including an iron man, but he by far prefers the trails to the tar seal on a bike. For a blind person, being on the back of a road bike is like being on a wind trainer. Dull. Once we go offroad we encounter all sorts of different terrains, hills, descents, grass, mud, sand and more. He can tell what we're riding on by feel and on some of the trails (like McLeans) he is able to map out the corners in some stages, usually the ones where we have almost come a cropper on times beforehand. I imagine it's like riding a roller coaster with your eyes closed!! :o

Do you MTB for the scenery, or the challenge? Pinch climbs, scary descents, tight corners, unknown terrain, it's all there. Now imagine you are riding your favourite track with your eyes closed. All of the excitement is still there, you just can't see how close the near misses are.
crazychris

Postby sifter on Mon 24/Jan/11 1:35pm

What about the Lake Hawea race? http://www.contactepic.co.nz/index.html
sifter
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby Tinkerbell on Mon 24/Jan/11 1:47pm

:withstupid:

I'm considering training for that next year, sounds awesome. By all accounts a very hard race.
Tinkerbell
"I am smiling"
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby crazychris on Mon 24/Jan/11 1:54pm

sifter wrote:What about the Lake Hawea race? http://www.contactepic.co.nz/index.html

I'd forgotten all about that one! Crikey, it's pretty soon (81 days)

I'll check that puppy out :)
crazychris

Postby jacks0n0 on Mon 24/Jan/11 2:24pm

Surely the most tandem suitable long mountian bike race in the country would be the one around Hawea (not sure what its called or when it is mind you).

On another note, Rose and I are moving to Chch in the next month so you'll soon see us in the hills on our tandem. We should catch up for a ride some time (we go fast on the ups mind you!)
jacks0n0
Member for: 13 years 0 months

Postby Iseneye on Mon 24/Jan/11 8:17pm

sifter wrote:What about the Lake Hawea race? http://www.contactepic.co.nz/index.html

I did it last year and it was awesome apart from the freezing cold rain. There are lots of little pinch climbs once you get off the tarseal which drained me pretty quickly. Should be well rideable on a tandem. There's one river crossing at the top which is pretty easy.
Iseneye
Member for: 8 years 10 months

Postby Hass on Mon 27/Jun/11 10:00pm

Just spotted your Tandem info---yep Bannockburn Gutbuster is a Goodie---have done it twice on on a tandem--1st ones to do so----dont charge you double to enter as most other races---you can stay at the Bannockburn campground. Bus/bike transport is provided for a very nominal fee to the start at Garston.
Ends out side the Bannockburn pub. Make sure you have big discs for the descent into Bannockburn from Duffers saddle---fast & steep!!
Hass
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Postby blackadder63 on Wed 29/Jun/11 8:39pm

Good thread dredge by Hass! :thumbsup:
blackadder63
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Postby Hass on Fri 1/Jul/11 7:17pm

Did the rail trail race about 3 years back on our Tandem....clyde to Middlemarch---bit boring & also incredibly frustrating due to the race requirement of dismounting at EVERY cross roads where a marshal was stationed, [lots of them, where visibility is great]. Bit of a pain re logistics as well.
Hass
Member for: 7 years 7 months

Cycling | Tandem - Latest Posts